Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - BobbyG
In the ongoing search for a suitable automatic for my dad, he is now seriously interested in a used Xsara PicassoExclusive 2.0 petrol automatic as it meets all his "criteria".

Motorpoint in Glasgow have an 07 with 13032 miles for £8699 (with electric sunroof which I believe was an option)
Citroen dealer has same car with 8877 miles for 9995.

Both cars carry the same area identifier on the plate and "Citroen UK" Slough number plates so assume that Citroen have had a job lot of these autos and sold them on (prob ex lease / rental)

My questions are basically

1. If that is screen price in Motorpoint, I believe they do "add-ons", how much realistically am I looking at as a final price?
2. What price differential would you expect for 4000 miles?
3. Have read the CBC breakdown and have a friend who has a Picasso Exclusive (but manual diesel), any feedback from auto owners?

Obviously a big factor, ultimately will be the trade in price offered and therefore, cost to change

Would also like to hear from Falkirk Bairn who I believe highly recommended Motorpoint in the past.
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - boxsterboy
Another factor to bear in mind is that you are more likely to receive a sympathatic and knowledgable ear for any problems that might arise at the Citroen dealership rather than Motorpoint.

Edit: The glass roof used to be standard on the Xsara Picasso Exclusive, but not sure if it still was by 07.

Edited by boxsterboy on 30/01/2008 at 20:04

Cheers boxsterboy but the dealer that has this car is about 50 miles away so other than purchase won't be used for any servicing etc as he will use one closer to hand.
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - adverse camber
but may still receive a different level of service during the warranty period. I'd travel 50 miles to get decent service if I had a problem.
I hear what you are saying but what is the difference and how will a dealer know? I would ask for the Citroen number plates to be kept on and I assume its the same as the dealer car ie. its registered keeper is currently Citroen UK.?
Would imagine in this day and age any dealer would be delighted to get servicing / warranty work as this is where they make their money?
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Collos25
Thats true.
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Round The Bend
As the car will be under warranty will make no difference where you buy so long as registration etc is complete.

My understanding is that Motorpoint won't haggle over price - the dealer probably will so their price should come down towards the Motorpoint price. If you can get the gap to no more than £500 then this would be a good premium to pay for the lower mileage.

Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Round The Bend
By the way, what is he trading for the Picasso? If it is another Cit, he should get a far better price from the dealer.
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Talking Hoarse
I bought a car from Motorpoint Derby some years ago. And never, ever, again. I chose very carefully, but between me examining it and collecting it got damaged - I suspect by a rock thrown into their yard. I noticed this only when I got the car home, the damage touched in by Motorpoint so they knew all about it. When I rang them they just sent me on a run around, would not return calls despite promises, they wasted my time etc.
So whilst the car was otherwise absolutely spot on, & at a very good price, I found as a dealer they were awful.
So tread carefully.
RTB, its a Peugeot 806.
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - bhoy wonder
Regarding trade in. I think that Motorpoint only give you a trade in price on what the car will get at auction. Which may be lower than what you would get at a dealer.

Edited by bhoy wonder on 31/01/2008 at 10:27

Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Falkirk Bairn
It is now 4 months since I bought my car @ Motorpoint. Cannot complain as service by them was excellent, cannot complain a bout the car either as it has been 100%.

Cannot say anything about Nissan Franchise dealer service other than when buying mats and locking wheel nuts I got excellent service and 15% off the list price - i.e. the price I paid was the VAT exclusive price (15% off List = £17.5 VAT payment within pennies).

I haggled with Motorpoint on the price - After getting T/I value almost agreed - they knocked £500 off the screen price, I got £50 more on the T/I after arguing for a full tank and £40 added to the T/I when I wanted Nissan Mats. I went on the 27th Sept and I thinbk this helped the discount argument - September is a BIG month with the Reg plate change so they were looking to shift iron. Thye would not budge on preparation charge £60 and number plates £30 and of course RFL @ £205).

Discount negotiations and paperwork took 2 hours - that was excellent time spent as I have never earned £250 / hour.

My T/I value was the same as other franchised Nissan Dealer offered - within £25!!.
Cheers for that info FB. Going to take my dad to Motorpoint then the dealer tomorrow and see who is giving better deal.

I assume yours was a new car as opposed to used? Possibly more scope for negotiating on it especially as you say nearing end of month!

Will update you tomorrow - may well be my dad decides that he doesn't like the driving experience of the Picasso!

Who knows!
Motorpoint vs dealer - comments appreciated - Falkirk Bairn
Cheers for that info FB. Going to take my dad to Motorpoint then the dealer
tomorrow and see who is giving better deal.

what was the outcome - Citroen / Motorpoint or nothing?
Believe it or not, at this stage it is nothing!

Similar to a separate thread on here recently, my dad has had some issues with his current car and being of the older genration, doesn't want to trade it in with a known fault so he is giving his mechanic one last chance of fixing it. Also the weather that day didn't help persuade a 76 year old man to go out car hunting for the day!

Car is going into garage beginning of next week and then depending on the outcome there will direct his next move!

Personally speaking, and taking your comments on board FB, I think he may be in a better bargaining position to go in the last few days of this month (if the cars are still available that is!).