ANPRS - not always correct? - Tron
I was in Hull today. We came around the corner and there was an array of marked police cars, numerous police officers and for some - that dreaded ANPRS van?

Now this is the interesting bit?.

?.I am insured, I have no points, I have a full & valid UK licence and my car is MOT?d, taxed & tested. Having all of these you would think the ANPRS would not flag me or my vehicle up?

WRONG!!!

I WAS PULLED as the ANPRS threw a wobbly (so I was informed) over the validity of the MOT and my insurance details.

After 10 or so mins (and a precursory check, chassis & engine numbers, tyres, lights etc.,) I was allowed to go (no idea what they did in the background) but not one apology for the inconvenience or a valid explanation given as to why I was actually stopped.

I asked and was told we (the police) routinely stop vehicles that we 'feel' look suspicious?!

'So, I have a guilty looking car?!!!' I quipped back.

I asked why the ANPRS flagged my vehicle as no insurance and no MOT and I was again informed as mentioned and asked to drive on.

I thought this technology was bomb proof or were they looking for something else?

Edited by Pugugly on 02/03/2008 at 21:43

ANPRS - not always correct? - Pugugly
Not bomb proof, like any other computer system - GIGO.

There are other databases that an index number trips. Wouldn't bother writing and asking as they are FOI exempted.

You may have tripped one of the other databases, it may be a plate mis-read or some incorrect data.
ANPRS - not always correct? - Bromptonaut
No technology is 100% accurate; ANPR will throw up false alarms for any number of reasons ranging from errors on other data bases to plate misreads.

While in an ideal world the operators will be "customer focussed" and send such cases on their way with a smile and an apology life's not ideal and if a potential weakness is highlighted there will be a reluctance to admit it lest the n'er do wells cotton on.

Just one of life's little trials.
ANPRS - not always correct? - Fullchat
Tron

Its common knowledge that ANPR is not foolproof. A hit is just an indication that the vehicle should be looked at a bit closer.
I think you were given a reason and that was that the equipment had thrown a 'wobbly'. A 'wobbly' is an indicator that one of the databases has not got your documentation shown as current. Perhaps you have recently acquired the vehicle or changed insurance companies?

Edited by Pugugly on 03/03/2008 at 20:01

ANPRS - not always correct? - boxsterboy
I was pulled by an ANPR about a month after I bought a second-hand car and had received the V5 from DVLA. The ANPR was showing no registered keeper.

Being an Honest-looking guy (but not called John ;-) ), the bod let me on my way.

But just last week there was a report of a speed detection device (the type that flashes up your speed to encourage you to slow down) in Hampstead that recorded a speed of 159 mph. Knowing the road (Fitzjohn's Ave) I would say that such a speed in that road would be virtually impossible, and I would say that it must be machine error. These things do happen, which is why blind faith in machines for road traffic enforcement is a problem.
ANPRS - not always correct? - Snakey
This is the way our roads are policed nowadays using automation/cameras etc.

Theres little human interaction in most cases i.e a camera said you were doing 99 mph so it must be true!

ANPRS - not always correct? - martint123
You could check your insurance and MOT are on the databases easily enough from links that have been on here (that I don't know off hand).
ANPRS - not always correct? - Collos25
Have you thought that they had the idea that your car was cloned and were checking it out.