2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - wrightyl
Hi,

Earlier on today, I removed the drivers side front alloy wheel to give it a good clean as I noticed that the inner side of the alloy was covered in grease. I had assumed that it was just road grime, however upon closer inspection I have found that the clip on the end of the CV Boot has broken and that the grease on the alloy has leaked from the CV Boot. The grease was also over the caliper, the sensor for the ABS etc, of which most I have now cleaned up.

Is this a case of just purchasing a new clip and fitting it? or because some grease has leaked out will the CV Boot need replacing or repacking with grease? I personally, would prefer that the CV Boot is repacked with grease just to be sure, but as i'm only your average DIY mechanic, I don't want to start it, get half way through and then find it's more awkward than it looked, as I need the car back on the road ASAP for work.

For the time being, I have temporarily attached 2 tie wraps to the CV Boot as it is all I have to hand, I don't intend driving it far in this condition, as i doubt it will last long, only to my local Vauxhall garage if need be.

Can anyone advise please?

Thank you
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - Peter D
Replacement clip and a repack of the correct CV grease. Regards Peter
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - Dynamic Dave
Further to Peter's advice, also make sure the surface between the gator and CV is totally removed of grease or the boot will just slip off again.

Depending whether the CV boot is of the rubber type or more plasticy type, you can get away with cable ties if it's the former as the rubber type have a great deal more flexibility than the plasticy type CV boot. If it is the latter then you'll need the proper metal clips.
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - wrightyl
Cheers for the advice much appreciated to get some feedback :)
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - topbloke
two different sizes on this model for the clips, the problem stems from the factory fitting aluminium clips as the joint swells with heat it stretches the clip making it snap, the replacement clips are stainless steel, a bit of a pig to fit and as advised there are special pliers to fit them as they are a tough clip to tighten correctly
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - Johnyb
I just had the same problem, whereby the gatter had come off the CV joint (this was at the MOT). Decided to replace since thought the gatter was a little stiff, however the £20 vauxhall gatter was not rubber but plastic so stiff itself.

After stripping down to to install, had a hell of a job getting the thing to stay on. It keeps slipping off. I am using pinchers (pliers), but could not exert enough force even with extending the handles - so in the end used spring compressors on the end of the pinchers to lock it up.

Still a bit bothers this will slip off again on way for MOT retest, since with it sliding off and on again a few times some grease has definitely got between the cv ring & gatter.

Can you buy the clips & grease without the full CV joint kit? Is this from vauxhall dealer? since I need to solve this for the free retest before next saturday so ideas would be much appreciated.

BTW just found this forum, looks good....
2005, 1.4 SRI, CV Boot - Dynamic Dave
Can you buy the clips & grease without the full CV joint kit?

Yes, you can buy the clips and grease separately. It is vital that the mating surface between the boot and cv joint is free of grease.

Don't be tempted to use cable ties on the GM plastic boot. As you've already discovered the boot is quite stiff and cable ties aren't man enough to hold the boot in place for very long.

ps, unless you have the proper pliers, getting the metal clip on tight can be a nightmare. Like you I resorted to a pair of blunt pinchers (so they wouldn't cut into the metal) and squeezed the handles together with a small vice.