04 1.9 - Turbo whistle. - The Melting Snowman
Is it normal for a turbo to whistle more in the colder weather? I have noticed it's definitely noisier recently, like a feint camping kettle sort of noise. The oil level is correct and within the 18000 mile oil change interval.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/01/2008 at 22:15

Turbo whistle 1.9 2004 - Screwloose

Are you sure that it's not the alternator pulley? They've got a one-way clutch in them and can make a turbo-like sound, particularly as you lift off.
Turbo whistle 1.9 2004 - DP
I can't say I've noticed ours being any noisier than normal. The turbo is quite audible from outside the car or when driving with the window down, but you can't hear it inside the car with the windows shut. It's a very high pitched whistle, accompanied by the odd distant sigh from the wastegate on gearchanges or lifting (I really like that bit)

Consider halving the oil change interval to 9k. I've done this based on unanimous recommendation from the professionals. 18k is a lot to ask of oil in a relatively high output turbodiesel engine, and turbochargers like clean oil (of the right grade and spec of course).

Cheers
DP
Turbo whistle 1.9 2004 - The Melting Snowman
Wifey took it in today and it was a small split in an air hose. Intercooler hose or something she said. Anyway normal service is resumed, engine is back to normal refinement and seems much more lively. I suspect it had been split for a while but just getting progressively worse until I noticed it. I had forgotten how punchy this engine can be, it's one of my favorite diesels.

It's due its 36000 mile service in about a month so the oil will be changed then. We plan to trade it in soon as we want either a Modus or new Clio next.

Thanks for the help

TMS