The sting that hurts.. - Imagos
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7208911.stm

I feel i have particular interest in this story as this garage is just a few miles from where i live and i use it regularly...

My question is though what happens after the thieves have been stung? Could provoke violence towards garage staff members. Could seriously inflame the situation?

Thoughts?

Edited by Imagos {P} on 25/01/2008 at 22:18

The sting that hurts.. - bathtub tom
Considering the IQ of the 'average' forecourt attendant, I think they could be paying a good deal of compensation to 'honest' motorists.
The sting that hurts.. - Westpig
wholly unnecessary IMO.... if you required drivers to pre-pay, then they couldn't drive off without paying........they do it in the States, so why not here?...most people have cards of some sort, so you wouldn't have the inconvenience of not knowing how much to pre-pay....just shove your card in the machine and you're off and running

if there is a genuine problem e.g. a driver has forgotten their wallet or their card won't work, i can foresee the situation where the drawbridge comes down and you're not allowed out of the forecourt, despite the fact it can be dealt with by leaving a name and address etc.. ( i do appreciate some people lie through their teeth, but all that is needed is some common sense, not a 'stick to the rules at all costs mentality')
The sting that hurts.. - L'escargot
Considering the IQ of the 'average' forecourt attendant .......

It would be interesting to know forecourt attendants' opinions of the IQ of the 'average' person in your particular profession!
The sting that hurts.. - gordonbennet
I don't blame the fuel stations taking some action about this problem.

Of course our governments could help in this situation (which they have helped create by making the the criminal into the victim somehow), by crediting the tax part of the fuel stolen back to the station involved, at least then the station would only have lost 25% of the total pump price nicked .

Sorry i just slipped into a parallel universe with the above sentence, back in reality now.

The vast majority of us pay our way, work our socks off and i for one don't want to see any business (or individual for that matter) accepting that thefts like this can ever be acceptable.

On the iq subject me being a thicko/scum of the earth average lorry driver am very pleased to have a similar one to most other people who work for a living, forecourt attendents included.
The sting that hurts.. - Pugugly {P}
I'd like to see where this sits in Criminal Law (S1 Criminal Damage Act 1971 where the phrases "lawful authority" and "reasonable excuse" are included. The words actually mean something.