Death of my Xantia - Peter C
It seems appropriate that since the purchase of my Xantia (April 2000)coincided with me discovering this very interesting and helpful site that I should record its demise here. Finding an enthusiast and expert like Mr Woollard was a real treat. I went on to get his tips on running and chosing a Xantia from his web site. My Xantia was a 96 vsx diesel. I bougth it from the company I was working for at the time. I bought it blind trusting the service manager. The car was sound but when I picked it up it was clear the clutch was in need of replacement and the tyres were worn off on the edges at the front. It turned out that as Mr Woollard said to be under inflation. The replacements have been fine. Just a pity the full service history had not picked up the need for a clutch.It had just had the expensive 72,000 mls service.

I have enjoyed the car for 2 years, the mileage now reading 100,000 and I planned to keep it for two more. I looked after it and servicing was carried by me (well regular oil changes) and the more technical bits by a moonlighting Citroen mechanic which kept the bills down.The car always delivered over 45 mpg and more with careful driving.

About 3 weeks ago I was tail ending whilst stationary in standing traffic on the M3. It appears that the car is a write off.It drives fine but the roof is bent and the rear is well buckled.I am now waiting for the offer from the Insurance company of the guilty party.

I may well get another Xantia.the only thing I did not like about it was the relatively heavy clutch.Are they all heavy clutches on Xantia diesels?

Cheers

Peter

Death of my Xantia - M.M
Peter,

Thanks for the kind words but sorry to hear about the Xantia. Given the level of payout you'll be offered another Xantia may be your best bet.

I don't find the clutch heavy but be warned that symptom is a sign of a worn one. Many Xantia's over 70K may be suffering this to a greater or lesser extent.

David W
Death of my Xantia - Ian Cook
Peter

I've never had trouble with Xantia clutches (2) but we have noticed a little heaviness creeping in on my son's Pug 306D at nearly 100K, which may well have the same basic gearbox/clutch design.

If you replace your car with another Xantia then please try the HDi 110. It's a wonderful improvement over the already excellent TD and I think it has a hydraulically operated clutch.

Ian Cook
Death of my Xantia - Matt
Ian,

This "heaviness creeping in" is quite common in 306 diesels and is caused by the drying-out of the clutch cable due to its proximity to the exhaust. You should have it sorted or the clutch will soon be stuffed.
Thanks for that tip, Matt. We'll have a look at this with a view to fitting a new cable.

Ian Cook
Death of my Xantia - David Lacey
A heavy clutch (as DJW says) is a sure sign of a worn clutch

If my BX TD clutch cable is/was anything to go by, best of luck changing it!

Never again!

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Death of my Xantia - BobC
Matt,

I can't understand how friction in the cable can increase the forces on the clutch itself and increasing the likelyhood of clutch failure. Could you explain this?
Bob/Matt

Since this clutch and cable topic was raised I had the opportunity to drive the aforementioned highish mileage 306D for a fair few miles yesterday, and assess its clutch characteristics.

It's heavyish, but what is just becoming noticeable (if you really look out for it) is the slight stickiness which I think is in the cable. Pushing the clutch out is never a problem, but letting it in is accompanied by tiny jerks at the pedal. It's not enough to make the clutch snatch, and most people would never notice it, but I think that if it is left like that then it will, inevitably, transmit shock to the clutch components.

Ian Cook
Death of my Xantia - Matt
I learnt this from HJ's car-by-car breakdown on the 306-can't actually explain it myself-perhaps too much friction on the cable to allow the clutch to engage fully?
Death of my Xantia - morgan
A heavy clutch in a Xantia is VERY bad news. The clip that holds the clutch cable to the pedal is made of plastic(ingenious!) and a heavy clutch WILL definitely break this clip in a short time. The plastic clip only costs around £10 but you would not believe how difficult and back breaking it is to replace, apart from the fact that you will be left stranded on the side of the road when it goes (and it will go!). Citroen charge 2-3 hours labour and price of clip to repair but this is a waste of money because once the clutch is heavy the clip will break again. I recommend not to buy a Xantia with a heavy clutch under any circumstances - its just not worth all the hassle you will suffer later.
Death of my Xantia - dave18
This is true. This is why my lovely ****heap Polo went through 2 in 3 months.