05 Worn pads at 10k ? - Optimist
I picked up my wife's 05 Micra from service and MOT the other day. No probs but disc pads said to be 65% worn. Mileage is under 10k. Does this sound a bit odd to anyone else?

Edited by Pugugly on 10/03/2008 at 22:03

05 Worn pads at 10k ? - piston power
No i followed a car the other day they had there foot on the brake all the way down the hill, how about a low gear?

10k is daft but if she drives the same then well maybe, pads yes discs no.

Was this serviced at a reputable garage? not a fast fit?
05 Worn pads at 10k ? - slowdown avenue
wouldnt think you need to press the gas much going down hill
05 Worn pads at 10k ? - Dynamic Dave
wouldnt think you need to press the gas much going down hill

That's why he said the brake pedal.
05 Worn pads at 10k ? - slowdown avenue
i think that feathering the brakes down hill is ok by me
10,000 miles on a 3 year old car.

Where does it live when not being used? Outside or in a garage? If the former, then given the low mileage the discs could corrode up while being stood around exposed to the elements and when the brakes are used for the first few times a percentage of the linings are removed by abrasion because of the rough surface of the discs.
05 Worn pads at 10k ? - Optimist
Outside but so does mine and that's done 29k and driven quite hard without pad replacement.

As to the other reply: my wife isn't heavy footed on the brakes. This is a franchised main dealer not a fast fit. If the rear shoes were badly adjusted would that put all the stopping on the front and lead to excessive wear?
Outside but so does mine and that's done 29k and driven quite hard without pad replacement.

You said your wife's pads were 65% worn. Nothing about the pads being replaced yet. Also given that you've done 3 times the mileage she has means that less corrosion builds up on your discs compared to hers.
my wife isn't heavy footed on the brakes.

That *could* well be the answer. She needs to stomp harder on the brakes to remove the corrosion that's built up.

Also, don't forget that the 65% worn figure is probably more of a guestimate done by visually looking at the pads through the wheel, rather than a true measurement.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/03/2008 at 10:13

05 Worn pads at 10k ? - Cymrogwyllt
I had he misfortune to buy a car (MG metro turbo) with 7k on the clock which needed new pads and a clutch within a week. thankfully both done under warranty. I sold the car with 40k on and the pads still had well over half the thickness left. clutch was as good as new. sadly I heard that the new owner had a lot of probs with the engine. Might have had something to do with me running the tacho 'round the clock' when some pink fluffy dice tried to close the return gap when I overtook him. must have done 9000+ rpm

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2008 at 00:23