1996 1.8 Faulty Electronic Immobiliser - AudiA4driver
Hi, I have a Audi A4 1996, about a month ago my electronic immobiliser symbol came on now & then while mobile! And when I try to start it in the morning it cuts out but on the third attempt it starts. I have now noticed if I wait for the symbol to stop flashing it will start. Also when I pull my key out of the ignition it doesn't click and the interior light does not come on and the alarm won?t set. if there is a click the light comes on the alarm sets and the car will start ok next time. I have tried the spare key but no difference.

Edited by AudiA4driver on 18/01/2008 at 23:21

1996 1.8 Faulty Electronic Immobiliser - Screwloose

Sounds like you have an ignition switch problem; the "key inserted" contact isn't working correctly. Try a smidgeon of WD40 on the lock barrel - not oil.
1996 1.8 Faulty Electronic Immobiliser - adverse camber
the ignition switch is a problem on these. It can also fail leaving you unable to get the key in or out. You may also find that sidelights and dash lights play up.

When we replaced ours there was a huge backlog (also at skoda/vw), we got one by going through the ETKA system finding kits that included it (a LHD switch and steering lock for an A100 held by a dealer in Leeds who agreed that he'd never manage to shift the kit). My local VW indy place said they had replace lots but the non-oem ones they had tried were rubbish, they told me to source from VW/Audi.
Thanks for the help

I have put WD-40 in the lock barrel. I have tried 10 times and the interior light comes on and the click when I pull the key out every time. And the alarm sets OK.

Will I have to replace the switch.

If so will I have a new set of keys and my immobiliser reset. Or is that for a new barrel

Thanks again..
1996 1.8 Faulty Electronic Immobiliser - Screwloose

New locks and keys are a re-coding nightmare; so if WD worked, best to suck it and see.
Thanks screwloose

I will give it a week or three and go from there.
1996 1.8 Faulty Electronic Immobiliser - adverse camber
sounds like you're OK.

The ignition switch I mention is the electrical switch not the key bit. Its a white plastic unit on the bottom of the key barrel. You need to remove the barrel to fit it but dont need new key/code
Thanks adverse camber i will give it a week or so if no joy i will renew the switch.