2001 2.2 - Timing Chain Gone For The 2nd Time - wannabgeek
Hi Guys badly need some help if possible!Heres my story: I purchased my 2001 X reg 2.2 CD auto [engine No: 11101966] on jan 03, it had FDSH 1 owner and a low milage of 36000 miles, but after only 5 months the timing chain went on me so it was taken to vauxhall who seemed to be astonished, saying 'it was Rare for timing chains to go' (LOL) but Luckily enough it was still under warranty so work was done free of charge.....But heres the problem. Its now 3 years on the Damn thing has gone yet again and vauxhall will not take any blame and are wanting over £2000 to fix it! (GULP) So what i need to know if possible Guys, are vauxhall at fault here? I have since read about the Timing chain problems on z2.2se engines and the replacement oil lube thingy (hex nut) and now i am thinking maybe vauxhall forgot to replace/udate some parts when they originally fixed the timing chain??.. Or do you think it would have gone again after only 30K and my car has always been serviced regulary by either Vauxhall or a Ford garage. Is it worth ringing up head office/customer supportor even taking this further with a solicitor as this should not happen!! Many thanks EDIT: I have since read a thread on the z22se forums and some say the chain will be covered for 60k or 6 years whichever comes first. True or False?

{couple of small edits to generalise names of garages, rather than specifically name them. DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2008 at 19:03

TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - *Gongfarmer*
It's well worth going to Vauxhall customer service. I wrote to them when the timing belt rollers on our Vectra failed just out of warranty and got a 75% refund. Emphasise that you have been a loyal customer, your extreme disappointment in the quality of their product etc.
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - ChicksFan
Perhaps Vauxhall wouldn't regard having the car serviced at a FORD dealer as loyalty. Surely they would expect ALL the servicing to have been carried out by a Vauxhall garage if they were to consider goodwill.

Having gone elsewhere for servicing I doubt that Vauxhall will be happy.
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - cheddar
Having gone elsewhere for servicing I doubt that Vauxhall will be happy.

Generally I agree though whether the job was done correctly before (modded lube to chain) is not effected by where it is serviced and proving that it was serviced regularly by a reputable garage is of value.
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - injection doc
There was an issue with chains & vauxhall were doing them out of the warranty period as well. I think you need to go higher up the chain! ( oops sorry ) . you need to get hold of the tech bulliten to throw at someone from vauxhall. Keep looking on vauxhall forums.
Good luck
Doc
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - Dynamic Dave
Keep looking on vauxhall forums.

There is quite an exhaustive list of links over on www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk in the Vectra subforum. 2nd or 3rd sticky message down, IIRC. Lots of useful advice there, although as already mentioned having the car serviced by someone other than Vauxhall won't help your cause.

Another good place to look is over on www.z22se.co.uk/forum/index.php
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - wannabgeek
Thanks very much for your kind replys guys!
I hope it does not come down to where i had the car serviced, i mean Ford is still better than a local unnamed garage (some would disagree-lol)

Doc what do you mean by the above post 'tech bulliten'?
I am also on the vx owners / z22se forum so hopefully something will come good soon. I will keep you all posted as to my progress but would appreciate it if there is anyone else who may be able to help me even if it is minimal of info! Thanks>>
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Doc what do you mean by the above post 'tech bulliten'?

Vauxhall issue technical service bulletins to their dealers, outlining 'bug fixes' for want of a better phrase, describing specific problems that have occured in service and their remedy. Unfortunately I think my TIS2000 service disks are too old to cover this issue, but I'll chekc this evening.
TIMING CHAIN GONE FOR THE 2nd TIME {Xreg-2001 2.2} - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall issue technical service bulletins to their dealers ....

The only one that I am aware of is Field Remedy: 1532, which is mentioned in detail on www.z22se.co.uk

www.z22se.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31316