L plates forever on 125cc bike??? - Richard Turpin
Traffic is now getting so bad that I want a bike to get to work. I have had a car licence since 1967 which says it's a provisional up to 125 cc. If I use it with L plates, (and no passenger)can I drive it forever, or has the law changed?
L plates forever on 125cc bike??? - Harmattan
The answer is no, you can't ride a 125cc only a 50cc moped, and yes, the law has changed. The following was filched from a website a year or two ago but I have unfortunately lost the URL.

David

The Law

At seventeen and over anyone can apply for a provisional motorcycle licence, but the licence is not valid without a Compulsory Basic Training certificate and it only allows you to ride machines up to 125cc with a maximum of 15bhp.

A full car licence automatically counts as a provisional motorcycle licence, but you still need to do CBT for it to be valid. A full car licence also enables you to ride a 50cc moped without L-plates or any training. Sixteen-year-olds may also ride mopeds, but must first take CBT.

A provisional motorcycle licence is only valid for 2 years - if you do not pass your full test within that time a mandatory one-year ban comes into effect. The theory test must be completed before the practical test.

21 years and over can do Direct Access Training for an unrestricted licence. Under 21 years must undergo a two year 33bhp restriction on passing.

Your Licence

At age 16 your provisional licence enables you to ride a moped (49cc) with "L" plates but must be validated by a C.B.T. Certificate.

At age 17 or above your provisional licence enables you to move up to a motorcycle not exceeding 125cc providing you have category "A" (motorcycle entitlement) with "L" plates but must be validated by a C.B.T. Certificate.

If you have a provisional licence and wish to take the full motorcycle test you must first sit the theory test.

Who can ride what ...

A 49cc moped can be driven by a 16 year old upwards on a provisional motorcycle licence on 'L' plates with CBT training OR by a full car licence holder (without 'L' plates) and can take a passenger.

50cc-125cc bikes can be ridden with a provisional motorcycle licence or car licence by a 17 year old upwards with CBT training and 'L' plates.

L plates forever on 125cc bike??? - BrianW
If you passed your car test before a certain date, you can use it as a provisional for an unlimited time provided you take the CBT every two years.
I am not dure of the cut-off date but with 1967 I am sure you are within the scheme ( SHMBO pased hers around that date and is covered ).
Obviously, if you can do the light bike test it is the better option, but finding the time to do that is the problem in many cases.
L plates forever on 125cc bike??? - Pugugly {P}
Mr Turpin,
Have a look at www.begin-motocyling.co.uk, very good site full of useful info including the, now very complex, learner law.
L plates forever on 125cc bike??? - Richard Turpin
I have now checkedout this complicated legal quagmire. Both David and Brian correct. Up to 125 with CBT every 2 years. Thanks for your replies.
Pugugly, I have tried the site you suggest but it does not work. Thanks anyway.