2004 No engine details provided - flywheel - corrie
Hi
I have started to experience a strange noise with my rav, took it to main deelers and they informed me i need a new flywheel! and the cost with be minimum £1600, when i queried why flywheel should develope a problem at 46k, they then informed me they would contact Toyota to see if they can assist with repair! Has anyone else experienced this problem, if so was toyota prepared to help with cost.
All replies gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Corrie

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 12:38

flywheel - Screwloose
Corrie

Dual-mass flywheels now fail in droves - particularly on these; whether you'll get any goodwill warranty will largely depend on service history - although it doesn't make an iota of difference.

They call it progress.....
flywheel - 02skn
Try toyotaownersclub.com and click on forums.Go to the Rav4 section and you will see a thread dedicated to this problem. If i remember Toyota gave an extended warranty on this part but it was only 60k or 5 years from new. As this affected 2002-early 2003 cars the extended warranty is now void.Hope this helps.

Edited by 02skn on 25/03/2008 at 18:46

flywheel - Dynamic Dave
As this affected 2002-early 2003 cars the extended warranty is now void.Hope this helps.

Who knows. No year or engine details mentioned, despite 3 separate requests asking for this TO BE INCLUDED in the subject line.
flywheel - 02skn
This is the statement form Toyota GB regarding this matter;

?The issue regarding Dual Mass Flywheels relates to RAV4 CLA20 and CLA21 models (early diesel vehicles) and was found to be that under hard use (towing etc) the flywheel securing bolts were unable to provide sufficient tightness. This was remedied by an improved flywheel and revised fastening and tightening processes, which were introduced into RAV4 vehicle production from August 2002. The improvements were made from VIN numbers,

JT EYG20V400009863
JT EHG20V600026183
JT EHG20V606013132

With our commitment to customer satisfaction the warranty was extended for a period outside of the normal 3 year or 60,000 mile warranty. Because a production line fix was introduced from August 2002 claims would only be accepted on vehicles manufactured prior to this date. This extended period ran for 5 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) and as such would therefore have expired in August 2007. I have to confirm that no extra time or mileage will be added to this warranty extension and all Toyota Centres are aware of the above information.

My recommendation would be that owners who experience a failure outside of this period should contact their Toyota Centre and if they feel it appropriate, contact would be made to our Customer Relations Department for their consideration
flywheel - corrie
Hi
Have been in contact with toyota again today and they have agreed that although my car is registered 04 the flywheel/clutch is covered by warrenty and they will cover the cost of repairs. Thanks for the replies
Corrie
flywheel - madmike
hi,,
it seems i have just encountered the same flywheel fault,,, ouch...

my rav4 is a cla21 2.0D4D.
registered in june 2003 which makes it less than 5 yrs old, and has less than 70k on the clock, so i remember as it's broken down in the town.....

i spoke to local toyota dealer, their not interseted at all, if it was less than 60k they would of helped out....

i read with interest the official statement post about the 5yr/100k extension issued by toyota but i can find no reference to it on their site...

could you guys really help me out here with a link or something to the official statement as issued by toyota and if you think my rav4 looks like it maybe inside their extension...

i need to arm myself well before i rise to the challenge of toyota customer services uk..

thx for yr time
regards mike
flywheel - SueW
I have had the misfortune this week of having to pay £1500 for a new flywheel for my Toyota Rav4 Diesel. It had done only 47,000 miles. The terrible thing is that this is the second Rav4 I have owned and the second broken flywheel at around the same mileage. What possessed me to buy a second one I don't know. I was assured at the time that there was no chance of the same thing happening again.
When the first one went in 2007 there was an issue with Toyota diesels and broken flywheels admitted to me by customer services. I did get some financial help, but only I suspect because I bought another car. This time Toyota has washed its hands of any responsibility. Apparently my car is too new to have the faulty flywheel as they have been moderated and too old for them to show me any goodwill.
It is more than a coincidence for two Rav4s to have broken flywheels at the same low mileage. I am writing to Toyota to follow up the phonecall but I am not optimistic. I have also started to contact the motoring press. Any suggestions?

Sue