Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - blueslipper
hi all im new here.i need some advice if you would.im about to trade my current car in for a new un at the weekend.the dealer has seen my car and offered me a decent p/x against a new one.problem is my current car has developed a juddering!!?? whilst accelorating,i believe it could be the cat or possibly the spark plugs and lead have blown.now should i tell the dealer or drop my car off and run when i take my new one.YOU DECIDE!!!! help me please

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/02/2008 at 20:28

honesty the best policy? - BobbyG
Probably drop and run. How old is your car? Is dealer going to sell it or put straight to auction?
honesty the best policy? - blueslipper
ta for quick reply.car is 4 years old,ive never had a problem with it before apart from its awful to drive (ford fusion) im p/x ing to a main dealer and dont know what will happen if they drive it after ive left it,is there any comeback?
honesty the best policy? - BobbyG
I don't know if your diagnosis would cause the juddering you mention. However, in my experience, the salesman has never went near my car the day I have traded it in and collected the new one. If you want to be safe, make sure you park it somewhere that means it will not be needed to be moved immediately. Or hope that it is raining as the salesman won't want to get soaked.

Re any comeback, if they don't drive it the day you leave it, well it wasn't like that when you drove it was it??
honesty the best policy? - Morris Ox
I'm afraid I wouldn't cut and run for legal reasons. I'd be upfront and honest that there's a problem, but you're not sure what it is
To some extent, the reaction depends how old you part-ex is.
If it's new-ish and they are likely to try to sell it themselves then they may check it out and revise the part-ex offer downwards to take into account the cost of a repair.
If it's older and likely to be sold on through the trade - in which case it's not their problem - then they might well say that if it's not about to expire they'll ignore it or knock a nominal sum off.
But I really wouldn't keep stum about it. If you're buying you're signing a contract which the part-ex is part of. Supplying a car with undeclared serious faults could be breach of contract.
honesty the best policy? - blueslipper
i must admit,im more inclined to tell them simply beacause i dont want any comeback.however ill cry if they say thats £500 off the value of your car because the catalytic converters gone!!!! ive only just replaced the exhaust as well
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - R75
Why bother telling them!!! Do you think they will want to risk loosing the sale at the last minute if they try to offer you a lower trade in value? Would the salesman risk the sale if a new finance deal could not be reached etc. You are buying a new car from them, I am sure if you were pushing it across the forecourt on the day they would still take it without lifting an eyebrow.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - oldnotbold
It probably just needs new plugs and leads. Drive it in, complete the deal, and drive away happy. Just don't look in your rearview mirror.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - BobbyG
Yes I suppose there is that side of the argument - depending on size of dealership etc and the internal set up, the salesman might only be interested in his commission, the new car will be registered for you etc, he won't want to jeapordise it!
thanks for all these replies.i just wish i had the time and the money and maybe the inclination to fix it before i p/x it,but i dont think i can take the chance of the problem being huge! the garage wont notice the problem straight away because it starts when you really accelarate.cheers all
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - FotheringtonThomas
the garage wont notice the problem
straight away because it starts when you really accelarate.cheers all

So. You will sell a car with problems to a "garage" that won't notice. They will then sell the thing to someone who will. The "garage", having been sold the thing as "OK" will not "believe" the person who buys "your" car. Lots of trouble all around. Wonderful (not)! Get your heads straight, everyone.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Altea Ego
all around. Wonderful (not)! Get your heads straight everyone.

The garage is there to make money out of punters. Most of them border on dishonest to do it.
They saw the car, they offered the money, they have factored in any costs and a nice fat profit. Like they say to the punters - Buyer beware.

My head is straight. Give them the car as is and stop worrying about it. Its probably only a minor fault anyway.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - rtj70
They probably do not care otherwise they'd check your car carefully.

They will no doubt off-load it straight away, possibly via auction.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - 2cents
As most car dealers live for the moment they screw the customer out of as much hard earned cash as possible, consider it a blow on behalf of the rest of us.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - grumpy100
Let the buyer beware. You didn't sell it with a warranty did you?
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Avant
Absolutely, Trevor.

Blueslipper - The salesman is perfectly entitled to look at the car again when you bring it in (and he should do - some punters have a prang and don't own up), and he could drive it if he wants to. Up to him - just answer any questions truthfully (to avoid misrepresentation) but don't volunteer more than you have to.

Remember you're a private individual (at least I assume you are) and the sale of goods legislation doesn't require goods to be of satisfactory quality when you sell them. The status of the buyer is irrelevant.

