1992 1.8 driver with webber (relay trouble) - NewnooMk2
Hello,
Can anybody help please!! I have recently noticed that one of my relays has been going, well nuts. Eratic clicking on and off, i think i have diagnosed correctly that the relay in question (numbered 1) is concerned with idling speed as when i hear it click on in neutral the idling speed increases slightly. When this relay is having one of its' bad days (normally during acceleration or dropping revs) it is causing my headlights and dash lights to pulse, which is obviously not good.
I'm wondering whether maybe this relay is redundant now as i am running a webber carn with a manual choke. or is it still needed? If i remove the relay my revs seem to be ok, and no pulsing of headlights anymore. I'm just a bit worried that the relay may be important or that by removing it i am ignoring a more serious problem that is causing this in the first place.
Just one more thing that might help. when i bought the car the guy told me that he had had a problem with pulsing headlights and that it was solved by fitting a new alternator ( actually not a whole alternator just a small part of it was replaced), not sure if this could shed any light on the problem i'm having, doesn;t really seem connected but i'm new to all this so i wouldn't know :)
Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks
Neil

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2008 at 00:45

1992 1.8 driver with webber (relay trouble) - Screwloose
Neil

What's your engine code? What carb/injection set-up did it have?
1992 1.8 driver with webber (relay trouble) - jc2
Don't know about the VW but some makes used a relay to up the idle speed by means of a "throttle-kicker" on the carb or in the throttle linkage to cope with high electrical loads at idle-HRW/heated seats for example.
Hi, thanks for your reply, i'm not sure what the carb/injection set up is. All i know is that the pierburg carb was exchanged for a webber carb with a manual choke. I think the engine code is gu0362 680. If this isn't the engine code please can you advise how i can find it, sorry, as i said i'm new to all this :(

I've a feeling that a GU has a "hedgehog" inlet manifold heater relay. [All relay data has been deleted for these.] The load from that alone would account for your voltage drop.

The Pierburg 2E2 would also have had heater wiring to it; what was done with that wiring?
Unfortunately my knowledge of the changeover to a webber carb is limited as the previous owner did this. I notice a few wires around the area of the carb which are no longer connected to anything, i have just secured them to the engine bay to stop them moving about. Are you saying that these wires are probably off the pierburg and should be connected to the webber also?

I doubt that the Weber [pronounced Vaber incidentally] has any heated passageways; but some of those wires are live and should have been properly insulated and secured.

If they have been shorting; then that may account for your relay misbehaving.
1992 1.8 driver with webber (relay trouble) - ggh1
Check that the smaller wires that connect to the battery terminal pinch clamps make a good clean contact at the pinch clamp through bolt.