Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - whoopwhoop
Just interested in comments really.

Brothers Honda Jazz went in for it's 2nd annual service at a main dealer "down south" recently. £190 later he drove away happy.

2 weeks later (whilst on holiday in Cornwall), horrible grinding noise from front of car. RAC called... jacked car up to find front brake pads had worn down to bare metal!

Comments/thoughts?

PS thankfully the discs aren't scored too badly...

Edited by whoopwhoop on 12/02/2008 at 16:19

Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - normd2
I'd take the worn pads back to the garage and show them to the service manager. you might get no-where but then again you might come to an 'agreement' - a freebie of some sort perhaps or even new discs.
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - OAP
I would be hopping mad with them. Even though £190 was less than the going rate for the two-year service...your brother paid for the work to be done (as listed in the Service Book Schedule) yet surely the most vital thing for the safety for him and his passengers was not done and the mechanic may be just as careless with other peoples cars!

As`a matter of interest, what mileage had he done at the time?

Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - doctorchris
I find Honda dealers to be a pretty honest and decent bunch. If he brings this matter to the attention of the service manger, especially if he shows him the worn pads, I think that he will be concerned and want to trace what went wrong in the servicing process and will also offer some compensation, maybe vouchers for free servicing in the future.
No systems are entirely fool proof but I feel that a Honda dealer would appreciate the feedback to try to prevent future similar errors.
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - Bill Payer
At our Jazz's last service, the dealer told me that based on our mileage vs pad wear, they thought the pads had about 7500 miles to go. As the car does about 6000 miles per year they didn't suggest changing them. (I'd been expecting the "we've got the wheels off and the pads are worn" call, so their approach was pleasing).
However they did tell me that there's a very obvious audible warning screech as the pead get to the end of there life, but even then they should be good for 1000 miles of typical use.
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - Falkirk Bairn
Service Managers are keen to replace part worn brake pads

He will be fuming that a"money making opportunity" was missed.

£30 parts and 30 mins labour invoiced at £130!
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - DP
Service Managers are keen to replace part worn brake pads
He will be fuming that a"money making opportunity" was missed.
£30 parts and 30 mins labour invoiced at £130!

Yes, my experience too. I was told almost with glee that the Scenic's brake pads would probably not make the next service, and the discs would need changing as well as they were lipped. I opted to leave them and monitor.
Discs are indeed lipped, and will need changing at the same time as the pads, but the pads are easily going to make the next official service unless the material suddenly gets softer (or falls off the backing plate). I fully intend to buy the parts and do this myself anyway, but when needed and not before.

Cheers
DP
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - doctorchris
Last time my Panda 4x4 went in for a service the dealers suggested that the front pads might not make it to the next service but did not even try to persuade me to have the job done. They simply suggested I keep an eye on things and maybe bring the car in after a few months for them to check the wear, I found this a very fair and honest approach.
I'm a bit more worried that the girl on reception also said that if the brakes got very noisy I should get them checked. I think she was implying that I might be hearing metal on metal. However, I suspect this was her own contribution and not the official policy of the dealer.
In general I'm finding dealers to be more honest, competent and much better in communication than in years gone by. There will always be the bad guys but most have cleaned up their acts, probably in response to consumer opinions and the will of manufacturers to maintain good customer relations.
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - Falkirk Bairn
I find Honda dealers to be a pretty honest and decent bunch.

It is the exception the proves the rule

Put my Civic in for an Engine Mgt Light

Got a list that was in excess of £1000 that "needed attention"
AC Condenser, Brake pads & disks, suspension bushes,...........

Sold the car 18mths later, £50 re-gas of AC and new pads (£50 fitted at local Indie)
Main dealer failed to spot worn brake pads - MGspannerman
I took my Corolla in for a service with 11000 on the clock when I first got it to find that the pads and discs, amazingly, had 2-3000 miles left in them. 10000 miles later they were apparently in such good shape that the same main dealer did not feel the need to comment. I changed the pads shortly after at a cost of £33 and an hour and half of my time. Its in again on friday for a 30k service so I will be interested to see what they say then. I only have the basics done to get the stamp in the book, anything else is done by me or a trusted local.

MGs