'00 1.4 eng. code KFX - losing power when warm. - Nige 101
My mates furio has an infuriating intermittent problem. Sometimes the car runs fine and more frequently now it does not. Starting from cold is fine but as it warms power is lost and an extra gearchange is needed to maintain progress. Yesterday after having been driven in town traffic from cold for 5 minutes it spluttered and then cut out completely. It started again eventually and has since run perfectly.
It was serviced fully this week and had the usual plus a fuel filter. These issues were present before the service. It "feels" like an electrical problem - possibly the coil pack - is this a weakness? Sorry this is a bit vague folks - any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 21/03/2008 at 10:39

'00 1.4 eng. code KFX - losing power when warm. - Screwloose
SH

Thanks for proper engine code details [if only more would....] and, yes, these do suffer from failing [Sagem] coilpacks - although cutting out completely isn't a normal symptom; [that sounds a bit crank or oxygen sensor-ish... Or even fuelling relay?]

Does the MIL light ever come on? What make of spark plugs are fitted - all the "phase detection" PSA cars must have dealer plugs fitted.

If it's still got a rubbish Sagem coilpack, I'd bin it anyway and fit a replacement Bougicord one from the dealers before it writes off the ECU. Also check the wiring plugs on the oxy and crank sensors for corrosion.
'00 1.4 eng. code KFX - losing power when warm. - Nige 101
Many thanks Screwloose. I am now able to report problem solved. We fitted a new coil pack - no difference - checked wiring to sensors - all OK - then tried a Lambda sensor - no difference - then a crank sensor and yippee - problem solved. The lesson to learn here is to try the cheapest item first - the crank sensor was under £20!!!!!!!!!