1999 2.0 HDi - rattling sound - gollom
Hi,
Wonder if you could help, I have a 1999 2.0 hdi couple of weeks ago when i first started the car up in the morning i was getting a strange noise from my engine. I traced this to what i belived to be the fan belt and pulleys as when i sprayed the belt and runners with wd40 everything went quite. So i purchased a fan belt kit which consisted of a fan belt, a roller and a adjuster come roller.I had it fitted at a local garage and when i picked the car up it was fine however on starting the car the next morning the noise although quiter was there for about 5 mins and then stopped.The noise will stop as soon as i spray wd40 on the fan belt and that area. I can see the belt and pulleys are new and when i went back to speak to the garage they said there was another wheel down low that is ribber mounted and it could be that one that is causeing the noise. I would be grateful for any advice,
thank you

{year and engine details added, as per the requests to do so!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2008 at 12:28

rattling sound - RichardW
"they said there was another wheel down low that is ribber mounted and it could be that one that is causeing the noise"

That'll be the crank pulley then - well known failure on HDi engines - fix it before it disintegrates and takes the cambelt out. Not too expensive from GSF car parts, and only 1/2 hour to fit.
rattling sound - gollom
RichardW,
Thank you for your help, been back to my garage and they agree with you. Im going to order the crank pulley from GSF and the garage will fit it for me. Once again Thank you.
snipquote!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/01/2008 at 18:36

rattling sound - plackett1989
Same sound, same year, same diagnosis from garage, differnt person.
Just wondering what the estimate for the whole lot is in time and money (thats the whole lot mentioned in this post)...