1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - jonlucpicard
Hi, i took my 93 405 DT to a garage today because it has a knocking noise, the mechanic says the o/s bottom ball joint needs replacing. He has told me that the ball joint is part of the wishbone on the 405 and the whole unit will need to be replaced at a cost of £130. Does this sound right? I have never used this garage before as my mate always did work on my car but he emmigrated to Australia in january, so now i have to use a garage.
cheers
Jon

{year, etc, added to subject header - perhaps we need a 4th prompt on top of the 3 already in place?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2008 at 18:51

1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - 659FBE
On most PSA cars of this vintage the lower ball joint can be renewed independently of the wishbone. The problem is that they are very tight to get out and a special tool is needed - if I remember correctly it's a kind of castellated socket to unscrew the joint housing.

Maybe your garage hasn't got the tool and changing the whole assembly is an easy way out (for them). Why not get a Haynes manual and see for yourself exactly what's involved?

Edited by 659FBE on 17/03/2008 at 18:57

1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - Peter.N.
I would confirm that. Don't try and get it out without the special tool. If you have a look on the net (try ebay first) you will probably find that you can buy a tool for not a lot of money.
1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - pmh
Everything you need....
tinyurl.com/39bmgz

but you will probably find the garage labour costs increase?

1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - piston power
Ball joint and socket for less than £25.00, have a go your self with the haynes manual just take your time, should be no need to remove the drive shaft etc.
1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - jonlucpicard
Thanks for the replies guys. It turns out that it was the mot tester that looked at the car and said it needed a wishbone and ball joint, i phoned this morning and spoke to the mechanic who said it didn't need a wishbone so they did the job and charged me £65.

Edited by jonlucpicard on 18/03/2008 at 16:20

1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - zookeeper
it may be easier to replace the whole wishbone .... new one on ebay for a tenner
1993 DT - Ball Joint replacement - DL
No, but the ball joint is on the bottom of the strut assembly. Usually an air chisel shifts them (if you don''t have the tool) and a pair of stillsons tightens them up after coating the threads with threadlock.