94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - neiljules
Hi,

My astra is sitting about 2 inches lower on the drivers side at the back.. I have just had the rear springs changed as it went through its MOT. I got the car from my uncle for nothing as it has been sat in his garage for 3 years.. everything went ok on the MOT (except the springs change).

It was sitting unevenly before any work was done...

Any help appreciated... I am rather new to fixing cars but can do most things and have plenty tools.

Can you confirm the year ? - shown as 1994 in the original subject line

Edited by Pugugly on 17/03/2008 at 19:06

94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - piston power
Are the springs a matched pair? check the suspension damper are they the same?

Might be best to replace both rear shocks but check those springs are correct for the car.
Have checked them and they are ok..I will check the shocks thanks.
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - slowdown avenue
if they put new shockers on they might not have pumped up yet. get under and have a look
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - topbloke
the only thing that effects ride hight is the springs so they are either soft on one side harder on the other or incorrect springs
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - John S
topbloke is right. Only self levelling damper units affect ride height, and the Astra doesn't have those. The problem lies with the springs. Breakage near the ends isn't unknown.

JS
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - Dynamic Dave
Can you confirm the year ? - shown as 1994 in the original subject
line

Well, can you?
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - Alby Back
Had a Renault Espace which did this. My own fault mind, I had just shifted ninety 45cm / 45cm patio slabs from the builders yard to my house in it ! I think one of the rear shocks or springs had stuck in the fully compressed position. Feeling rather foolish I then had a flash of inspiration and having emptied it took it at a lick over the nearest speed hump. Worked a treat!
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - jc2
If you read the original post,it was uneven BEFORE the springs were changed-so body,chassis,spring mountings-sounds like checking with a tape measure of all mountings.
Yes. it's a 1994 model.. and jc2 is right it was like that before the springs change. Apparantly both had snapped....

As I said I dont know much about cars so where are the spring mountings and what do I look for? thanks.
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - Dynamic Dave
Yes. it's a 1994 model..

Thatt'll make it an Astra-F (or Astra Mk3) then. Header amended. DD.
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - topbloke
one would hope that the mot tester should have spotted anything nasty so an untrained eye has no hope if there is a noticeable difference in hight then something should be seriouslybent/twisted, how much history do you have with the vehicle, my comments were only to clarify that the only thing that effects ride height is the spring, unless it has air assisted shocks
94 1.7d Uneven suspension problem.. - bigyin78
The Astra F was updated in 94. The revised versions have the chrome v grille. These later cars were fitted with gas shock absorbers instead of the hydraulic ones fitted to the earlier models. Strictly speaking the ride height should be determined only by the springs but when I fitted gas shocks to the rear of my old cavalier to replace the original hydraulic items I noticed that the ride height was raised slightly. Has the car ever had replacement shocks fitted? Is it possible that only one side was done and the wrong type fitted given that the car is right on the change? With regard to the springs some aftermarket suppliers do a standard and a heavy duty rear spring for these cars. The HD versions definitely do raise the ride height. Is it possible that one side has been fitted with an HD spring by mistake?

Hope this helps