2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - Mr Pickles
I have had four quotes to have the cam belt replaced on my 8 year old Peugeot 406 Hdi, 52,000 miles. The first from Peugeot was about £450. The next, two local garages, were £360 and £300 and the fourth quote was, from someone recommended to me and who is ?a good mechanic?, £95. Naturally, I am a little worried about the last quote and I mentioned this when I spoke to him. He said that was perfectly understandable but that I could watch him carry out the work if it made me feel better.

He was of the opinion that there is no way that this work would take anywhere near the three and a half to four hours that I?ve been told it would take. I managed to locate a parts retailer on the web and found a replacement cam-belt for this model for about £45, which means the labour charge for the lowest quote is about £50.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I was wondering what people thought of these quotes, especially the lowest, and would welcome any advice. Thanks.

2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - maltrap
i was told by a pal who works at a bmw main agents that experienced technicians there can change cambelts in 40 minutes! ps don't forget to change the tensioners as well

Edited by maltrap on 11/02/2008 at 19:40

2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - madf
When your good mechanic ruins the engine by getting the timing wrong, or does not replace the tensioners, or the cambelt comes off due to incorrect fitting, how much comeback will you have?
2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - Screwloose

Can't comment on the competence of your mechanic - some people seem to work for the love of it; but do you really want to fit the cheapest cam-belt you can find on an HDi?

Only an OE or Gates kit is safe to fit - and the Gates kit will require the use of a SEEM tensioning gauge to qualify for their excellent warranty. Fit a genuine water-pump while he's in there.
2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - Mr Pickles
Thanks for your replies. The cheap quote will definitely be kicked into touch here for the good reasons mentioned in responses. What is an OE kit? And will this and the Gates consist of tension pulleys and any other necessary bits and pieces. I suppose what I?m asking here is what exactly I should insist on being fitted here besides the belt itself.

Am I right in thinking the water pump is nothing to do with the cam belt but is a good idea to replace while everything is out?
Thanks again
2000 X reg 2.0 Hdi cam belt replacement - Screwloose

OE - original equipment.

A kit is belt, guide roller and tensioner - the water-pump is cam-belt driven.