New car number plate law. - Wills
Hello. What does the law say regarding what has to go on a new number plate for a new car? Does the dealership have to have their details printed on it or can I request just the registration number and nothing else?
New car number plate law. - John S
Legally the plate must have (apart from the registration mark) the name and postcode of the company who manufactured/supplied it and the BSAU 145 mark to show it's legally compliant, so you can't avoid these 'extras'. In addition it can have a (legal) 'country' mark, and I believe nothing else.

JS

Edited by John S on 11/03/2008 at 11:19

New car number plate law. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
That will really upset those people who will believe that they are being forced to advertise someones business. Like me.
I am a window sticker remover when I get a new car. Especially if it is likely to get baked onto heater window elements. And an enormous extended tax disc/card holder in the area swept by wipers must be illegal?
New car number plate law. - zookeeper
i thought the number plate manufacturers details on plate had been scrapped?
New car number plate law. - Falkirk Bairn
The number plate laws are different in Scotland from E&W.

Does that mean I have to get new plates to come south? or can I get exemption from the No Plate laws as all the Poles, Estonians, Latvians etc have?
New car number plate law. - grumpyscot
The number plate laws are different in Scotland from E&W.

>>

Only in respect of not needing to present the V5 document or proof of ownership of the vehicle. Halfords in Scotland still try to insist on seeing the V5 (as its an English company), so you just go elsewhere!
New car number plate law. - Billy Whizz
@zookeeper, AFAIK, the bit that has been scrapped is the checking of them and number plate fonts etc in the MOT. The law still calls for the number plate manufacturers details etc. See other threads on here for discussion.
New car number plate law. - jbif
See other threads on here for discussion

such as these www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=57...9
and www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57083&...f

Edited by jbif on 11/03/2008 at 12:42

New car number plate law. - colin-e
The idea behind the law is to prevent criminals getting fake plates made up.

In reality, it causes problems for those who try to keep legal.

In order to get a plate for a trailer I was borrowing, I went to a well known auto-superstore, V5 in hand, and requested a rear plate. "Sorry. The car is registered to your wife, so she will need to come in to get the plate". My wife works full time, and wouldn't have been able to get into the store for a good few days.

Answer - write the registration on a sheet of A4, and tape it to the back of the trailer. Later that afternoon I ordered a rear plate from a very helpful trader on ebay, and it arrived next day.

The law seems to be enforced by those responsible for making the plates - and it is enforced with greater vigor by some companies than others!

I got a rear plate made up for a cycle carrrier.
One shop seemed confused whether it was the owner/registered person/person who bought the car that had to prove ID.

New car number plate law. - jbif
The idea behind the law is to prevent criminals getting fake plates made up. In reality, it causes problems for those who try to keep legal.

IMO- That is true with most laws of the land, which cause inconvenience to the majority of law-abiding people. In other words, the middle-earning classes end up paying the price in all ways always, while the top-earners and the under-classes carry on regardless.

How can I check if the number plates on my car are legal?
Is there a published list of authorised manufacturers?
Mine just has the supplying dealers advert ;>) who may or may not be OK.
New car number plate law. - Dwight Van Driver
The law on the display of Number plates is contained at:

www.tinyurl.com/m7v5

Schedule 2 of particular note and which was made under the parent Act , The Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 which applies to England AND Scotland, as does the Regulation.

There are requirements that the plate conforms to BS AU 145d which stipulates amongst other things that the details of the plate manufacturer has to be on the plate. The name of the supplying garage does not.

List of approved manufacturers ?

Look here:

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/search.aspx?ext=dg

dvd

New car number plate law. - Dwight Van Driver
Should have included:

www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

dvd
New car number plate law. - kingfisher
Had problem with vauxhall main dealer this week .Took car in for an mot and tester said it wouldn't pass with the plain numberplates and needed plate manufacturers details ,postcode and british standard number printed on the plates.
Took it to another dealer and he passed it without any reference to numberplates.
I phoned VOSA and was told the need for details on the plates had been withdrawn and the main dealer should check his "special notices" .
Took it to another dealer and he passed it without any reference to numberplates.
I phoned VOSA and was told the need for details on the plates had been
withdrawn and the main dealer should check his "special notices" .

Ah !! so i was right then?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/03/2008 at 18:57

New car number plate law. - martint123
Ah !! so i was right then?

No, the MOT plate check has been temporarily withdrawn - it will return fairly shortly I hear.

the number plate is still part of the MOT , mine failed 3 weeks ago !
>mine failed 3 weeks ago
On what grounds?
a couple of cracks in the plate, tester being a fluffy dice that day i think
@zookeeper, that's the whole point! Cracks are still part of the MOT; maker's details, BS number etc has been temporarily suspended!
New car number plate law. - normd2
well I just bought a new rear number plate 10 mins ago. No V5 required (I'm in Scotland) and all that's on it is the VRN and the suppliers post code (which they told me is mandatory.) and it was only £4.70 inc VAT.
New car number plate law. - skid
The outlet that refused to supply you the plates because you are not the registered keeper of the car were wrong to do so.

Registered number plate suppliers need to see the V5 form relating to the vehicle & also proof of id of the person buying the plates.

The vehicle can be registered in a different name to the person buying the plates.
New car number plate law. - pd
If a relatively new car doesn't have the supplying dealers plates front and rear I always want to know why when buying. At least if it has them, chances are both front and rear end are reasonably original.
New car number plate law. - jase1
If a relatively new car doesn't have the supplying dealers plates front and rear I
always want to know why when buying.

You clearly don't live near a school..... ;)

#1 reason cars need the front plate changed? Incompetent drivers in silly MPVs reversing into small parking spaces first thing in the morning with kids everywhere and cracking people's plates.

I've had a few raised eyebrows at my local motor factors -- three times now I've had to replace the front plate due to these people. And they wonder why I want MPVs banned!!

I have thought of buying half a dozen of them from fleabay for future reference.

Surely the dodgy plate makers just have to ask what to put on the "manufacturer's" line, and print that at the same time? Making a mockery of the law, no?
New car number plate law. - 1jim
so when this mot rule comes back into force will this mean that everone without the dealers/numberplate suppliers details on it fail and then be forced to buy another one? if not how would the mot tester know if it was a replacment one or not?
New car number plate law. - Tron
Just put insulation tape over the dealership name. I have done this for years.