Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Billy Whizz
Following on from some points raised in the recent Tyre Tread Depth and when to replace thread about how new cheap tyres perform compared to worn premium ones I thought you might be interested to read the following.

Which? claim in their March 2008 edition that their tyre testing is more thorough than any other UK magazine. As a result of their latest test of tyres for medium size cars and super-minis they recommend Don?t Buy the following: QUOTE

175/65 R14T
We found the Avon CR322 Enviro was particularly poor in wet conditions A key weakness appeared to be when braking and gripping on a bend in wet conditions. Guide price: £43 Overall Score 28%

Even though the Tigar TG 621 was the cheapest tyre we tested, we certainly don?t think it is a bargain. We found that the tyre gave unsatisfactory wet grip and poor wet braking performance. £33 Score 25%

At around £35 the Trayal T400 might seem like a bargain. But we don?t think it is. We found it was the absolute worst of all the 175/65 R14T tyres we tested for gripping in both wet and dry conditions. £35 Score 20%

195/65R15V
We found the Wanli S1095 was so bad at braking in the wet that it travelled nearly 20m further before stopping than the best tyre on test. It was also poor for dry grip on both the straight and bends. £39 Score 10%
So when the car fitted with Pirelli P6 tyres stopped the same car with Wanlis was still doing 30mph ? that could be a severe shunt.

The score ignores price and is based on
Wet road grip 40%
Dry road grip 20%
Wear 20%
Rolling resistance 10%
Noise 10%
Test scores cannot be compared between the sizes.

As for cost, three Best Buys come in below average, the Fulda [EcoControl 175/65 R14T £40 Score 63%], the Dunlop [SP Sport Fastresponse 195/65R15V £53 Score 62%] and the Vredestein [Sporttrac 3 195/65R15V £57 Score 62%] gave top performance at a budget price.

END QUOTES

The winner of the 175/65 R14T was Pirelli P4 £48 Score 68%
The winner of the 195/65R15V was Bridgestone Turanza £64 Score 65%

The Fulda was the only tyre that was awarded Exceptional Value. More details of all Which? tyre tests at www.which.co.uk/tyres

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/03/2008 at 20:53

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Peter S
With the exception of Avon, I've never heard of any of those brands/manufacturers in the don't buy' list...

Peter

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/03/2008 at 20:53

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Hamsafar
Wanli is quite a popular Chinese make.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - RaineMan
Tigar tyres seem quite popular on cheapie run-abouts sold by small sub-prime dealers.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - yorkiebar
There are people who want cheap tyres for their cars that never even get to 30mph, that they use for local commuting, nip into town etc etc.

If you are putting cheap tyres on for performance/grip then I agree with therecommendations. If you are putting tyres on to keep the car for this use then whats the problem?

Horses for courses maybe?
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - crunch_time
I had a pair of Tigar's on a car about 15 years ago. They had kerbing rings, which was nice.

What wasn't nice was the horrendously noisy (think outboard motor) racket when they began to self-oscillate at anything above 65mph. Had to get rid of them long before they had any wear. Balancing did nothing.

Hope they're not all like that.

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Pugugly
That was probably a "design feature" to stop them being over-stressed at speed !
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - vmturbo

Regarding vibration

Did you check that the tyres were truly round? I had this problem about forty years ago with a Mini. One jacks-up one wheel at a time. Next place a brick next to the tread and rotate the wheel. The gap between the tread and the brick should remain absolutely constant.

I read about a Jaguar owner with the same fault on new and expensive tyres! The tyre fitters cured the problem by grinding or sanding the oval tyre until it was truly round. Obviously if the out of round is more than a couple of millimetres this cannot be done.

That Mini tyre was a real PITA and it took ages for me to find the fault. Wheel balance, brakes, driveshafts and bearings were all beyond reproach but vibration would occur between 50 and 60 mph. Faster or slower than that and it would be OK. It was of course the tyre that got roasted with the heat from the radiator. Grrrrr!

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - BazzaBear {P}
If you are putting cheap tyres on for performance/grip then I agree with therecommendations. If
you are putting tyres on to keep the car for this use then whats the
problem?
Horses for courses maybe?

The problem isn't the use you're intending to put it to, it's what happens that you're not expecting.
Even a 30mph runabout might, that one time, need to emergency brake. It's that one occasion which matters.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Number_Cruncher
>>it's what happens that you're not expecting.

To me, this is the vital point.

Perhaps the tyre testing results would be better ranked in order of wet grip expressed as a fraction of dry grip. In this way, the temperamental tyres which are most sensitive to conditions would languish at the foot of such a list.