Edited by Avant on 04/02/2008 at 21:36

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - bathtub tom
>>ive only just replaced the exhaust as well

Co-incidence?
When did the problem start in relation to fitting the new exhaust?
the problem started last week,my normal garage fixed the exhaust,which had a hole in,the "missing" or juddering i described was there before and after the exhaust replacement.could it be spark plugs and coil? if its not going to set me back too much i will get it done,however even a diagnosis test is £35 before i start
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - stuartl
>>>>>>>however even a diagnosis test is £35 before i start

.......and will probably be held on record if it is done by a main dealer and will prove to the dealer that you were aware of a fault before you sold the car.

What they have made out of you on the new car will easily cover the cost of their own workshop diagnosing the fault and if they consider it a problem too expensive to fix they will likely put it in the next auction and shift the problem onto someone else.

Dont lose any sleep over this!

Edited by stuartl on 04/02/2008 at 22:38

Please give a full description of your part ex...don't want to find myself bidding on this heap of junk !
Remember you're a private individual (at least I assume you are) and the sale of
goods legislation doesn't require goods to be of satisfactory quality when you sell them.

However, if you know, or reasonably ought to have known, of "problems", then you are liable. Should I be "done" in the way that I percieve opinon here is indicative of, I should most certainly take legal action to recover my expenses - and also, my costs.
You have to do what you think is right.

If you rip off the dealer, then that's one thing - your actions may "come back" on you, or someone else (or, as "you" comprise a small part of society, and society's actions may be averaged, just "you"). We, as a community, depend, to a very large degree on trust. So, what you do affects everyone, as well as just your own conscience. "The dealer" has "offered me a decent p/x" - well, what will you do? Abuse that trust? How will "the dealer" treat you, or others, in future?

To my mind, the answer is simple. It is quite possible that the "problem" is very minor, anyway, from what you say - so, "the dealer" may be able to help you by fixing "the problem" at cost.

There's a good deal of dishonesty in some sections of society - perhaps some is expressed in thoughts elsewhere in this thread. Personally, I would not go along with such. Will you?
Think of it as a credit, Blueslipper. If this dealer doesn't rip you off, one will eventually.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - ForumNeedsModerating
Think of it as a credit, Blueslipper. If this dealer doesn't rip you off, one will eventually.

What a sad outlook! Why don't we all pre-empt any possible future bad deal by getting the retaliation in first, eh? Your first instincts were correct Blueslipper - inform the dealer that a small problem has developed - not present when you dealt originally. As most posters have suggested, it's probably very minor (..and cheap for a garge to fix internally) , I douby very much it'll impact on the deal price. Bear in mind that you sold part/ex or trade-in price, which contains the contingency to fix problems (or refurbish ) & still provide a profit at dealer retail price.

Edited by woodbines on 04/02/2008 at 23:40

i must admit that im swaying towards telling the dealer of the problem.thanks for all your views,you have helped.ill let you know what happens on trade in day.once again many thanks all
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Blue {P}
I wouldn't say a thing, just chop it in and get rid, they'll probably cart the thing straight off to auction.

I never test drove any of my part ex's, just checked that they started and watched the customer drive off after concluding the deal, I only got stung once with an old dog of a Cavalier that emptied it's engine oil and water all over the forecourt on the day of trade-in. :-)

All this talk of breach of contract and the dealer having access to records of attempted repair is pretty paranoid, they won't even look twice at it.

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - honeybear
I would just leave it and say nothing, my experiences with p/x is that the salesman would not be interested at all he has sold you a car given you a deal for your px he is happy you are happy end of story.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You could spend £50 on plugs and leads (you say they have blown - whatever that means). Tell the dealer you've done it and you still aren't 100% happy with how it's running and then over to him. A sort of middle way to go!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 05/02/2008 at 07:40

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Round The Bend
As one who stupidly had a new cambelt, service and MOT before trading in, only for the saleman to look at the body work and jot down the mileage, I would advise the OP to dump and run.

Real question is, did the salesman start the car up and drive it when assessing the P/ex price? If he did n't then there is no way he would have known if there was a fault or not. Hence it could have been there all the time ........

Edited by Round The Bend on 05/02/2008 at 08:28

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - b308
Would agree, RB, if he had taken it for a test drive then it has changed and I would tell them, if he didn't then I wouldn't.

At the end of the day you would expect a "professional" car trader to notice faults on any PX, if they don't then I don't have any sympathy with them....
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Dipstick
My first reaction was the same as Fotherington Thomas and Woodbines, but even more extreme. I was actually completely puzzled that anyone would even think about this, because to me the answer is so obvious.

