Strange blow-out on tyre - Nsar
Got a call last night from our au-pair saying he's on the hard shoulder of the m-way having had a blow-out driving back from a day out with his friends.

Oh well I thought, there's £50 gone for a new tyre.

He gets home and the tyre which is newish - maybe 6 months has blown out along its length, with a long flap of now hanging like a tongue off the tyre, with all the metal strands showing along the tear.

The flap has simply destroyed the rear bumper at its edge where it curves ound to meet the wheel arch and even taken out the rear light cluster which on a yaris is about the top of my thigh.

Anyone had a blow-out like this? It would have been a different matter on a front wheel - I'm pleased to say everyone safe just a wee bit shaken.

Strange blow-out on tyre - teabelly
If it isn't that old and hasn't been repaired then it might be defective. If there are others of the same type on the car then I'd get them checked or consider changing them as a precautionary measure. The manufacturer should have info on what to do when you think they have made a defective tyre.
Strange blow-out on tyre - scouseford
"Got a call last night from our au-pair saying he's on the hard shoulder of the m-way having had a blow-out driving back from a day out with his friends"

He?
Strange blow-out on tyre - Bromptonaut
Possibly hit something and took a "slice" from the tread but does sound rather like the sort of structural failure usually associated with truck remoulds.
Strange blow-out on tyre - Pugugly
Yes it is the 21st Century :-)

I would consider taking some stills and e-mailing them to the Customer Services of the company involved. Tyre companies are pretty interested if there's a problem.

Option 2 ask your local Roads Policing Unit to see if their vehicle examiner would mind having a look....

Edited by Pugugly on 17/03/2008 at 20:28

Strange blow-out on tyre - bathtub tom
Many, many years ago I had something similar with a remould. A flap of tread separated from the tyre, but without deflating. I stopped once to investigate a severe vibration, but could see nothing wrong. The second time I stopped, a few hundred yards on, I spotted the flattened seam welds inside the wheel arch!
Strange blow-out on tyre - craneboy
what make was the tyre?
Strange blow-out on tyre - ijws15
Probably overheated and de-laminated.

When was the tyre pressure last checked ?

We had one do this on the rear of a Sierra about 15 years ago, tyre was 7 years old and was vibrating. I slowed down and was going off at the next services (only a couple of miles off) to see what the problem was when it went. Had blistered and delaminated, took out one of the rear bumper mountings. Quite scary at the time, as was changing an offside rear wheel on the hard shoulder of the M1. Tyre returned to the manufacturer for report, their comment was failed due to age and possibly run soft (It wasn't). I learned my lesson and the other three were changed as well.

Strange blow-out on tyre - Nsar
Interesting. Would delaminating rip through the metal strands though and odd that it stopped after about 20 inches.