1998 - whoomph noise from front - clio98
I've got a 9 year old Clio that makes a repetitive "whoomph" noise from the front, that sounds like the noise is coming from both wheel arches. Too low to the ground to sound like it is from the engine. The noise only starts up at high speeds (over about 50mph) and after driving for a while. 1st time 5 hrs, next 2.5 hrs, next 45 min. It stops again when the car slows down. I think the car is also making a really low pitched booming as well - at higher speeds when it isn't going whoopmh.

Anybody know what this could be? The garage was no help, as it doesn't make it from standing.
Thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 12/01/2008 at 20:04

1998 - whoomph noise from front - bathtub tom
Loose spoiler, wheel arch liner, under-engine tray?
I drive numerous Peugeot Partner vans, and they all suffer from the wheel arch liners being forced onto the tyre when going through puddles. The direction of rotation of the wheel then holds the liner in contact with the tyre - it makes a hell of a racket! It took me quite some time to figure out what was going on, 'cos as soon as you stop, the liner flips back into place.
1998 - whoomph noise from front - clio98
Thanks for the reply. The noise my car is making isn't continuous once it starts - it sounds like it's something happening once every rotation of something. Doonh....doonh.....doonh (maybe twice a second). Does that sound similar?
1998 - whoomph noise from front - RichardW
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.
1998 - whoomph noise from front - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Is it whoomph or doonh then?

At twice a second - I'd guess a damaged tyre- maybe a bulge on the inside.

A wheel bearing is usually making a continous drone at all speeds. Like me.
1998 - whoomph noise from front - Screwloose

Could still be an aero noise; one of the many flimsy bits of plastic nailed under cars these days.