But then I was reminded of a session in a class at university many years ago, the first one of the term. The question was asked "who here has never shoplifted?". I was the only one who hadn't, and I was taken to task completely for it - EVERYONE else had at least nicked a penny chew in their time. The thing was it had simply never even crossed my mind to do it. However, it had also never crossed the minds of anyone else there (including the teacher) that anyone wouldn't have nicked something by the time they were 18 (the class was about social values anbd I think I was an example that threw the teaching out!).

I was grossly publicly embarrassed and pretty well ostracised from that moment on too, which kind of makes you think about your values!

Luckily, I'm old enough and thick skinned enough now not to care I think that way. To my mind, there's no question - you don't lose sleep over it, you simply mention to the dealer that there's an issue when you hand it over, and if it costs you monetarily, well nobody ever said doing the right thing is always going to be easy. (Not that I'm portraying myself as any sort of paragon, far from it, I often do things I shouldn't, but at least I know darn well when I've done it.)

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - jc2
Nothing wrong when you drove it in;must have happened at the dealers!!
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - BMDUBYA
"Tell him" Because no one, on this forum, has EVER bought a car from a garage and had problems?

Do not tell him for the following
1. He doesnt care
2. Buyer Beware
3. Garages allow for items to be replaced before they are resold, if not sent to an auction.

I have never bought a car that hasn't had to go back to the garage, because when I've driven it for a day or two then noticed issues that don't necessarily show up on a test drive. You are only being dihonest if he asks you if there is anything wrong with the car and you say"No". Have you considered if the salesman will tell you of any issues with the car you are about to pick up?

In the end, do what you feel comfortable with.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - L'escargot
Read the terms of the contract before you sign. Usually there's a clause regarding the condition of the car at the point at which you exchange relative to what it was when the deal was agreed.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Mapmaker
>>Remember you're a private individual (at least I assume you are) and the sale of goods legislation doesn't require goods to be of satisfactory quality when you sell them. The status of the buyer is irrelevant.

The status of the buyer is irrelevant, but SoGA does not apply to purchases by businesses either, does it.

I don't think there is a moral point here. The dealer is the professional man making you an offer for your car. He knows how he values your car.

The dealer won't care. It is entirely up to the dealer to value the car as he thinks best. He could take it out for a spin. If he doesn't, then his valuation is not based on the 'value' of the car. If he asks you whether there is anything wrong with it, then you tell him.

Anyway, he'll be sending it to auction (where nobody will test it either) or it'll be 'serviced' (after a fashion = valeted which won't cost him anything) before going onto his forecourt.

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - teabelly
Ask the sales guy if he wants to take it for a spin or stick it up on ramps to check it is all ok and he's happy it is in decent condition. If he doesn't bother then he isn't interested in making sure the car is in perfect working order. A 4 year old car will have the odd niggle. If they choose not to test drive the car which would show up the fault you describe then that is their look out. The juddering could be something silly like a dirty air filter or crud in the fuel.

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - pd
Depending on what they're doing with it they might not care. However, next time there is a thread on this forum along the lines of "dealers are miserable sods as the best offer I can get on my car as a px is £2000 and I've seen them at £3995 on forecourts" this thread should be referred to as a reminder why dealers offer low px's.

Fact is most dodgy, broken and, yes, frequently clocked cars are the ones offered as px's by normally very honest people.

This thread should also be referred to the next time somebody asks about finding a bargain at auction - remember where these cars end up!

Edited by Webmaster on 06/02/2008 at 10:36

Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - *Gongfarmer*
It's always amazed me that even when trading in an old high milage car, most dealers don't make even the most cursory checks. Five minutes spent looking for signs of cylinder head problems or establishing that the A/C works etc could save hundreds of pounds in repair bills later. Or do they just assume that old cars are not traded in until the owner suspects a major problem and allow for it in the price ?
>>this thread should be referred to as a reminder why dealers offer low px's.

Quite. You agree with the proposition that OP need not bring the dealer's attention to the possible fault. The possibility for problem is already priced into the valuation.

RIGHT,RIGHT THATS IT,IVE HAD ENOUGH AHHHHHHH!!
im getting a diagnosis done this afternoon and if the job (hopefully plugs and lead) costs under £100,im getting it done.the car sounds too much like a jcb and i cant leave it now.what a time for this to occur
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - zookeeper
if the dealer realises you have shafted him just pray your new car doesnt develop any serious problems, he may be reluctant in co-operating with you in future

Edited by zookeeper on 05/02/2008 at 12:52

Rather than spend the money, I suggest you go to talk to your dealer.
ive spoke to the dealer.................he said "im not bothered"!!!!!!
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - rtj70
Which is why mos of us would say don't worry. They are expecting a car to have problems. They will stick it through auction or sell onto a small garage and be done with it.

