2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - hillman1 {p}
Hi All,

A little advice please. SWMBO has the above car. Just recently we have been experiencing problems with the central door locking. When you lock with the remote it immediately unlocks all doors, as if there was one door still open. At the same time you also get a loud warning noise that I think is linked to the alarm. When it happens all the doors are properly shut.

I have tried various ways of seeing where the problem lies, by opening each door in turn and then shutting and locking, only to have the same problem. Last night I didn't re-open any of the doors and just kept on trying to lock it until it worked- I think on the 5th attempt.

I guess it may be one of the connectors in any of the doors, but wouldn't know what exactly to look for or what to do.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers.

Nick
2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - Rover25
Firstly I suggest that check the condition the connecting wires- within the door shut there will be a flexible hose with several wires inside.
Check to see if any of the wires are broken or have the insulation worn through causing a short- the drivers door is the most likely as it gets the most use.
There will also be a ECU controlling the central locking, not sure where to look for it in your car, but if you can find it and check the connections are clean and secure.
2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - Screwloose
Nick

Try locking the front doors with a key and report what happens - sounds like a sticky lock.
Thanks for the replies. Have been reliably informed that the day before yesterday she locked it with the key and it was fine, yesterday she did the same and it locked the drivers door and the others remained unlocked.

Thanks once again.

Has it got a keylock in the passenger's door?
I believe so, but will have to check when I get home later to be certain.
Screwloose,

The car does indeed have a key lock on the passenger door.

Nick

Edited by hillman1 on 29/02/2008 at 19:32

....and does it work the central locking...?
... sometimes.

Just been out there. It sometimes locks on the remote, sometimes immediately unlocks. Same if you use the key on either front door. On occasions when using the key it will only lock that door, not the others. The unlocking is more frequent than the locking.

Also after 5 attempts with the remote it stops working all together until you turn the key in the ignition, which I guess resets it...
Brief update.

Seems as though it probably was a sticking lock. Last weekend sprayed WD40 in all the door locks- still the same problem, but after spraying the boot lock as well it got progressively better. Haven't had the problem since Sunday.

Thanks for the advice.

Nick
Spoke too soon!

The problem returned after about 2 weeks and I have not been able to resolve using the method before.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can resolve it. Generally not a great problem as SWMBO uses the car for the school run and not much else and then it is blocked in by my car at night at the back of the house, but need to try and get it sorted.

I'm reluctant to use a garage as money is tight at present. Would do if need be, but would rather have a go if I can.

May be a silly question, but if it is a sticking lock could I just replace the mechanism without changing the key etc. and if so what are the chances of the front doors having the same part as the rear doors? At least then I could buy one for each side and try replacing each one until I find the faulty one- if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance.

Nick
2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - patsy622
Hi Nick I have exactly the same problem with the back door drivers side. Real problems trying to lock the car then when it is locked it will suddenly unlock itself. Tried WD40 and was ok for a few weeks. When I manually push the catch in it seems to still get stuck and have to fiddle about with it otherwise can't even shut the door.

Patsy
Hi Patsy,

I still haven't managed to resolve the problem. Summer 2008 I had no problems with it, but during the Autumn months the problem reoccured, generally when the weather was more damp. I put up with it and when the weather improved into Summer months this year the problem went away again. So far it has been OK, but I am expecting the problem to start again soon. WD40 in the locks seemed to help though!

I did replace the boot lock some time last year as it wasn't too expensive and easy to do, so pretty sure that one isn't the problem...

Edited by hillman1 {p} on 05/11/2009 at 13:00

2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - patsy622
Hi Nick I don't have damp problems as I live in Spain but had a sort of mechanic take the cover off the door but he couldn't find anything loose so he coated everything with oil. Seems ok for now except when I went over a bump the light came on again but then went off. So keeping my fingers crossed.

Cause got another problem now as the airbag light constantly flashes. This was ok as got through the mot twice with it flashing but apparently the law has changed here in spain so won't get throught it again.

Anyone got any ideas. I know abut the wires underneath the car and have wiggled them but still flashes.
2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - Roly93
We had an x plate X xsara with exactly the same fault. It happened when the car was a couple of months outside the manufs warranty, and after speaking with the garage, we agreed a fixed price fix for labour only.

When the vehicle ECU sensed that one of the doors didn't give a good 'locked' signal it was designed to unlock the rest of the doors.

Apparently they said that it was one of the door actuators, but diagnostics could not tell them which one, so they would have to swap them by trial and error.

In the end, all it turned out to be was a badly seated connector on one of the rear door locking actuators, and didn't need any parts swapped.

Edited by Webmaster on 13/11/2009 at 01:03

I am not technically minded at all, but I am pretty certain that the later version of the Xsara had multiplex wiring so not sure whether it would be the same reason for the fault. However, I need to investigate it again as I predicted earlier this week that I thought it would start occuring again, and sure enough, yesterday was the day!!! Typical!
2001- 1997cc. Central Door Locking Fault - Roly93
Our car had multiplex wiring, they facelifted the Xsara slightly in 2001, but I would assume that basic things like this would be the same.
I realised when I posted my last one that you may also have the facelifted version as well. I will have a go with your suggestion. Thanks