Praise for dealer - stunorthants26
What with reading so many episodes of dealers dodging warranty claims, I was heartned by the superb treatment from my local Suzuki dealer.

I had been hearing what I can only describe as a 'hiss' from the back axle when the engine was under load in higher gears. You could hardly hear it when it was full of things but empty, it was certainly there. Bearing in mind that the 3 year warranty runs out December, I thought I would pop into my dealer and just get it checked, fully expecting to be told 'theyre all like that' or something to that effect.

The manager took it out for a drive and then spent 15 mins with it on a ramp checking the fluid and checking anything else that could have been making the noise.
He said normally you would look to the tyres and wheel bearings but they were perfect and it must be coming from the back axle somewhere and was happy to confirm that it was certainly not normal and that he would like to have it in for three days so they can strip it down and see whats causing it, replacing whatever was required.

What so impressed me was that despite it being neither a serious sounding noise nor any insistance on my part that it was definately a problem, they took it completely serious, made a complete assessment of the noise and at no point did I feel that they wanted to do anything but make sure my van was totally 'right'.
Really made me smile that there are still customer focussed dealers out there who take even the most seemingly minor noise seriously.
Praise for dealer - Avant
I expect it's a family-owned business and not a group-controlled glass palace.

But credit to Ridgeway VW (Reading) this morning: they and the handbook had said that a Golf V 2.0 TDI needs servicing every 10,000 miles, which they duly did this morning only to find out that my servicing plan with VW Finance covers only variable-interval 'long life' servicing. VW Finance typically hadn't told anyone, but wouldn't authorise the 10,000 mile service. But Ridgeway didn't charge me - good for them.
>>I expect it's a family-owned business and not a group-controlled glass palace.<<

Well its part of the Co-op group, so perhaps family owned but by no means part of a small operation which makes it even more impressive.
Following on. They rebuilt the rear axle with new bearings but it came back far noiser than it went in - not good at all and after two days with the new noiser back end ( it now sounds similar to driving with the brakes on slightly, plus its gained some whine aswell ), I went back in and said sorry but I cant accept it as it is.

Much to my suprise, without any hesitation, he went straight to the diary and said they would need the van for a week, so they have time to test it and rebuild it, more than once if needs be. Loan car was a given, nice that I didnt have to ask and not a hint even that I was a fussy moaner.

Heres hoping they manage to sort it out. I get the impression that its not a normal problem and as such, they are going blind ( manager said he would get onto 'technical' see if they have any suggestions ).
Still very happy with them though as atleast they are willing and trying to help.
Praise for dealer - L'escargot
......... I was heartned by
the superb treatment from my local Suzuki dealer.

And I'm heartened to read someone on this forum (other then me) praising a franchised dealer. I've not come across a bad one in 40-odd years. I accept that I may have been lucky, but 40 years is a lot of experience.

Praise for dealer - Clk Sec
>>(other then me)

Not just you, L'escargot. My Mazda dealer has been mentioned on several occasions.

Ruler on knuckles !

Clk Sec
Praise for dealer - niceguyeddy
Were not all bad guys ............. good question re family owned dealer ... the bigger the group the worse they normally are ... yes I know thats a huge generalisation on my part but alas an accurate one (from my experiance of 20 years in the trade)

Nice to see positive comments though !!!
Praise for dealer - DP
I've sung the praises of our local Renault main agent on several occasions and am happy to do so again.

Small, family concern which has only these premises (i.e. not a chain). Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable desk staff, no quibbles over the two, admittedly minor, warranty claims needed, and the technician who does the service signs his name legibly on the checksheet. If you have queries, they will put him on the phone or ask him to come through so you can speak directly to him.

I cannot find fault with the work at all - the car comes back clean, with everything torqued up perfectly whether it's the sump plug or the wheelbolts. All hinges and latches are greased, fluid levels and tyre pressures bang on the money, and the measurements for tyre tread and remaining brake pad material are exactly as you find on the car. No pressure for extra work to be done either - we got an advisory on the front pads, but told they should be OK til the next service, but to just keep an eye on them. 5k off the next service and they will indeed make it.

Basically, you get the full service that you pay for. And at £260 all in for the "major" B service, not exorbitantly priced either, especially considering that the car only needs servicing every 18,000 miles to comply with the manufacturer's requirements.

Cheers
DP

Praise for dealer - boxsterboy
Yes, and over the last 5 years I've always been happy with the service from our local Citroen dealer.
Praise for dealer - Avant
Rightly, we mustn't name and shame, but no reason why we can't name and praise. Cross Roads Garage in Oxfordshire have been an excellent Renault dealer for many years, owned throughout by the Cliff family. Would you like to tell us who yours is, DP?

Edited by Avant on 26/03/2008 at 20:46

Praise for dealer - Martin Devon
MEGA unimpressed by Renault dealers (2) except for one chap who appears human.

The rest actually don't give two hoots, but I am really quite fond of the Master van (02)

MD
Praise for dealer - vulcan7
Hi
How about naming the Mazda Dealer then I might be needing one soon be great if it's in northwest!
Praise for dealer - Clk Sec
Nowhere near you vulcan7, I'm afraid.

Clk Sec
Praise for dealer - DP
Would you like to tell us who yours is DP?

No probs.

Thomas Day Motors in Fleet, Hampshire.

Cheers
DP
Praise for dealer - Billy Whizz
Thomas Day. I knew them well 10-15 years ago when they were Rover dealers. They looked after a lot of palace cars (inc. Diana's IIRC). They were also consistently at the top of the customer satisfaction charts back then.
Praise for dealer - DP
They still look after MG Rovers to this day, and still carry the Royal Warrant.

Just all round nice people to deal with. They really tried hard to sell me a Scenic as well, but unfortunately couldn't find the spec we wanted within the timescales. Actually brought a car to our house on a Saturday for us to drive and look at, but it was a 1.5dCi and we wanted the 1.9.

The salesman was so helpful, I even apologised in person for not buying from him, but I have since passed a new Clio deal his way, so he got something out of it.

Cheers
DP
Praise for dealer - Westpig
i'm convinced that for people like me who live in/near a large city that it's worthwhile taking a journey at service time, booking in a hotel (there's always deals to be had) or staying with frineds/relatives and using a decent garage such as those posted above

A, your car is more likely to be looked after properly
B, the cost of the hotel is negated somewhat by the saving in city dealer prices
C, It's an excuse to have a weekend away

the indifference of garages in densely populated areas can be infuriating