CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - telecaster
Took my bike today for a 60 mile round trip,I noticed it felt a bit chuggy and wasn't as smooth as normal

Also on a dual carrigeaway while overtaking some cars 80-90mph I thought I could see smoke coming from the exhaust in my mirror(blacky/blue smoke).

Anyway on the return journey bike did not feel quiet right,like it was being restricted or holding back. when I returned home I gave the bike a good rev while idling...lo and behold I got the occasional puff of black smoke from exhaust.

My first thoughts were contaminated fuel...so I emptied the tank with on of them suction pumps(the type you suck engine oil from car sumps without removing sump plug).

I then got a gallon of fresh fuel and put it in the tank......tried it on the starter and bike refused to fire.....I eventually flattened the battery trying to start it, I have it on an optimate as I speak.

I am wondering if when I drained the tank did I create an air lock?(if thats possible)
If the fuel was contaminated should draining tank and refilling have cured that?
Or have I got a dicky battery?

The bike has only covered 1,700 miles , I dont want to go pulling the tank off to look at the plugs or anything as I am going to ring the dealer tomm morning.

Any help appreciated so I dont want to look a pratt if it turns out to be something simple!

Edited by Webmaster on 25/03/2008 at 00:33

CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - Armitage Shanks {p}
As an 'ex' biker I think I can safely say that you wouldn't have caused an airlock of any sort by sucking fuel out of the tank thru the filler cap. If the bike has only done 1700 miles it is surely under warranty? Dealer collects or calls and fixes it? That said, I have a feeling that a CBF 1000 is an old model and you mean it has done 1700 miles since you bought it 2nd hand. However, even if 2nd hand there is surely some warranty in place?
CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - AndyT
The 'new' CBF 1000 is still a current model, and has fuel injection (at least on the latest model).

Assuming yours is fuel injection, I imagine you should hear the fuel pump prime for a few secs when the key is turned on. I would also probably check the kill switch, and sidestand switch (if fitted), are working ok.

But, if it is under warranty, then it's someone else's problem...as long as you haven't put diesel in it!! :o)
Cheers guys...you are correct Andy..it is the "new" cbf, mine is a 2006 model with fuel injection as you state.

Am hoping it is only a dicky battery or something simple, will ring the dealer and let you know how I get on
Further to my query yesterday I forgot to mention that the oil level seemed to rise in the sight glass(ie:filled the sight glass.......really confusing.)

I am guessing I released about half a pint to bring it back to the correct level.....for all the good it did..still no start!

Rang the dealer(independent)thisd morn and spoke to his mechanic(dealer himself wasn't there...shock horror).He told me he would call me when he came back...still waiting.

Decided to have a peek myself so took the tank off...a pig of a job in itself!
After a lot of removing coils, breather pipes etc I managed to get at the plugs.
Number 1 plug barely screwed in and number 3 ditto, took all 4 out and were soaked.

Cleaned up and dried the plugs and put the whole shebang back together.....fired immediately. Bike even sounds better....I could have been running on 2/3 cylinders when I bought it????????

Anyway my thinking on the sump level rising is with 2 cylinders not firing petrol seeped into the sump......is this feasible?????????

Am HAPPY CAMPER ANYWAY!
CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - AndyT
Good to hear you got it going, but you'd better change the oil before going too far. I think you're probably right about the petrol leaking into the sump, as the only other reason would be the coolant leaking through the head gasket. Can't you detect a smell of petrol from the oil?

Thanks Andy.....didn't put my nose too close to the oil, but will change it regardless!
CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - gronno

It's unlikely that there will be fuel in the oil, more likely that the last service (!) was done poorly, hence loose plugs and oil level too high. Try cbf1000.com for loads of help with the CBF.

CBF 1000 motorcycle - smoky, and now won't start. - craig-pd130

Yes, loose plugs will only fire intermittently because you're losing compression and making a poor earth. The oil level will have risen because the fuel isn't being ignited, and is going past the piston rings into the sump.

New plugs, properly torqued down, and new oil & filter needed :)