car sharing lane - zookeeper
Hi room i was just reading the car sharing lane scheme on the BBC website, what i would like to know is what lane do they use? if its lane 1 that will means all HGV's will have to use lane 2 only and can cars in the car sharing lane "undertake" cars on their right?
car sharing lane - daveyjp
It's a while since I went on the M606, but IIRC an extra lane has been built for the 2+ section, so it's three lanes now rather than 2 and the 2+ lane is a direct feeder lane to the M62, rather than having to use a congested roundabout at the end of the M606.

Car share lane users can "undertake" cars outside them - that's the whole point - they operate like bus lanes.
car sharing lane - Westpig
can you use a car sharing lane with a small child or baby as your 2nd occupant?.. if so how do the cameras pick a small person up?

i can see a Nick Freeman type defence here;

"i was driving with my mate who happens to be a midget"
car sharing lane - oilrag
it looked empty on the news this morning..same as our bus lanes then....

Edited by oilrag on 20/03/2008 at 18:08

car sharing lane - Pugugly
You used to be able to buy inflatable passengers when these lanes became popular in the US. They were marketed as "crime prevention aids" (i.e. any lurking hood thought the car had two people in it thus making it a less desirable target)

Edited by Pugugly on 20/03/2008 at 18:14

car sharing lane - Alby Back
These car sharing lanes are only relevant to regular commuters. They take no account of the fact that a large number of people have to visit various different locations at different times of the day, week. month or year. not everyone works to a rigid pattern of time and destination and therefore could not reasonably share without deliberately seeking out a hitchhiker when required. Public transport is not a reasonable alternative either if you require to carry bulky or heavy work related kit to multi destinations.

Unfair discrimination I say !
maybe hitchhiking may make a come back , i used to do it all the time in the 80's saved me a packet in train fares between the midlands and london commuting to college
car sharing lane - Lud
Heh heh zookeeper, I learned the roads of England while at school and university and being a London beatnik, and a lot about cars and driving too, hitching in the fifties and very early sixties...

Funny thing though: when I did it, in freezing horizontal rain at Scotch Corner roundabout at 4 am in February for example, I swore that I would always pick up hitchhikers when I had a car. I did for a long time too, and a right pain some of them were (a bit like drivers when you are hitchhiking). But I haven't done it for ages now. Have I become a mean paranoid old, er, person? Perhaps I need to get a CS canister and start picking them up again.
car sharing lane - Pugugly
A Beatnik eh ? That's a word I haven't heard in years. Mental image of black jumper and a pudding basin haircut...
car sharing lane - Lud
Jumper yes, haircut... er, what's that then?
you cant beat sitting in some elses motor getting from A-B knowing its costing you nowt and having a bit of chat about life with a stranger , you never see hitchhikers these days ..thats a shame in my book ...a sign of the times i suppose, oh and i always prefered volvo wagons it seems they were made for the comfort of passengers ,think they were f10's