best engine to get - john96
Hi.looking at getting a mondy,annual mileage 8-10 thou,is the 1.8 petrol best bet?
Should add budget will be about 5 grand,cheers
best engine to get - leef
Hi.looking at getting a mondy annual mileage 8-10 thou is the 1.8 petrol best bet?
Should add budget will be about 5 grand cheers

I've got the 1.8 petrol and although it isn't bad, I'd go for the 2.0 if your getting petrol, pretty much same MPG but the extra power is noticable.

Lee
best engine to get - Alby Back
What sort of MPG do you get Leef ? Reason behind my question is that I currently have a TDCI Mondeo and when the time comes to change it I want to have a handle on the running cost versus purchase price equation. A petrol one will be a bit cheaper to buy but with my high mileage I want to work out the consumption numbers.

Thanks SS
Hi SS,

I'd probably stick with the TDCi, I guess you getting around 44-46 MPG? I get around 36- 37MPG on the petrol about £60 to fill up from empty. If your doing big mileage I'm sure a Diesel will be better in the long run.

Thanks
Lee
best engine to get - nick
>>If your doing big mileage

But the OP isn't, 8-10k pa was mentioned.
>>If your doing big mileage
But the OP isn't 8-10k pa was mentioned.

Well it's a good job that I was talking to SS then and not the OP.......
best engine to get - Saltrampen
1.8 Cheapest option for your annual mileage.
Diesel - you take a gamble on getting one with a dodgy fuel system, but get a good one and you'll enjoy driving it more (once you get the hang of Traffic jam driving with this model). If you keep it for long enough, may save you money, but at 8-10 thou, maybe several years.
2.0 - better performance than 1.8 but overall higher running costs - Try to test drive the 1.8 and 2.0 then look at the running costs per mile and see if the improvement is worth it.

On all of them you take a gamble on flywheel problems and other problems common to all Mk3's but then you do with many other makes as well...Golden rule is thorough test drive before you part with cash and walk away from anything that rattles unsually.
best engine to get - Martin Devon
Golden rule is thorough test drive before you part with cash and walk away from anything that rattles unsually.

Like The Wife's tongue.......WHACK.......OUCH!!
best engine to get - MW
I am in the same position, looking at about 10k per year but it must be an automatic. I know the autos are suposed to be poor, but I have heard conflicting information. I am quite happy to change the automatic oil very often.
Any experiences here?

Edited by MW on 21/03/2008 at 10:04

best engine to get - Alby Back
Perfectly possible that I have got the maths wrong but my "back of fag packet" calcs do show up an interesting result of the recent widening of the price gap re diesel v petrol.

The examples I chose from a well known website were fairly much identical other than engine type Mondeo LX estates at three years old with 50k miles.

Car 1 - 1.8 petrol £5000
Car 2 - 2.0 diesel £7000

Assuming the OP's 10k miles per year I guesstimate a fuel cost saving by having the diesel at circa only £300 per year. So (based on this factor only) the breakeven point at which the diesel wins is not reached until over 6 years of ownership.

You obviously have to take a separate view of other factors relating to costs, depreciation and personal preferences but it does sort of drive a coach and horses through the myth of diesel economy for the relatively low mileage motorist. I think you have to be up around 30k miles a year plus for the savings to be significant.
best engine to get - henry k
AA figures in the press today

" diesel car costs on average£1,400 more to buy than its petrol equivalent.

At the start of this year to break even with an unleaded vehicle, a diesel car had to travel 45,000 miles before the benefits of its greater fuel efficiency took effect.

Today, that same car must cover 46,243 miles - an increase of 1,243 miles."