07/57 Focus or Astra - keen to hear your opinions! - drivewell
Loking toward something Focus / Astra sized.

Should it be 1.4 or 1.6?
Should it be a Focus or an Astra? (or a Ceed or an i30?)

Either '07' or '57', with less than 10K miles.

As they used to say in exam questions..... Discuss!

Edited by Webmaster on 05/03/2008 at 13:40

07/57 Focus or Astra - keen to hear your opinions! - rich66
If it's the Astra you can get away with the 1.4 quite reasonably although the 1.6 brings the car to life. The Focus needs to be the 1.6 at least and it will still be slow (unless it's the Ti-VCT and you rev it hard).
07/57 Focus or Astra - keen to hear your opinions! - I'm a Pane
Agree with Rich re engine choice. Drive both and see if you can chose between them. I did the same thing 4 months ago, and really there is very little difference overall.

Both drive really well, ride fine and seem built to a similar standard. Focus had marginally more space (both passenger and boot) and Astra (in my eyes) looks a little more exciting.

What swung it for me was not the car but the dealers. Unfortunately every Vauxhall dealership I went to seemed to be inhabited by gormless, disinterested types who gave the impression that selling cars was beneath them. Ford on the other hand seemed genuinely interested, helpful and efficient (they also seemed to actually know about the cars they were selling...). Let us know what you decide!
07/57 Focus or Astra - keen to hear your opinions! - oldpostie
I've owned both, with 1.6 petrol engines, in recent years. They were both very good cars, but my personal preference was the Astra because of the more relaxed way it drove. The Focus was about the best handling car I've ever owned but the engine was a revver, and had worse fuel economy than the Astra. My wife preferred the Focus because of the slightly higher seats, and didn't like the Astra because you can't see the bonnet.
These are just personal likes and dislikes. They are both very good and neither went wrong. I did have a test in a Kia Cee'd but my two passengers, (and I) were happier in the Astra, which had a smoother ride.
07/57 Focus or Astra - keen to hear your opinions! - drivewell
Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Please keep them coming.

I'm thinking I'll trade my '05' Mondeo TDCi in for a new-ish car for my wife - she is presently driving an '02' plate Punto, and then buy something 'interesting' for myself - fancy a bit of upmarket bangeromics (if that's not an oxymoron!).

Edited by drivewell on 05/03/2008 at 21:06