Mondoe Starter - Richard
I have a 96 Mondeo 1.8 petrol which sometimes will not start. By this I mean when the ignition switch is turned nothing happens. Turning off and trying again will usually result in it starting. All that can be heard when it does not start is a loud click from under the bonnet. This fault will sometimes occur a few times in a week and then disappear for months, and then reappear. The battery is ok as it starts fine in cold weather. Is this likely to be the solenoid and can this be replaced separately to the starter. Is this a common problem with Mondeos?
Re: Mondoe Starter - Andrew Bairsto
Sounds like a startermotor problem, the click you here is the starter solonoid engaging ,I would say a replacement startermotor
is required.One other possibility is the high tension starter leads are loose or are making a bad connection.
regards Andy
Re: Mondoe Starter - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Spot on Andrew. Very common problem. Not easy to replace the starter ideally needs a ramp. Before disconnecting the battery use a memory saver in the cigar lighter to preserve the radio codes and the memory in the ECU.
Re: Mondoe Starter - Richard
Thanks for the info. Where can I get the memory saver from and what sort of price are they?
Local accessory shop. It is a 9v radio battery with a cigar lighter plug that maintains sufficient potential in the vehicle electrics to keep memories alive without the risk of shorting out the vehicles battery. It isnt absolutely essential but will save having to reprogramme the radio and may avoid any problem you might have encountered with the ECU on the car having to "relearn" its' basic settings once the work is completed.
Re: Mondoe Starter - Andrew Scott
Andy

I read your messages with interest, ( I am only an ameteur) but if it is preferable to use to use a memory to preserve the basic settings on a car fitted
with an ECU, that implies to me that any person who completely flattens their battery etc will need not only a new battery but for their car's ECU to be reprogrammed, surely not.

I haven't noticed any warnings in the Haynes manuals for my Fiesta Zetec or Astra. I puzzled?

Andrew
Re: Mondoe Starter - John Kenyon
Andrew Scott wrote:
>
> Andy
>
> I read your messages with interest, ( I am only an ameteur)
> but if it is preferable to use to use a memory to preserve
> the basic settings on a car fitted
> with an ECU, that implies to me that any person who
> completely flattens their battery etc will need not only a
> new battery but for their car's ECU to be reprogrammed,
> surely not.
>
> I haven't noticed any warnings in the Haynes manuals for my
> Fiesta Zetec or Astra. I puzzled?

The following isn't neccessarily true for all ECU's - your mileage
may vary...

The ECU memory contains information that the ECU has learned
about the engine - rather than relying completely on a "standard" map of
information it will start off with a standard map and then tweak the
values for itself.

If the ECU memory is wiped then the default values will get loaded in
and you'll probably find that the engine may perform differently for
a while as the ECU "relearns" the characteristics of the engine, hence
the incentive to retain the memory contents.

/john
Re: Mondoe Starter - John Slaughter
John

If I recall correctly Ford even make this comment about ECU 're-education' in their handbooks.

Regards

john
Most ECUs will relearn quite quickly when restarted/powered up. One of the most troublesome were the Rover 820's. When battery went flat they would simply not restart until a fresh battery or ump leads fitted and then left quietly for about 20 mins or so to "remember" the basic settings, then a half hour run would have them back up to speed. Modern cars with adaptive learning in the ECU are the ones i worry about most when disconnecting batteries as potentially they could need quite a bit of driving to relearn their setting. As for Mr. Turpin working on a live system I would respectfully warn him to watch out for exploding airbags and seat belt pretensioners as he arcs the main battery feeds to earth!! (joke)
Re: Mondoe Starter - Cliff Pope
The live feed wire probably doesn't just stop at the starter motor. Some cars have a live terminal post on the alternator too, not just a shrouded plug, so all the comments above would apply to replacing alternators too.
Re: Mondoe Starter - David Lacey
We fit lots of starter motors to Mondeos, made much easier by use of a ramp
Re: Mondoe Starter - richard turpin
Enthusiastic safety advice. There is no point in disconnecting the battery just to change a starter motor, unless someone turns the key while you are doing it. Why not just hide the key, or put it in your pocket. Besides, it could just be the solenoid as you originally suggested. Nobody has answered your question. Perhaps look in a Haynes manual. Also some cars have a relay between the key and solenoid. I would leave it till it breaks completely. At least you won't waste time and money changing the wrong bit on spec.
Mondeo Starting Fault - D J Woollard
Sorry Richard T but the advice to disconnect the battery is sound. You could mail the key to your auntie in Australia but it wouldn't negate the fact that the main battery - starter lead is permanently live.
I honed my arc welding skills in youthful days gone (long!) by removing / replacing the troublesome starters on my first cars and catching the spanner used to undo the main feed cable on the engine or body.
The fact that a loud click is heard as the ign key is moved to the start position means it will most likely be the complete starter needed.....unless it is a connection problem where the main cable attaches to the starter, and this can easily (with long arms) be cleaned up first to check.
I have just replaced the starter on a Granada with exactly the same symptoms and it cured the fault. I was also called out last week to a diesel Espace with similar symptoms, but with no click. My mind raced over possible expensive problems with the immobiliser but it was simply a poor contact on the ign wire to starter motor terminal. Quick clean up and tighten was all that it needed.
David
Re: Mondeo Starting Fault - Richard
Thanks to all for their comments. I'll try cleaning/tightening the connections and see what happens first.