non interference engines - Jonathan {p}
Hi

I have been reliably informed that my car (mazda mx6)has a non interference engine.

Now I take it that this means that should the cambelt (timing) belt snap, then the pistons won't touch the valves.

Firstly is this correct?

If so, why should I bother to change the cambelt, if its not going to damage the engine?

Are there any other cars out there which have non interference engines?

Thanks

Jonathan
non interference engines - Dynamic Dave
If so, why should I bother to change the cambelt, if
its not going to damage the engine?

Because the cambelt is likely to let go when you least expect it. examples include Rushing someone to hospital, in rush hour traffic, when it persistently raining in the early hours of the morning and you've left your mob phone elsewhere. ect, ect.
non interference engines - Peter D
Do not risk it, change the cam belt.

Should it break and wrap itself round a pulley you are liable to break something or even just smash the cam belt cowling. Worst I\'ve heard is snapping the water pump shaft clean off. But the head survived and that was an interference VW engine.

Change the belt when it is due. Peter
non interference engines - David Lacey
It might well be a non-interference engine (I don't know) - but I, for one, wouldn't chance it!

I can see your logic; but as Dynamic-Dave says - it will happen at the most inconvenient time!

Most modern 16V engines bend when the cambelt gives up - I don't see why your engine should be safe?? Have you ever seen the running tolerances inside a modern DOHC 16V engine? That's where a lot of my 'mechanical sympathy' is borne!

Yes, well known ones such as the Ford Pinto (In some guises) and the 1.6 S Series Rover engine were regarded as safe, those you could well and truly abuse and ignore the cambelt; if it snapped it was only a half-hour captain-kerbside job to get the car going again.

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
non interference engines - jc
2.0 Ford OHC were safe;1.6 you could be lucky;1.3 OHC(Germany only) every time.Officially,it was only called the Pinto engine in the States.
non interference engines - Peter D
Thanks Mark