2001 (y reg) hdi engine died help needed - scfc_151
Today i started the car with no problems drove down the road and nipped into the shop, came back out and the car turns over but wont start. Theres no glow plug light comming on (i know that when the cars warm it usually doesnt, but its only gone half a mile).

Now to give you some history-

Since having the car, when ive come to start it from cold, sometimes the glow plug light doesnt come on when turning the ignition so will just turn over. When that happened id just try the ignition again and it would light up and start.

This makes me think that there may be some kind of communication problem between the ignition and starting?

The other things that have been mentioned when ive searched are the 'electronic ignition fault', crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor. However im not a mechanic and am just trying to get as many ideas as possible to sort it.

I need help as the car is stuck at the side of the road in not a very nice area.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 13:37

hdi engine died help needed - Screwloose

Year? Bosch or Siemens system? Has it had a new fuelling relay.
hdi engine died help needed - scfc_151
sorry-

its a 2001 (y reg) with 180,000 and a bosch pump. No fueling relay since i owned it

{some of which now added}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 13:37

When you turned the ignition on; did the tank-pump prime for around 10 seconds?
no i dont think so not that i noticed if it did.

When you go back; reach in through the broken window and turn the ignition on. You should be able to feel the filter swell up as the tank-pump pressurizes it - be quick.

If it doesn't; find the long [brown?] relay mounted on the ECU box [push the inertia switch down while you're there] and unclip and slide the red release bar sideways to remove the 15-pin plug.

Check the plug for corrosion or burning round the terminals - if poss; take a new relay with you.
thanks matey im on my way to have a look now, better take sum cardboard and plastic bags for the broken window!
ok just got back, couldnt tell if the filter is pressuring up 1 because of the constant traffic noise and 2 because the filter housing is solid plastic.

I pushed the inertia switch and couldnt undo the long brown relay to check for corrosion because where the car is positioned by the road it was too dangerous.

All in all an unsuccessful attempt. However i did find out that now the engine is cold the glow plug light came on and the engine still wont start so im sure that the power is getting from the ignition to the plugs.

Shouldn't fret about the glow-plugs; HDi's only need then when the engine is sub-zero.

You need to get it moved to a secure spot. Got a friend with a tow-rope? [Or a breakdown service?]

Likely causes; tank-pump, combo relay, wiring, regulator O-rings, cracked injector, fuel-pressure sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, something else. [More or less in that order.]
Update-

Got the RAC out he give the tank pump a good smack while i cranked it over and hey presto!

He said with the HDI bosch systems thats the most likely cause on high milers for pumps to stick!

Real nice bloke though very helpful

Thanks for all your replies screwloose, now to find someone whos fit one of these pumps before

Have a look under the back seat; IIRC [been a while] there's a big grommet.
yeah found the pump is it easy to fit? i have some mechanical skills but nothing too taxing

I leave that bit to the spanner-monkeys as diesel is awfully messy; but once you've got the pipes and lock-ring off [BIG water-pump pliers, or mallet and wood to tap it round] it just lifts out as a unit.

hdi (in tank) lift pump - scfc_151
just had to have the RAC to get me home as it turned out the lift pump was sticking stopping the car starting.

After a good bang it started fine.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted these pumps to a HDI and how easy it is? I was considering fitting it myself but as 'screwloose' explained its a messy job

I was also planning on replacing the fuel filter at the same time. Any other tips appreciated or an estimate on time to work out how much a mechanic will charge

cheers
hdi (in tank) lift pump - DL
Pump replacement? 30 mins.

Finished yet? ;)
hdi (in tank) lift pump - scfc_151
yeah sorted now. Took a bit longer maybe an hour or so because i couldnt get the unit to seat properly. I then realised that it goes better if you seat the seal 1st then the unit.

MOT time soon too so glad thats done.....now for the steering rack!!!