2005 Diesel - Low oil level - csgmart
I am currently driving arund the the company pool car which is a diesel Golf.

Quite a nice car in many ways - nothing special but quite nice to drive.

After a long run [Bristol to Hove] I switched the engine off and upon restarting was told that the oil level was low.

Purchased 1 litre of 507 spec oil from Halfords and it took the full litre to even get the dip stick to register the fact that oil had been added. The level is about half way up the dip stick.

The car was recently serviced (roughly 3k miles ago) and to me this seems excessive consumption.

I'm not a slow driver but I don't cane the engine and always let it get up to full working temp before applying the loud pedal. Can't talk for the other users of the car though.

Is this a trait of diesel Golfs?

Edited by Webmaster on 28/02/2008 at 09:49

Diesel - Low oil level - csgmart
If it matters it's a 2005 model (sorry should have put this in the title).
Diesel - Low oil level - Armitage Shanks {p}
You have no way of knowing, for sure, if the level was correct when the car came away from the service. I admit that my experience is that a car tends to come out overfilled rather than under but keep an eye on the consumption over the next 1000 miles. I think I would give your car pool manager a heads up too - you don't want to be held responsible if the engine lets go while you are driving the car!
Diesel - Low oil level - hector1975
The alloy sump rides very low on these so it might have been kerbed and cracked. Or maybe the sump plug is leaking badly or possibly oil seals on turbo are leaking to name a few causes. It might be within the 'normal' range of oil consumption my diesel golf always needs about a litre between oil changes.
2005 Diesel - Low oil level - Falkirk Bairn
Purchased 1 litre of 507 spec oil from Halfords

I bet that there are many Golfs running low on oil and very few will be topped up with 507. The expense sheet might say 507 (used in the wife's/hubbies' car) but the reality is it is as likely to be Tesco Bargain basement in the Company Golf.
Hmmm - did the same again on Friday. Had to top up with another litre of 507 - £16.99 from a service station on M42.

Glad it's not my car......
2005 Diesel - Low oil level - quizman
How many miles has the car done since you last put some oil in?

My diesel Passat does not use any oil between services, my new Golf diesel has used half a litre in 4500 miles.

A friend of my wife has a A4 diesel, I check the oil for her and it seems to use a vast amount. I must have put in at least 8 litres over 30000 miles. My son had a M class diesel which also used alot of Mobil 1, quite often I put 2 litres in. He's hopeless at maintenance, he used to be a mechanic!

It seems that some cars do use alot and some don't, I do not think it makes much difference which make it is.
2005 Diesel - Low oil level - L'escargot
There's a rumour going round that lowlife are stealing oil out of car sumps because of the high price of crude oil.
How many miles has the car done since you last put some oil in?

About 6 - 7k at a guess.
2005 Diesel - Low oil level - daveyjp
So you know it uses oil, yet you still don't do anything about it until told it needs some? OK it's not your car, but surely a couple of minutes to check it every couple of weeks is better than having to find 507 oil while out and about? At the very least have a litre bottle in the car!
2005 Diesel - Low oil level - mikeyb
My Partners 2005 Sharan Tdi used a litre before its first longlife service, (at 20K) and second service was reached (at 40K) with no top up, but friends experiences appear to vary a lot
So you know it uses oil yet you still don't do anything about it until
told it needs some? >>

And you're so perfect that you check the oil level on your own car religiously right?