97 estate, wet interior drivers side - spin dizzy
the car fills with water on the drivers side both front and rear in heavy rain. you do not have to drive the car for it to fill with water. it lets in so much water that the footwells have puddles in them. any ideas what is wrong?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/01/2008 at 18:18

Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - Dynamic Dave
Lift bonnet and check the drain for the scuttle area (between the windscreen & firewall) isn't blocked up with old leaves.
Also, does it have a sunroof fitted?
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - spin dizzy
Yes it does have a sun roof

When you get in the car after it has been raining it is only wet at the bottom of the car. No water is running down the pillars or windows. The carpet in the drivers foortwell is dry where it goes under the pedals.

I have checked the scuttle and there appears to be no leaves or debris there.

There is so much water comming in it leaves puddles on the carpet.
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - piston power
Check drain holes in sunroof are not blocked use a metal coat hanger or similar to poke the drain probably full of crud of the last 10yrs.. good luck
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - craneboy
Have you checked the drivers side door seals? Particularly at the bottom. Also check for any corrosion on the sill. water may be coming in from there.
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - spin dizzy
Thanks for the tips
I have tried the scuttle, water runs freely out of the bottom of the car
I have tried the sun roof drains and water runs freely out of the bottom of the car
I have tried the door drains and they are clear.
How do I check the door seals, there is no visible damage.
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - Dynamic Dave
One other sugestion is to take off the door trim and check the plastic membrane behind it is intact.
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - craneboy
Sounds a bit daft, but you could try lifting the carpet up and sitting inside while someone pours water on the car with a hosepipe or watering can. You may be able to see where the water is trickling in from. Its just possible that water may be getting channelled somehow (maybe corroded drainage channels) down through the bulkhead and in through the pedel apertures.
Astra F Estate 1997, wet interior drivers side - Daveyboy
I have got a X reg Astra estate which is letting in water into the drivers side front well.

I have tried a water hose over the doors and windscreen water drains away ok no leaks on the interior, the only thing I did notice was water was draining down the centre windscreen wiper shaft but not on the outer one should this happen?

I have spoken to other people two have said there problem was the windscreen seal bodywork was rusty and was letting water in the other said the seal had gone.