Damaged paint job - Help please - anthony
Like a I recently cleaned my car with a rough cloth, thereby introducing millions of tiny scratches on the bonnet (still didn\'t get the flies off). I believe the top coat is a lacquer over the metallic paint. T-Cut does not work (not even matalic T-Cut. Other than respraying my bonnet, anyone know of a lacquer T-Cut or any other cure?

Thanks
Damaged paint job - Help please - Obsolete
The top coat is a lacquer. What about a good wax polish? Wouldn't that fill the scratches?
Damaged paint job - Help please - Miller
Another word of advice, do not remove dried on bird c*** with your fingernails, I did this and after rinsing the car you could clearly see where I had marked the lacquer and it is a b***** to get out from under your nails!

The advantage of owning a banger in this area is clear, every new scratch or dent can be dismissed with a mild tut while a new car owner feels suicidal on seeing a scratch on the gleaming paintwork.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Arfur
"The advantage of owning a banger in this area is clear, every new scratch or dent can be dismissed with a mild tut while a new car owner feels suicidal on seeing a scratch on the gleaming paintwork."

I went to school with a chap who, after painting his car matt black, proceeded to keep a can of paint in the glove compartment for bird marks. Just a quick spray and they were gone. Left the bodywork a bit lumpy after a while. A Land Rover appealed to me for a while for the very same reason. (the not minding the dents reason not the matt black one!)
I have heard urban legend that there is a process whereby finely scratched paint can be given a dusting of paint to bring it back to life. I have no idea whether this is true or not. Best practise is to avoid dark colours and to avoid sponges as these trap grit when you are washing the car. A soft brush seems to work well for me. Testement to this is that the car I earn't my pocket money cleaning as a kid was later bought by me and still had shiny paintwork at 13 years old when I sold it. Never cleaned with anything other that a brush.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Andrew-T
The worst damage I have inflicted on a car was removing seagull poo. The little darlings swallow sand, so it is essential to thoroughly soak the blobs before persuading them off. Luckily I only damaged the rear screen! Paintwork would have been a disaster.

Thankyou for testing the swear filter. Next time I delete, not edit. DD.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Mark (RLBS)
Moved from Discussion.

Seems likely to be more appropriate here.

M.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Simon
Hi there, now the cure for your scratched bonnet depends on how bad/deep the scratches are. I understand from your post that it has metallic paint and therefore will have a coat of clear laquer over the top of the base coat. The suggestions that I am going to make are really best left to the professionals, ie bodyshops.

If the scrathes are fairly light then it may be possible to have them polished out with a professional strength cutting polish. T-Cut in my experience is no good for this kind of job. If they will not polish straight out then dependant on the condition of the laquer on the bonnet it may be possible to 'flat' the bonnet (sand it lightly with a very fine grade of wet and dry paper until the laquer is completely smooth) and then polish the shine back into the paintwork. If this doesn't work then the bonnet will have to be repainted and dependant on exactly where on the bonnet the scratches are you may need to have the paintwork on the two front wings blended in as well.
Damaged paint job - Help please - David Lacey
T Cut is cr*p for this type of repair - too fine.

You need a tub (or tube) of Farecla G3

This is a professional rubbing compound, readily available from most auto refinishing suppliers.

Available in various 'strengths' but you'll need to excercise caution - it is all too easy to rub through the paint!

Have a sniff around farecla.com for more info

Good website, too

They have a product which can restore acrylic screens in convertible cars, too :) could be useful

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
I have to hand it to you, you cetainly know your stuff. Farecla G3 is the professional choice.
Damaged paint job - Help please - anthony
Thanks for all that everyone - I am off to buy some Farecla G3 and polish my bonnet with it, ever so carefully. Incidentally, my front wings are plastic - Renault Scenic, so I assume the colour is in the plastic, ie, not painted on.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Dynamic Dave
Incidentally, my front wings are plastic - Renault Scenic, so
I assume the colour is in the plastic, ie, not painted
on.

On the old Reanult Espace they were painted. I assume yours will be the same. Also I think you'll find they're fibreglasss, not plastic. Forgive me if I'm wrong though.
Dynamic Dave, the wings are plastic on a Renault Scenic. If you have never seen them or touched them before you will be amazed at them. They are so flexible you can push and bend them by hand and they will just flex back into shape. They are painted though with the same paint as the rest of the car, the only difference being is that the paint has a flexicising agent added to it to allow the paint to bend as much as the plastic wings.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Dynamic Dave
Dynamic Dave, the wings are plastic on a Renault Scenic.
If you have never seen them or touched them before you
will be amazed at them. They are so flexible you
can push and bend them by hand and they will just
flex back into shape.

If only all body panels were like this. Maybe it would put an end to all those annoying small car park dents that everyone seems to suffer from narrow parking bays these days.
Damaged paint job - Help please - David Lacey
Totally agree DD - even though I baulk at the thought of plastic wings - lack of dents would make up for the shortfall

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Damaged paint job - Help please - jc
That's why the Ka had unpainted bumpers made in 3 pieces front and rear.However you cannot now buy a Ka with unpainted bumpers any longer;Ford say that there is no demand-everyone wants the painted ones.
Damaged paint job - Help please - Pug306xldt
Hi Simon,

I have had my bonnet resprayed I think celluloce was used and the paintwork hasn't come out very smooth, would I also be able to 'flat' the bonnet using a very fine wet and dry and then polish the shine back into the paintwork.

Pug306
Damaged paint job - Help please - Roger Jones
Don't forget that a machine polish at a local body shop can work wonders, eliminating scratches and abrasions that you thought were permanent. I've done it twice, first with a ten-year-old Audi, which came out sparkling, and then with a five-year-old MB, on which the difference was less noticeable but still worth the £100 or so that I paid.
Damaged paint job - Help please - The Tyre Kicker
While your at the shop getting some G3 ask then for some Finesse by 3M. This is an even finer polishing compound than the G3 but it is very good at getting rid of the scratches that you describe.
Damaged paint job - Help please - eMBe {P}
While your at the shop getting some G3 .... .... rid
of the scratches that you describe.>>

jc, pug306, roger jones and ttkicker: I wait in anticipation to see if Simon is still around after ONE Year to see these replies!
;-) ! 8-) !

Never mind if he doesn't, because of course the replies will still be of use to others.