2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - willyb
Hello, Help please

Just recently bought the car and whilst its still under dealer warranty would like advice on a noise I can best describe as a heavy dud dud dud. This only occurs when first starting the car from cold and when taking up the drive i.e. letting out the clutch which is why I did not notice it during the test drive.

Yes I know I should have been the one who started it from cold but I 've already beat myself up over that.

There's no noise when gently blipping the throttle after it starts: its only when try to get the car moving and only initially.

Any suggestions welcome I'd rather go back to the dealer with some idea - pretty sure he'll try a fob off.

many thanks

2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - Screwloose

Noises are always difficult to grasp in print; but could this be a single-cylinder misfire?

Dual-mass flywheel problems can cause odd temp-related noises and vibrations too; can you feel it thudding back through the clutch pedal?.
Hi,
Doesn't feel like misfire revs ok when first started albeit not under any load. Only noticable briefly and on initial drive off wouldn't say I feel it more hear it. Car has done 33k. BTW would you know if is this a PD engine and the one that needs special oil hanbook doesn't help?

thanks
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - Pugugly {P}
The coding for the engine type etc is on the inside of the Service book (a computer generated self adhesive label), if that's missing there is a label in the spare wheel well as well (well well)
These labels can be used to decode the engine type and oil spec via the manual. It will also tell you whether the car needs servicing on the longlife or mileage based.

2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - Grease_monkey
Look for a PR number with QC1 on it. That will be on that label with the list of same length PR numbers toward the bottom of the label.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - Pugugly {P}
BTW we own two VAG cars now. V/W service from a national dealer from the time we bought the car to its recent first service has been abysmal. I have dealt with Land Rover, Ford, Vauxhall, BMW in the recent past and VW so far cannot hold a candle to them. I would look to go outside the dealer network as soon as the warranty has finished. Not tried Skoda yet !
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - Roly93
BTW would you know if is this a PD engine and
the one that needs special oil hanbook doesn't help?

If it is a 2.0 TDI it MUST be a PD engine, and would need 505 spec oil for fixed servicing or 507 spec oil for longlife servicing.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - 659FBE
PLEASE don't shorten VAG oil specification codes. There is a 505.00 and a 505.01 code and they're not the same - by miles.

The correct oil specification codes for PD engines are 505.01 (fixed interval servicing) and 506.01 or 507.00 for variable servicing intervals. 506.01 is being superceded by 507.00 which must be used when a DPF is fitted.

I wonder how many engines VAG have effectively wrecked by letting these engineering codes loose on the public.

2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - quizman
>>>I wonder how many engines VAG have effectively wrecked by letting these >>>engineering codes loose on the public.

I've just bought a Golf PDI for my wife. There is nothing under the bonnet to tell you what oil to use. In the handbook you have to search through to find the page which tells you to use 507 if you have a DFF (whatever that is) or 506.01.

With all the troubles with the VW spec oils, wouldn't you think that they would put a sticker in the engine bay to tell you what oil to use?

They still don't put longwave on the radio, no more test match special for me.

Two weeks ownership and no breakdowns yet, fingers crossed.

2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - nortones2
I find I have to search through manuals to find the page for any oil requirement. First point of contact. The problem comes at service when dealers are sloppy about the engineering codes.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - pd
Difficult to say what the noise is without further description. The engine is almost certainly the 138bhp (badged 140) 2.0 16v twin cam PD unit used in all manner of VAG cars since 2004.

It is, IMO, a bit of a noisy grumbly lump prone to a bit of unevenness and noise when cold but yours sound more clutch related.

thanks to all for the information-i.m pretty sure its not an engine noise and only occurs when the clutch is first released from a cold start. Suggestions are could be the dual mass flywheel, we.ll see what my local garage thinks they,re good.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - craig-pd130
I'd say the dual mass flywheel is likely, too. They're not a big achilles heel but they have been known to fail.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - 547HEW
re "They still don't put longwave on the radio, no more test match special for me"

I understand this has been the case for German car radios since re-introduction post war. They were only allowed to have local VHF radio services, as it was considered unwise to allow them mass broadcast facilities at that time. This was why their domestic VHF radios were so good. I guess eventually they went to Medium Wave, but they never needed Long Wave propogation.

I would love to know the true facts - I got this rather second hand many years ago.
2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - quizman
I think that Mercs and Bmws have got longwave.
My big Skoda (Passat B5.5 clone) can get LW.

Edited by 659FBE on 30/01/2008 at 17:46

2004 2.0TDI- noise issue - pinkpanther_75
My big Skoda (Passat B5.5 clone) can get LW.

as can my Roomster and the 2 Octavias I have previously owned. If you switch to AM and tune below the minimum frequency for MW (around 600) it swops to LW.

Edited by Seant on 30/01/2008 at 23:33

The OE fit Gamma in my 2001MY Golf goes down to about 580 Hz, then returns to 1600 Hz. LW frequencies definitely not available on this set!
kHz I hope.

Absolutely! - bit of late night......