306 Air Con - Fullchat
One for Dave N but I've lost your e.mail address.
This time last year air con gave up the ghost due to leaking pipes to and from the compressor ( common 306 problem! ). When I
eventully got the pipes from Peugeot summer was nearly over. Pipes fitted and re gassed. Worked beautifully.

Have run system every week as recommended. Now have noticed that there is a gushing sound from behind the dash. Compressor is kicking in but system is not getting cold.

I'm sumising a leak but despite being filled with the dyed gas cannot find any indication of a leak from any of the pipes around the engine compartment. Have also checked the radiator type thingy (can't remember its official name !) infront of the radiator as best as possible in situ as I recall you mentioned that is was a weak point. Appears OK.

Any ideas??? If it is the 'radiator type thingy' what is an approx cost of a replacement?

Andrew.
306 Air Con - Dave N
Hi Andrew, you might not see the dye with the naked eye, but possibly with an ultra violet lamp.

Give all the joints that got disturbed a very careful look for any damp or dirty patches, as it's possible that an o ring hasn't sealed properly. It only takes a hair or piece of fluff across the seal for it to leak. Especially take a look at the joint just behind the engine mount on the drivers side inner wing. This type of joint were never very good when new, so won't be any better once disturbed. Did you replace both pipes? If not, it's possible the other one is now leaking. If my memory is correct, you only had a leak on the one that goes back along the inner wing, but there's another that goes across from the compressor and up to the condenser on the passenger side.

Also look at where the pipes go into the condenser, especially on the drivers side. It's a sod to get a good look at though.

Let me know about the other pipe.
306 Air Con - Fullchat
Dave N

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes both pipes were replaced. Has the dye an ultra violet dye in it?

Andrew.
306 Air Con - Dave N
Yes, it is ultra violet, and it's only in really big leaks that you can see it with the naked eye.
306 Air Con - David Lacey
We use a dye on a/c systems when no gas is present and it works really well! You can find pinhole leaks with the ultraviolet dye/light/goggles and the resulting hole is microscopic! Did one last week and had to use a magnifying glass to view the hole..

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
306 Air Con - Fullchat

Dave.

Re our previous correspondence. Have examined all the engine bay pipes with a UV light. Can only find an area about the size and shape of a 1p in the middle of the rubber part of the pipe running from the compressor to the condenser on the passenger side. There are no damp/greasy patches and to the naked eye there is a slight white discolouration which flouresces with the UV light.

Have I found the spot do you think???????

The pipe was new last August and was fitted and the system re-gassed at the end of August.

Regards

Andrew.

306 Air Con - David Lacey
Usually there is no mistaking the dye, when viewed using suitable goggles and a UV lamp

Perhaps regas the system and see what happens, at a slightly higher operating pressure?

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
306 Air Con - Dave N
Andrew, seems a bit strange having a leak in the middle of the rubber section, unless it rubs on something. The other thing to watch out for, is that some dye may have been spilled there, plus other things (like antifreeze) sometimes show up under the lamp.

Did you inspect the expansion valve, where the pipes disappear into the bulkhead, and around the compressor shaft seal? There is always the bottom of the condenser where the pipes go in, and this can be hard to see as it sits on top of the crossmember and can't be seen from below or in front.

Other option is to pressurize the system with dry nitrogen to about 10 bar and put some bubble spray on that hose, whilst giving it a good twist and bend, to see if any bubbles appear.

Dye doesn't always come out though! As it gets carried by the oil in the system, it relies on the oil leaking out to carry the dye, and in theory, if the leak is very small and only allows gas molecules (which are smaller) and not oil to pass, then you'll be looking for dye till the cows come home. One things for sure, it must have leaked out some place, so keep looking.

As per Dr Dave, if you can't find anything, get it gassed again, and take it back after a couple of weeks, when there is still something in the system, and leak check it then. The one place you can't easily check is the evaporator, but these only normally go on a select few cars, and so far, 306's aren't one of them.