The idea of not getting what you expect is, again for me, where parallels can be drawn between safety and quality.

I have no problem with cheap tyres per se just those which are so much worse than others. E.g. for £2 a tyre more than the Wanli, one could buy a Barum which performs adequately (with a score of 57%).

There is no place in the UK for such a poor tyre as this Wanli.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - corblimeyguvnar
I am more worried about the Corsa, Clio, Saxo mob with their big exhausts and blue washer jets that ARE zooming around on second/third/fourth hand alloys with such well known and quality tyres as Wanlis, Tigars, Kingstires, Heros, Goodrides, Infinitys and Chengshans.
I've sold a few sets of alloys over the past year (shed clearout due to er indoors giving me the 'sell um or dump um' ultimatum) and the youngsters which have bought or came to view had no interest whatsoever what the tyre make or quality was as long as there is legal tread left. I must add I have then pointed out minimum legal tread is not what they should be happy with, but I dont think it sunk in in most cases.
I reckon you are more likely to be rear ended by one of these youngsters than rear end someone if you are driving with these spurious quality tyres on your own motor.

CBG

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Galad
I have a set of Trayals on my Mazda 323TD supplied and fitted by a reliable local fast-fit (£28 each!) and there's 20k on them with no problems at all.
Galad, are they T400s?
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - craneboy
I have a set of Trayals on my Mazda 323TD supplied and fitted by a
reliable local fast-fit (£28 each!) and there's 20k on them with no problems at all.

I dont think mileage is the issue here. In fact many of the cheaper tyres have incredibly high tread wear ratings (400+) and are impossible to wear out. About as grippy as a billiard ball though.
and there's 20k on them with no problems at all.>>

But he also said, with no problem at all, which i assume he meant, he is happy with their performance/grip?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/03/2008 at 17:18

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - gordonbennet
(copied from other thread which i wrongly posted this in, sorry mods...confusion reigns)

I'm very inclined to agree with NC that the number one most important thing about tyres is the wet grip.
This far outweighs any other consideration for me.

There are some very capable tyres as well as other products made in the far east, but not everything made there is good, same as not everything made nearer to home is good.

I think its good to see these different reports and tests, and it helps to keep the mainstream established makers on their toes and hopefully stops them becoming complacent.

I will buy products made just about anywhere as long as they are to the standards i require, however i do think tyres and brakes are two very special exceptions in the strive for cheapness, and i will always try and buy the best i can afford of both.

Aside from that, if i can i buy goods from countries who have proper health and safety and pay and pension provision. (A level playing field?) I used to always buy British at one time when we still made things (as against assembling them for foreign owned companies), and i was often made to feel like some sort of madman for doing so

It always amazes me when i've looked at sometimes very expensive cars that someone has fitted with Chinese ditchfinders, i always walk away as i suspect the servicing and care has been equally cheap.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/03/2008 at 13:39

I am not a "cheap tyre" fan, despite all my apparant support for them.

However, all i am trying to highlight is that they do have a place and are not automatically bad.

My real point is that tyres should not be a fit and forget product. Whatever is fitted it needs looking at regularly (another reason for regular servicing rtaher than high mileage intervals!). Any problems that do arise should then be spotted before any real problem occurs!

I see too many cars that have famous name tyres on them in such poor condition it annoys me. Hence my apparant support for cheaper tyres. I do believe that at least the people with them fitted are looking at their tyres, are thinking of their safety (right or wrong!) and hence may drive safer (more thought involved)

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - BazzaBear {P}

Hence my apparent support for cheaper tyres. I do believe that
at least the people with them fitted are looking at their tyres are thinking of
their safety (right or wrong!) and hence may drive safer (more thought involved)

But why do you feel it more likely that an owner of cheap tyres regularly checks them than the owner of a brand name tyre?
Because they have got them fitted, means that they looked at their tyres and had them changed.

In my experience its the better known brands that are run to the last possible mile (probably because so expensive to replace).

People can afford budget tyres, so they get changed. they cant afford dear ones, so they dont.

And I know its not an exact science. But look at a lot of cars and form your own opinion?
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - smokescreen
I am more worried about the Corsa Clio Saxo mob with their big exhausts and
blue washer jets that ARE zooming around on second/third/fourth hand alloys with such well known
and quality tyres as Wanlis Tigars Kingstires Heros Goodrides Infinitys and Chengshans.

Isnt just limited to the Corsa/Clio/Saxo mob either. I have seen many BMWs and Subaru Imprezas in the north east with either practically bare tyres or one of those quality brans such as Tigar and co on the lowest of profiles.

