Rain leak into boot - Round The Bend
I posted this on the Technical Forum but did n't attract any replies. Not necessarily limited to the Mondeo. Wonder if anyone could give me a steer here as the carpet is beginning to pong! Especially interested in any ideas as to the best way of sealing the leak.

"The boot in the mondy has started letting in water after heavy rain. Seems to be coming in from the top (i.e. not splashed up from below) and I'm suspecting that the wiring grommet to the left of the boot rim may have perished allowing rainwater into the boot..

Has anyone had any experience of this? Also, if it is the grommet - what is the best/cheapest way to seal it?"
Rain leak into boot - cheddar
Not sure waht you mean by: "the wiring grommet to the left of the boot rim"

Cant really help though around the lights is a common leak source on many cars, perhaps take the plastic trim off from behind the lights, hose the car (with the boot shut!) and then open the boot and feel around the light unit.
Rain leak into boot - Saltrampen
I Have a mark 3 and did have a leak.
Rubber seal around hatch was not quite sealing in top left hand corner as you open the hatch. Water was dribbling down the inside of the rubber, then into the black plastic parcel shelf surround thing, then out of that on to the carpet on the LHS.
If it was the wiring grommet, your top trim and parcel shelf would be wet.
Only happened in heavy rain, when seals were deluged with water.

Cure was to part pull off rubber trim and put back on (slightly higher)..vaselined it as well to give a slightly better seal.

If you have a spare, take it out and check for water underneath....lots of it ends up there...

If not this sitting in the rear seat with parcel shelf removed during a heavy rainstorm may reveal the problem...

If it is the grommet, then vaseline/silicone grease (both kind to rubber) it if that stops it, then use sealant, but try to source a non acidic type if possible, otherwise it may promote rust.

Rain leak into boot - Billy Whizz
Doesn't vaseline cause rubber to perish? I remember from my youth being told not to use vaseline with rubber johnnies :-)
Rain leak into boot - Saltrampen
Billy too much on thin rubber makes it crinkle slightly, probably because the rubber swells slightly and is only being applied on one side. But have used it for many years on
thicker rubber parts with no problem. Oil and other greases can cause it to perish.
But Silicone grease (which says safe for rubber on side of tin) is an alternative if you are worried.
The other point is are these seals actually rubber or synthetic rubber or Neoprene based?

Rain leak into boot - Round The Bend
Thanks guys. I'll give Saltrampen's advice a try.
Rain leak into boot - Falkirk Bairn
Sprinkle talcum powder around the seal - then turn on the hsoe at a high pressure - lift the lid and see where the talc has started tp run.....................

Then pull off trim at that point and re-apply it with/without vaseline.
Rain leak into back seat - blay
I found out yesterday that water was leaking to the back seat from the brake light on the back mirror. Whats is happening any help please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 12:52

Rain leak into back seat - Carse
Blay,

"brake light on the back mirror"!!! I think you need to be more accurate and specific.

Did you mean brakelight on the back WINDOW? if so can you provide more details.

Carse

{corrected spelling of brake and brakelight}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 12:53

Yes back window
Water was leaking through the side of the back window
Rain leak into back seat - Saltrampen
Blay
If it is a mondeo, then it is likely to be the rear windscreen wash, either blocked and dribbling (can go into the high level brakelight) or the seal to the rear wash is loose or worn and rainwater is entering.
Check it out - best option buy a new one or reconnect loose tubing.
- S
Rain leak into back seat - Stuartli
>>then it is likely to be the rear windscreen wash, >>

This was exactly the case with my best mate's Mondeo. As he was just about to PX the car, he never did find out the actual cause, but it was definitely coming from the rear windscreen wash/wiper. Could have been a damaged or loose tubing feeding the wiper.
Rain leak into boot - Leif
Oddly enough I have the same issue with a Ford Ka, and discovered it after I kept having to clear ice from the inside of the windscreen. I was twice shunted in 6 months, and thought I had got away with no damage.

You leak could also be from around the rear window.

One word of advice. Until you have fixed the leak, remove the carpet from the boot, otherwise it acts as a wick, allowing the water to evaporate more rapidly and condense on other interior surfaces, potentially causing damage.

I am told there are glues which seep in to cracks, seeking out the path of the leak. I might also try rubber cement as a sealant.
Rain leak into boot - Enoughalready
There is/was a product called Dum Dum. Black gooey sticky stuff that never sets and is the car industries version of Plumber Mait. Ideal for filling holes (and sometimes stopping squeaks).
Rain leak into boot - L'escargot
I had a boot leak (admittedly not in a Mondeo) which I found myself but which completely foxed the dealer. The rear panel of the boot was constructed from two panels with the lower panel being outermost. The top edge of the lower panel provided a ledge for rain to collect on and find it's way into the boot via an incomplete/inadequate sealant bead inside the boot. The top edge was hidden behind the bumper, so the cause was not obvious ~ well, not to the dealer anyway. Pulling away the carpet inside the boot soon revealed the problem.
Rain leak into boot - Billy Whizz
>>Pulling away the carpet inside the boot soon revealed the problem.
Duh!! My goodness I hope you don't have to rely on this dealer for regular servicing. What was the car?