2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - jbif
Vectra 2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please. It is technical question but is related really to a buying decision rather than solving a technical problem, hence the question is appearing on this side of the forum.

I am posting on behalf of a friend who is considering buying a one/two year old Vectra 2.2 direct petrol engine car.
I have told him of the few issues mentioned on HJ's car-by-car. The problems listed by HJ are
1. Ignition control unit of 2.2 petrol engine is prone to burning out.
2. Seems to be a problem with clutch pedal return springs (which can contribute to a burned out clutch).
3. Several complaints of "creaking from front suspension", later identified as loose radiator mounts.
4. 2.2 16v petrol engine has been known to snap its timing chain due to the lubrication jet becoming blocked, ..... Vauxhall Z22SE 2.2 litre engine was modified from March 2002, engine number 11065400, to overcome the timing chain lubrication problem.

Does any one here know whether any of the above issues would apply to the 56/07 year models, and in particular whether anyone has come across the chain snap problem has been cured or whether it has continued on the modified and supposedly "problem-cured" engines made since March 2002.

Many thanks for any information/experience of the above engine/car that you might be able to pass on.

left in here !

Edited by Pugugly. on 23/02/2008 at 23:04

2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - De Smythe
Snapping of timing chain long since eradicated. I had this engine in an 04 Astra and VX dealer told me at time of purchase that problem had been cured 2 years previously and that it had only affected a FEW year 2000-early 2002 Astra/Vectra models. Checks on the Astra Owners and Vectra Owners forums at that time assured me likewise and in fact I only encountered two owners who had been affected and they was cured under warranty anyway. These days little more than scaremongery or chinese whispers if anyone tells you otherwise and not sure why this old chestnut still does the rounds 6 years after the event.

It's also a sweet but thirsty engine and cries out for a 6 speed box (maybe the direct has this?)
2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - Dynamic Dave
It's also a sweet but thirsty engine and cries out for a 6 speed box (maybe the direct has this?)

Nope. Both the manual and auto box are 5 speed.
1. Ignition control unit of 2.2 petrol engine is prone to burning out.

Although HJ mentions it, I've never seen it mentioned on vauxhallownersnetwork or vectra-c.com
2. Seems to be a problem with clutch pedal return springs (which can contribute to a burned out clutch).

No, this contributed to stopping the cruise control from working. Pedal wasn't fully returning and thus the switch told the CC that the clutch pedal was still engaged.
3. Several complaints of "creaking from front suspension" later identified as loose radiator mounts.

Long sorted.
4. 2.2 16v petrol engine has been known to snap its timing chain ...

As said, should be sorted by now. Loads of info available about the 2.2 at:-
www.z22se.co.uk/forum/index.php
2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - jbif
De Smythe and Dynamic Dave:
Many thanks for your input. It has put friend's mind at ease.
DD, thanks for the link to the z22se forum. Also found the www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51508 where a Dynamic Dave is in fine form tackling some posters including one "gazlcc" who claims to have a problem with a "vectra 2.2 direct SRi 2005".

p.s. re - >> cries out for a 6 speed box (maybe the direct has this?)
Friend says the car he is looking at is definitely a manual that has a 6 speed gearbox ! ?
Dynamic Dave is in fine form

;o)
Friend says the car he is looking at is definitely a manual that has a 6 speed gearbox ! ?

Yes, my earlier posting was wrong. It's only the 1.8i 16v VVT that has the 5 speed manual box.

Loads of info available at

www.who-sells-it.com/images/catalogs/1375/pdf_5194...f

page 6 has the engine & gearbox info.

Plenty of other brochures for different manufacturers on that site as well:-
www.who-sells-it.com/c/automotive-manufacturers-35...l

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/02/2008 at 01:02

2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - Telfordsteve
Don't bother, I'll never buy another Vauxhall again. My timing chain has just snapped on an '04 plate 2.2 direct SRi. It has 60K on the clock, I bought it from Vauxhall and has full VSH. They told me the repair bill is going to be £1500 plus. When I mentioned the fact that everyone knows the chains snap on these they didn't want to know and told me that this had been sorted, well obviously pink fluffy dice not. After a lot of complaining to my local dealer carrying out the repair I managed to get 30% towards repairs from Vauxhall as a good will gesture from which they wouldn't budge. I can't go to anyone or prove that this is a manufacturing fault so I'm going to have to grab my ankles and take this one like a man. When it comes back from the garage it's going up for sale and I won't replace it with a poxy vauxhall that gives up after 4 years. I wish I'd never sold my 8 valve SRi Cav.
pink fluffy dice Steve.
Thank you.

{nearly deleted this one for triggering the swearfilter twice - and for your hate of Vauxhalls ;o) }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/04/2008 at 20:18

2.2 direct petrol 56/07 - advice please - Screwloose
Steve

That's a standard line from all manufacturers when they cock up - it's straight from the Sir Humphrey book of excuses.

"Although a few isolated cars [all of them] may have had [did have] these problems; this fault has now been [ignored as a good workshop earner] completely sorted in cars built after ......... [no it hasn't!] All claims have been fully met under our extremely generous warranty [once we lost the court case] and did we mention that it was only an isolated problem anyway......"

I can think of glaring examples of this strategy from Nissan; Mazda; Nissan; Peugeot/Citroen; Nissan; Ford; Nissan; Vauxhall; Nissan; oh did I mention Nissan...?