Some things never cease to amaze me.
Quite right - anything other than a 316 or 318 ion something other than properly made and specc'd rear tyres is asking for a whole load of rear end trouble, especially from a pilot who has just graduated from a fwd hatch. Tyres on a Beemer with an engine of note are critical.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - bell boy
Tigar tyres seem quite popular on cheapie run-abouts sold by small sub-prime dealers.

>>>>>>>> dont come to me then as i will fit a kingpin remould....

to RaineMan :-)

Edited by bell boy on 21/11/2009 at 11:17

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - jbif
More details of all Which? tyre tests at www.which.co.uk/tyres

I always believed that the copyright of Which? reports was jealously guarded. Does the extent of material within QUOTES by BillyWhizz mean that Which? magazine is now relaxed about copyright?

Edited by jbif on 23/03/2008 at 14:10

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Stevieboy
I don't know why people skimp and buy cheap tyres.

My wife's non-performance barge of a rust bucket (valued at 250 quid) has named brand high performance all weather tyres - you know - the sort with the large center groove.

Just not worth skimping on the rubber if you want to avoid an accident ;-)
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Alby Back
Can't remember where I saw this but I do remember thinking that I agreed -

Some things which come to you with experience -

Don't bother with cheap Whisky
Wear good shoes
Don't have your jeans too tight
Don't skimp on tyres
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Galad
>But he also said, with no problem at all, which i assume he meant, he is happy with their performance/grip>

Precisely, in fact an elderly gent pulled out of a side road on me recently and, with the help of ABS, I did an emergency stop in a straight line from 50mph on a wet surface.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Paul I
But which is better Wanli with 7-8 mm on or Michelins at 1.6-2.0 mm ? The thing is with any test it's subjective to situation, weather, vehicle type, psi etc
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - dxp55
Years ago - must have been late 60's I had a Ford Zodiac Mk2 and had some "Gislaved" Swedish (I think) tyres fitted on front - going up Bristol road in Brum heading to Longbridge Island in wet I turned wheel to turn right and went straight on - no grip what so ever in wet but they lasted years - never put cheap tyres on since.
Or as as Wiki has it a "former Swedish tyre maker", guess they skidded from the highway of independence to the hedgerow of corporate anonymity.
tinyurl.com/36od8p

In fairness it seems that they were pretty good innovative tyre makers. (Fitted to all Volvos since 1927 and the inventors of the steel belted radials)

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2008 at 23:08

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - boxsterboy
Which? magazine car tests are so far off the mark that if they listed a tyre in a 'don't buy list', it would make me more likely to consider buying them.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - drbe
Which? magazine car tests are so far off the mark

How does that manifest itself?

Could you give a couple of specific examples, please?
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - oilrag
Yes, They seemingly favoured the future of the Ford Anglia over the new Mini in 1959.

Edited by oilrag on 24/03/2008 at 14:09

Never let it be said that we dont have a long memory in this bizarre place.
We're being teased I think !
We're being teased I think !

Not so sure about Hong Kong holidays either, wondering if the nice men in the white coats have allowed him a computer!! Having said that i always enjoy his slightly off the wall at a peculiar tangent views. And i'm definately going to let him buy me a cuppa at wooley edge unless he's passing Kettering area on the A14 and being from up country wants a freebee.
No its true I remember it Pugugly :) trouble is, once you cry wolf...

Edited by oilrag on 24/03/2008 at 14:26

Gordon, you`re for a coffee then ;)

Re the white coats ;) I was one of them, an ASW for many years..

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 24/03/2008 at 14:32

Deffo the coffee, but not my area so no idea when it'll be.

You've got me and swmbo we cant work out what an ASW is?

Whatever it was its had a lasting effect.
tinyurl.com/3xx7t8
A very fine and worthwhile job Oilrag.

Would imagine there's scope for continuing the good work with quite a few of us as customers.

I take my hat off to you.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - qxman {p}
Blimey, a Social Worker, you are courageous admitting that on this forum.
Retired ;)
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - qxman {p}
Retired ;)

Even worse! You're drawing one of those 'gold plated' final-salary pensions that we read so much about in the Daily Wail. Apparently you're going to bankrupt the country (unless Cameron gets in and saves us).
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Armitage Shanks {p}

I am drawing two of them but I did work for 54 years and they went with the jobs.

