Digital Tyre gauges - again - oldgit
In my time, I have bought two such gauges but found them lacking in their ability in being able to seal quickly and accurately with the Schrader valve.
The problem seems to be that the sealing 'rubber' material in the gauge is too hard and not resilient enough to form an immediated seal without letting out unnecessary tyre air thus having to often input more air than should have been necessary.
I have bought a pistol grip-shaped one and a De Luxe one, both from Halfords but I was wondering if anyone knew of something more reliable - would like one with a digital readout?
Digital Tyre gauges - again - dnc1781
Tyre Pressure Gauges - AutoExpress product test April 2006
tinyurl.com/2z5ccs

HTH
Digital Tyre gauges - again - Billy Whizz
My main gauge is the Accutire Mechanic's Digital Pressure Gauge which I have had for about 5 years (it also won several tests back then). It works fine but the read out is only in psi which is ok in UK but less handy elsewhere because non-UK handbooks and tyre pressure door stickers don't usually quote psi.
Tyre Pressure Gauges - AutoExpress product test April 2006
tinyurl.com/2z5ccs
HTH

Yes, I have read that report but not convinced by the findings. I believe they liked a key ring digital gauge, also sold in Halfords but the rubber insert looks hard and inflexible just like a new hot water tap washer!
If I were still at work and in my laboratory, I would have had access to many types and thicknesses of Silicone rubber and sets of cork borers and so could have solved the problem of poor choice of sealing materials.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - Red Baron
I use the previous generation £9.99 gauge from Halfords.

Work fine for me.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - DP
I too have an old Halfords keyring gauge which cost me £9.99 about 3 yrs ago, and has served me well. This was recommended in a RiDE (motorcycle) magazine article as being one of the most accurate at anything like its price. It's robust too having survived drops and being trodden on several times.
Can't say I've noticed air leaking when using it either.
I also bought a Tesco equivalent in a "bargain bin" in the local store which cost just £2. Gives the same readings as the Halfords gauge every time.

Cheers
DP
Digital Tyre gauges - again - Hamsafar
Why do you want digital? I find they only last a few years and the displays go off. I got an analogue one as shown on the autoexpress link ***** from Frosts, never locked back, the only drawback is it is a lot heavier and bulkier, it is easier to see in poor light such as dark or bright sunlight.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - paul19
Hi i bought a halfords "rapid tyre inflator" (or something like that - black compressor with orange/yellow ring around the digital pressure gauge and built in light) mainly because i was sick of getting significantly different readings each time i visited garage forecourts. This one was voted one of the most accurate and best buy on autoexpress.

I have found it really good and does exactly what it claims, even better news, i was in halfords today and its reduced from £37 (what i paid) to £17.99. Well worth the money

paul
Digital Tyre gauges - again - buzbee
I have a couple of digital ones. I found it necessary to adjust the height of the tit (above the rubber) to improve the air loss before the gauge read. I did this by taking the rubber out and putting something underneath it but I can't remember now what I used.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - muki_munky
I must get one. I am so fed up with getting new tyres put on at a garage & they stick the first double number that comes in thier heads into my poor tyre.
When I took my Williams in with 29psi it came out with 32! How annoying.
I found it necessary to adjust the height
of the tit (above the rubber) to improve the air loss before the gauge read.
I did this by taking the rubber out and putting something underneath it but I
can't remember now what I used.

Been there, done that but it's awfully fiddly trying to find the right compound and form it such that it will sit cleanly around the gauge's air intake.
The pistol-shaped one, I gave my sister is the easiest one to hold and seals well because of my alterations. Perhaps my Halford's one (the de luxe one) is giving problems because of the time of year and the fact that it is kept in what has been a cold environment for several months. Perhaps I should keep it in a warm house?
However it still comes down to poor design and not enough thought by the people who source these products.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - paul19
The halfords one i mentioned before compensates for this. you set the digital guage to your desired setting and it will over inflate by about 1 psi to allow for the air loss in removing the valve
Digital Tyre gauges - again - J Bonington Jagworth
Surely the loss of air is to do with the gap between releasing the Schrader valve (pushing the pin down) and the rubber seal making contact with the barrel of the valve? There's a knack to doing it quickly and cleanly, but the amount of air involved shouldn't be significant, as long as the rubber seal on the gauge is clean. A wipe with a Q-tip might help...

I have a Halfords one, and it seems to work well. The bit that releases the valve may even be adjustable, but I don't suppose all tyre valves open at exactly the same position!
I take on board all that you have all said but it still comes down to the sealing 'rubber' being of insufficient resilience, softness or elasitcity (whatever you want to call it).

A quick push onto the valve, even if the that means that operation is not done with 100% accuracy with respect to mating surfaces (thus avoiding air escaping) would be obviated by better choice of material - I shall now experiment with my so-called De Luxe gauge. I think that I had got an old spongy rubber mouse mat somwhere which might, if I can cut a very small circular disc out with a hole in the middle, suffice.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - normd2
I had a bit of a clear out the other day and came across two old tyre gauges; they look like chrome pens and the reading is given from a central core that slides out once it's put onto the valve. They've got to be 30 years old at least, require no batteries and still give accurate readings when compared with my modern 12v compressor.
Digital Tyre gauges - again - J Bonington Jagworth
They were very good, as I recall. I've often wondered how they worked (but clearly, not quite enough to pursue the matter!)
Digital Tyre gauges - again - Alby Back
Still use mine.