Buying a "defunct" reg plate - Nsar
When I was little (early 70s) my father had a reg plate that for no particular reason became quite special to us as a family and he transferred into another car.

It seems not to be registered to any car now so I assume it is now defunct.

Is there anyway of getting the DVLA to resurrect it?

It would make a sentimental gift for the old boy.

Buying a "defunct" reg plate - Doc
If it has any value it will be only be offered at one of DVLA's auctions.

Is it possible to buy a registration that used to be on a vehicle before, even if the vehicle no longer exists?

* Unfortunately we do not resurrect old registrations for sale, even though they may no longer be on vehicles. Should this situation change full details will appear on our website.

Buying a "defunct" reg plate - Nsar
I'm guessing you pasted that from thr DVLA website, in which case thanks very much for taking the time.

Looks like it's a non-starter.
Buying a "defunct" reg plate - Muggy
I guess that's because it may have been on a vehicle withdrawn from use long before the present SORN regulations, but which may still be existing in storage somewhere and could, in theory, be renovated and put back into use?
Buying a "defunct" reg plate - Mad Maxy
I know of an instance in which someone asked the DVLA if an 'index mark' (XXX 15D or similar) was available. DVLA said it wasn't but they would put it into their next auction. Which they did and the bloke bought it.

Don't know if that's still possible.
Buying a - Cliff Pope
You don't say your father's age. Do you want to actually transfer the number onto his current car, or simply give him a physical number plate to hang on the wall?
You can make up the latter yourself with sticky letters from an iron mongers, or get a "demonstration" plate made up on-line. No need actually to own the vehicle. In that case of course you could get one of the old kind, with aluminium pressed letters or whatever was current when he had the number.

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 20:57