As others have said the part ex offer will be low to take this into account. You probably would have got more for selling it privately but sometimes the hastle is not worth it.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - pd
Sounds like it's just going to auction. The only time a dealer is likely to be that bothered is if they've had it underwritten by another dealer based on a described condition or they're going to retail it themselves.

PX values tend to assume some degree of faults. In this case as long as it can make it through a ring without apparent faults it will not affect the value in any case.

A good example, however, of why anyone should be very careful buying certain cars at auction!
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - colino
Every traded in car is classed as iffy. If the dealer hasn't priced it accordingly, he hasn't done his job. The car will either go straight to auction and acheive the trade in price or the dealer has a home for it and has already costed in the prep costs.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Avant
"ive spoke to the dealer.................he said "im not bothered"!!!!!! "

Delighted to hear it. I don't think any of us were trying to get you to be dishonest; merely suggesting that it's up to the dealer, if he wants to, to check the car's condition when you hand it over.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Morris Ox
Interesting response, blueslipper, but you were right to mention it. They can't come back to you now, and your conscience is clear.

If anyone thinks that's surprising, try this: I went to replace SWMBO's Honda Civic with a younger one at the weekend. Had a long chat with the salesman about what I was looking for. He didn't have it in stock, but was adamant he could find me one elsewhere in the (non-franchise) network.

Later that day (Sunday) he rang back to say he'd found one in Yorkshire, and if I was up for a redundable deposit he'd get it brought down. I told him my part-ex details and he called back a few minutes later with an offer I was happy with.

Earlier this evening I went to check over the new car and take it for a drive. I was happy, so I signed for the deal including part-ex.

The surprise? He still hasn't seen my part-ex.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Gromit {P}
Of course the dealer isn't bothered about the possible fault on your car, Blueslipper.

1) He built a healty margin for repairs into the P/X offer
2) He wants the sale of the new car more than he's worried about the value of the old one - because the sale is worth more to him
3) You'd be a mug to spend money on the repair before trading in. By all means tell the dealer (as you did), but bear in mind he's not paying labour to his own workshop to repair the fault. You would, though, if you had the work done first!

I've been reminded of this twice recently - once with the ?750 bundle of bills for my old Punto on its 4-yearly timing belt (and unscheduled failures!) service and recently with MiL's ?2,000 bill to get her 00 Focus through its MOT.

PS: To be fair, in the latter case, the Ford dealer rang her having inspected the car to say i'd be as cheap trade it in. She chose to repair because she knows the history of her own car, unlike the hard-worked estate she'd otherwise end up with as a replacement to it.
3) You'd be a mug to spend money on the repair before trading in. By all means tell the dealer (as you did), but bear in mind he's not paying labour to his own workshop to repair the fault. You would, though, if you had the work done first!

Not entirely true, you have to bear in mind that 'sales' & 'servicing' (in most bigger concerns & dealerships) internally account for work done - even if at a preferential rate.
Also, even if doing sales refurb. work for 'nothing' , they'll be the notional (but real) opprotunity cost, i.e. while doing that work, they can't be charging a punter £100ph.

>>Not entirely true, you have to bear in mind that 'sales' & 'servicing' (in most bigger
>>concerns & dealerships) internally account for work done - even if at a preferential rate.

But for the Group as a whole, Ford Corp or whoever, that isn't an issue. It gets done for free.

>>Also, even if doing sales refurb. work for 'nothing' , they'll be the notional (but real)
>>opprotunity cost, i.e. while doing that work, they can't be charging a punter £100ph.

Nah. There's always spare capacity at a garage. (Isn't there?) So the opportunity cost is near to nil - provided they're prepared to wait, which they are.

But for the Group as a whole, Ford Corp or whoever, that isn't an issue. It gets done for free.

If it's really done 'for free' - any level of disrepair can be remedied for no cost presumably? Ask the finance director of your local dealership.

Nah. There's always spare capacity at a garage. (Isn't there?) So the opportunity cost is near to nil - provided they're prepared to wait, which they are.

If there isn't an opportunity cost, I would suggest the that dealership or group will soon be broke. Service & repair income generates the signifigant profit for most non-broker type garages/dealers these days.

