98 1.0l Starting Problems - shantyshack
Really weird!! If I touch the accelerator before turning the ignition the starter will turn the engine over but the engine will not fire. However, the slightest "bump start" will get it going. My local garage and the AA have not solved the problem. Any ideas out there?

Engine/Year detail added - obviously three visual prompts asking to provide the info is too hard to see.....

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/02/2008 at 17:31

Starting Problems - Screwloose

Year? Engine size?
Starting Problems - shantyshack
Hi,

1998, 998 cc
Starting Problems - Screwloose

Throttle position sensor fault or - more likely - coolant temp sensor/plug connexion fault.

Both need their readings checking in live data.
Starting Problems - shantyshack
Thanks for that, I will follow up as you suggest,

Regards,

Shantyshack
Starting Problems - injection doc
The throttle should not be touched when you go to start & if you hold the throttle down whilst cranking it won't start as this puts the inj system into " clear flood mode" so it turns the injector off. Micra's did have an issue with coolant temp circuits as well & mods were carried out if they flood when starting. they have a resistor fitted in the loom. About £20 from nissan. Alos if you start a Micra up to move it but don't actually drive it for 5 mins or so it won't restart but will go with a bump. this is due to petrol wash & reduced compression or hydraulic tappets jacking.
Doc
Starting Problems - McP
If you have the pre-facelift Micra - They changed in 98.

Check the fuel pump fuse in the fusebox in front of the battery.
The fuse and holder are very prone to damp and corrosion.

As injection doc says, running the car for a couple of minutes the night before will make it very difficult to start in the morning.
98 1.0l Starting Problems - stokebloke
Can you tell me if you found the problem you had with the car not starting as my micra is doing the same?
98 1.0l Starting Problems - stokebloke
I have had my micra for over a year now with no problems till a month ago, when I came to start it up, the engine would not turn over so I called out the RAC they got me started after a while and told me to get new spark plugs which I did the same day. The next day it would not start again so I phoned a mobile mechanic he got me started and charged me £30 but the next day it would not start again so I went and bought a set of bosch spark plugs the car started straight away its been great the last 2 weeks but went to start up again this morning and again the engine wont turn over. Can anyone help?
snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/10/2008 at 13:29