Lost logbook: Catch-22 for a motor trader? - ThwartedEfforts
Hi folks,

This seems like such a common conundrum but I can't find anything definitive on the subject. So here goes...

I'm a part-time trader with only a little experience, and I've been offered an ex-lease car without a logbook. As any fule kno, to get the logbook replaced I need form V62 and complete it as either (a) the existing keeper or (b) a new keeper.

The problem here is that I have no idea who the current keeper is, and nobody in their right mind is going to buy a car without a V5 - especially when a warning to that effect is splashed across the 'Buying and Selling' section of the DVLA web site.

What to do? In fact is there anything I *can* do? I phoned DVLA and the doris there simply repeated the obvious, i.e. that I needed form V62. I explained that this wasn't any good, because V62 would only become useful *after* a sale, and I wanted the V5 before. I got nowhere.

I dunno, all this fuss. You'd think I was buying and selling Kalashnikovs rather than metal boxes with a wheel at each corner!

Any thoughts gratefully received, including the obvious "Go look for another car!" :)

Cheers
Lost logbook: Catch-22 for a motor trader? - spikeyhead {p}
you can either sell it without a logbook.

Or you can apply for a new logbook in your name.

As with any dichotomy, there is always at least one other option, it is usually the third option that is the best.

Walk away from that car.
Lost logbook: Catch-22 for a motor trader? - ThwartedEfforts
Thank you. Will do.
Lost logbook: Catch-22 for a motor trader? - Chris S
I was offered a Micra that didn't have a current V5, but I found an old-style one amongst the MOTs.

The engine had been swapped - which probably explained the huge clouds of smoke from a 'low mileage' car.