Lorry fires - 2cents
Two reported today and I have heard of several more traffic news updates refering to them in the last week.
'The M5 northbound in Gloucestershire has reopened after a fire on a hay lorry closed the motorway earlier.
The incident happened between Junction 13 for Stroud and Junction 14 at Falfield.'
and
'Police marksmen had to shoot a number of badly injured pigs after an animal transporter caught fire on a stretch of motorway in County Durham.
Both carriageways of the A1(M) were closed for a time after the incident between Carville and Chester-le-Street in the early hours.'.

Lorry fires seem to be an ever increasing factors in Motorway closures. Any one know what the figures are per year ?
Lorry fires - Collos25
After vehicle defect wasn't the disgarding of cigerettes out of the window the next largest cause of vehicle fires.
Lorry fires - R75
I would have thought there are more car fires, difference is that the lorries are bigger so have more to burn and carry goods which can be anything from bottles of water to gas cylinders so they shut the motorway as a precaution.
Lorry fires - craneboy
apparently the County Durham fire was caused by a tyre blowout. I think by law all lorries should be made to carry extinquishers.

Edited by craneboy on 14/02/2008 at 19:21

Lorry fires - R75
apparently the County Durham fire was caused by a tyre blowout. I think by law
all lorries should be made to carry extinquishers.

Many do, but to be honest, depending on the load, I would rather be on the phone to the Fire Service then trying to put out a tyre that was on fire and heating up 2 other very large pressure vessels that are filled with rubber and steel and likely to explode at any moment!!!!!
Lorry fires - mss1tw
8< SNIP!

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

neither could I

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/02/2008 at 21:20

Lorry fires - 2cents
Figures any one for the number of lorry fires versus the number of car fires on our highways ?
Lorry fires - Bromptonaut
If there are stats for vehicle fires they'll probably be on the DfT website.

My own observations, ie fires or burned out vehicles seen while driving, have not given any impression that lorries combust disproportionately.

They are however more likley to have cargoes that are hazardous, spill or escape. Even benign loads like wood, hay or waste paper make a good bonfire!!

In those circs much more likely that road needs to be closed to limit risk and facilitate fire brigade and investogator access. Also more likley to damage surface with longer closure while tarmac is relaid.

Incidentally lengthy closures after fatal incidents are not just a road feature. Main line to the West Midlands closed for 6 hours earlier today:-

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/...m

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/02/2008 at 21:01

Lorry fires - Harleyman
Quite simply there's more of it to burn! Wood and paper are far from benign, like straw (and following motorcyclists!) they're at risk from carelessly discarded cigarette ends. The most common cause is probably tyre blow-outs or sticking trailer brakes, and no they're not always easy to spot in time. It is not good sense to stand too close to a tyre which may explode; in most cases the driver is either killed or seriously injured if this happens.

FYI any vehicle which does ADR work (that's chemicals, fuel, etc, distinguished by square orage plate front and rear) MUST be fitted with several fire extinguishers, and the driver is specially trained. As with any other kind of fire, though, the advice is to only tackle it if by doing so you are not putting yourself in danger.
Lorry fires - Pat L
It was the southbound carriageway of the M5 actually - I should know because I was in the jam for nearly two hours! The wreckage was just a charred lorry chassis.

Returning from Devon yesterday we were caught near J11 northbound due to crash which blocked lanes 1 & 2 (heard it announced on local traffc report) but was lucky enough to be able to come off and go through Cheltenham. This crash was probably caused by the idiots who were tailgating at 80mph+ despite the chevrons etc. Idon't use the motorways a lot but I never fail to be dismayed by the lunacy of some drivers, and I'm surprised there aren't more crashes than there are.

Pat
Lorry fires - shoei
Majority of HGV fires I attend are brakes overheating.
Lorry fires - frazerjp
Here are some quotes of some of the ADR regs from a magazine:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes should carry a minimum of 4kg dry-powder extinguisher.
Above 3.5 tonne but no more than 7.5 tonne should have an 8kg version.

Any vehicles above 7.5 tonnes should carry at least 12kg dry-powder extinguisher with at least a 6kg example..

These don't just apply to tankers these are normal everyday wagons.
Lorry fires - yorkiebar
Why isnt it compulsory for every vehicle (ok motor bikes allowed to be excluded) to carry a fire extinguisher, and a first aid kit. And first aid should be part of the test too.

Might just make a few idiots drive a bit better in a roundabout way!
Lorry fires - Harleyman
Might just make a few idiots drive a bit better in a roundabout way!

If they're idiots, they shouldn't go near roundabouts anyway............ sorry couldn't resist it! ;-)

To answer your question; my guess is that the majority of drivers would do more harm than good with a fire extinguisher, unless they were properly trained. Furthermore extinguishers have a limited lifespan, I wouldn't want to depend on one that was more than five years old.

As for first aid kits, good idea but...... my 5-series has one under the passenger seat but I'll bet my bottom dollar that most drivers whose cars have such an extra are blissfully unaware of its existence because they don't RTFM!

Lorry fires - grumpyscot
>>
>> Furthermore extinguishers have
a limited lifespan I wouldn't want to depend on one that was more than five
years old.

Contents of some first-aid kits also have "use by dates".