Old Parking tickets on your new car - stuartl
I'm glad to say that this has never happened to me but having watched the highly entertaining Cops Cars Bailiff type programmes recently it made me think.

If I buy a secondhand car from a dealer or from a man on the street how do I know that there are no unpaid parking fines on the vehicle? I assume that any fines stay with the previous owner but what happens in the interim while you are waiting for the new V5 to come through especially if the previous owner is a little relaxed about sending the V5 into DVLA?
Old Parking tickets on your new car - mfarrow
If I buy a secondhand car from a dealer or from a man on the
street how do I know that there are no unpaid parking fines on the vehicle?

You don't
I assume that any fines stay with the previous owner but what happens in the
interim while you are waiting for the new V5 to come through especially if the
previous owner is a little relaxed about sending the V5 into DVLA?

Any fines are sent to him, it's his responsibility.

If you want to send a letter to the DVLA and tell them you are the new registered keeper.
Old Parking tickets on your new car - Dwight Van Driver
PCN's are down, by law, to the owner of the vehicle (who it is hoped will tap the driver responsible).

Owner of the vehicle at law:

"In determining, for the purposes of this Part of this Act, who was the owner of a vehicle at any time, it shall be presumed that the owner was the person in whose name the vehicle was at that time registered under the [1971 c. 10.] Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971."

Until such time as a new owner is recorded then it is down to them.

However LA will not proceed if you provide proof (receipt) that vehicle came into your possession AFTER the date of the issued ticket.

Which is why, in addition to V5 proceedure I always write a letter to DVLA to confirm.

dvd
Old Parking tickets on your new car - stuartl
What about the 'Bailiffs' who now seem to hang about with ANPR cameras and will remove your car if you dont pay what is owed?

What if you have not got proof of ID to show that you are 'Mr Innocent' who has just bought the car in good faith rather than 'Mr Couldn't Care Less' who sold the car to you knowing that tickets were unpaid?