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Dave N
"I had a Ford Zodiac Mk2 and had some "Gislaved" Swedish (I think) tyres "

Gislaved tyres are still alive and kicking, although I don't think they make them in Gislaved any more. I live about 25 miles from Gislaved, and I see many cars with their winter tyres fitted. I believe they are at the cheaper end of the market for winter tyres, with Nokian at the upper end. The Swedes are suckers for anything with a Swedish name.
They've been bought out by Continental.
Both Continental and Gislaved always seem to feature high up in the results of Scandinavian and Finnish winter tyres tests. I didn't realise till now they were made by the same company! So where are Gislaved tyres made now?
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - guy-taliesin
Test results on the Speed 606 version of these tyres at My Tyres are excellent. Price is good too. Out perform Dunlop Fast Response.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - mike hannon
I had Tigar tyres (195/60x15V) a few years ago and found them more than adequate in all respects.
I recently had Dunlop SP Sports (205/50x16W) and found both grip and wear rate unexceptional.
I stopped taking 'Which' reports seriously many decades ago when they advised against buying cheap toilet rolls in bulk, because it would only encourage people to 'take a longer pull at the roll', thereby not producing an overall saving. I still think that's one of the most bizarre pieces of middle class thinking I've ever come across. Positively anal...
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - M.M
>>Precisely, in fact an elderly gent pulled out of a side road on me recently and, with the help of ABS, I did an emergency stop in a straight line from 50mph on a wet surface.

Thing is Galad with the wet bias Goodyear I use the ABS may hardly have kicked in.

Wanli are easily found on ebay and they are hopeless in the wet. My last pair of decent tyres on the Mondeo cost about £250 the pair... could have bought Wanlis for £88/pr.In percentage terms the price very much indicates the wet performance.

Just to suport oilrag regarding old Which magazines... in the 1960s they tested the tiny 2-seater Lotus Europa with grumbles about luggage and people space... appeared to be testing it from the perspective of a family car!

These old Which copies from the 60s & 70s have very detailed tests with loads of images and data... a real snapshot of what cars were like back then.

Edited by M.M on 21/11/2009 at 06:52

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - L'escargot
I always buy the same tyres as those originally fitted by the car manufacturer. The car manufacturer carries out extensive testing of tyres to determine which are suitable for their cars. Apart from that, it also has the advantage of my car having a matching set.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/11/2009 at 08:36

Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - smokie
"The car manufacturer carries out extensive testing of tyres to determine which are suitable for their cars."

Do they? I suspect the choice is influenced more by the accountants than the technical people.

My handbook doesn't state which make I should use, only what size and how I should inflate them. Unlike under the filler cap, where IIRC it recommends a particular brand of petrol (which I ignore)
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - DP
I always buy the same tyres as those originally fitted by the car manufacturer. The
car manufacturer carries out extensive testing of tyres to determine which are suitable for their
cars.

But these aren't consistent, L'escargot. You find some performance models have a tyre designed specifically for them, but the cooking stuff comes with various brands. I've seen identical new Fords parked in a compound next to each other with different makes of tyre fitted. It depends who they can get a decent deal from at the time.

I've seen "same model" Fords with Hankook, Pirelli, Continental and Michelin rubber fitted.

Also, tyre technology moves on. A five year old car will almost certainly have better rubber available for it than what it came with from the factory.
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - Altea Ego
But you can be sure that the maker will not have fitted tyres that are not suitable or are unsafe. (specially after the explorer/firestone debacle)
Which? magazine advise 'Don't buy these tyres' - vmturbo

I'm not so sure about the expertise of the car maker or of the quality control.

For example I used to run a Triumph GT6 MK1, a car that was notorious for skidding. OEM tyre size was 155 x 13. 165 x 13 tyres would just fit so I bought some Uniroyal Rally 180 rain tyres which had an umbrella logo moulded into the sidewall. I would definitely buy these tyres again if the opportunity arose as the Avons on my antique Peugeot 405 are no use at all in the wet.

Another fault with the GT6 MK1 was its steering column coupling that had a 1/4" bolt to compress it around the steering column splines. What would happen was that the bolt would stretch as it was not strong enough to crush the coupling onto the splines. Result was play in the steering. There was enough metal there to drill out the 1/4" hole to 5/16" and fit a thicker bolt which solved the problem. Amazingly, many years down the line the SAME problem still occurs on some brands. Presumably M6 bolts are cheaper than M8 bolts!

I've seen "same model" Fords with Hankook Pirelli Continental and Michelin rubber fitted.

Most car manufacturers will have alternative sources of tyres to avoid problems of supply, but all of those fitted will have been tested and approved by the car manufacturer.
A five year old car will almost certainly have better
rubber available for it than what it came with from the factory.

My car is over 6 years old and came with Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres, which I can still easily obtain.