Woodbines. You may perform a reductio ad absurdum if you prefer but it won't show you anything worthwhile. In reality, one extra car needing an hour or two in the garage is not going to require the dealer to:

1. Take on extra staff
2. Lose out on other business
3. Incur any additional cost save for any spare parts.

The marginal cost is therefore that of the spare parts, and moreover the *marginal* cost to FORD group as a whole of a branded spare part is next to nothing. You pay £350 for a Ford-branded widget because you are paying for them to carry them as stock. Not because it costs £3.50 (sic) to manufacture.

So when Ford reports its annual accounts to the stock market (which, when it coes down to it is what matters) the cost of rectifying OP's car will have dwindled to near zero... assuming it doesn't end up at auction anyway.
...one extra car needing an hour or two in the garage...

If that's all there is (although you don't say how many cars, over what period) you're probably right.

However, any busines that employs staff makes revenue or income calculations based on output per hour generated per employee & realised retail price of stock held & the profit calculations are this, minus costs. I'll wager any large garage or dealer cannot afford to have technicians working on cars at very low (or 'free') hourly rates - so, whether they're working on cars sold on the premises by salespeople or simply customers' cars in for service/repair, the income generated must reach at least a minimum profit level.

So, the profit the salesperson makes on the retail prepared car must take into account all the costs associated, otherwise it's not an economic proposition. To imply you can casually defray the cost because the 'mechanic wasn't doing anything anyway' & 'the part didn't cost us much, so we can forego retail profit on it' - is novel, to say the least.

To use the 'FORD group as a whole' unit of productivity is a red herring. The economic unit is the dealership or garage - again, you imply that it's ok for a part of the group/network to make a loss, as the group profit will cover this. But if you adopt that fallacious reasoning
- how do you make sure any part makes a profit?
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - dxp55
Blueslipper

I am proud of you - glad to know we are all as honest with dealers as they are with us -- In all the years of buying second hand cars from dealers not one has failed to point out any faults.
examples are - sawdust in sump oil - shot wheel bearings - exhaust held together with asbestos tape and wire - three odd size tyres - leaking windscreen - window won't close once open - leaking fuel tank - valve seals gone - tappets gone - - Yes I can honestly hold my hand on heart and say all the dealers did point out these faults
Ouch!! my nose has just hit monitor - did I just see a pink pig fly over that Ford dealer then.
Drop it off -pick up your new car and drive off with a clear conscience -

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 13:43

thanks once again for responses.im settled now,the fault has been diagnosed as the coil?? (by the spark plugs).cost me £35 and a tenner to fit it.im happy,clear in my head that ive done all i can.
Now the car is 100%, do yourself a favour, sell it privately, get a realistic price for it and pocket the extra cash.

Do a new deal with the dealer now you have no car to part-ex you should get a much better deal as a cash buyer.

Cushty, as Del-Boy would say
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - AlastairW
Its not just the individual that gets ripped off. Sometimes its the dealer. A friend who works in a VW specialist told me the tale of a local, reliable, garage that took a Mk 4 Golf in px against a newer Mk 5. As they had originally supplied the Mk 4, they had no hesitation in offering a more than fair value for the car, confident in their ability to move it on. On the day of exchange the owner handed over the keys with the phrase 'by the way, there is a light on the dash - bye' and off he went. Said light was engine management, and my friend the specialist found it resulted from a broken valve leaving our local, reliable garage with a large repair bill before the car could be sold on.
>>>As they had originally supplied the Mk 4, they had no hesitation in offering a more than fair value for the car, confident in their ability to move it on.

Was the dealer assuming that the Mk4 they previously supplied was driven away from them and parked up in a heated garage and started/driven round the block once a week?
Dont be silly! That car could have been (and maybe was) thrashed senseless by all manner of people since that dealer last saw it. Local and reliable they might be but somewhat naive if you ask me! Not Rocket Science really is it?
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - nick1975
Totally agree Stu

There is a big difference between a business and a consumer.

Dealers should be prepared for the worst, and their px offers reflect that - let them value the car, then take it or leave it.

If you sell privately you should be honest in description and price.
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - jag
where my son works the sales, workshop and spares are run as separate businesses so if sales get a dodgy s/h motor they are charged by the workshop for the reapair and the workshop is charged by the parts dept for parts used. this is the system used by all the motor/agricultural dealers of a decent size that i know of. jag.
hi all,thanks for all replies.i sorted my old car out for less than £100 and traded it in with a clear head.im made up with my new car (fiesta tdci) and fully appreciate all your comments
Leaving a 'iffy' part-ex, honesty the best policy? - Pugugly {P}
Enjoy it !