00 Brakes coming on when reversing - pleiades
My 2000 Forester S has a tendency for the brakes to come on when reversing and have the impression may be worse uphill which not normally a big problem but seems to be happening more often. As soon as car goes forward they release so I presume it's something to do with the hillholder clutch mechanism which understand uses some sort of gravity sensor i.e. car facing upwards on slope retains sufficient brake pressure to hold car when footbrake released and clutch pedal depressed, however my logic says that reverse acceleration would be the same as facing downhill. Altho' I don't often use it the hillholder function seems to work as it's meant to.

Before I take it to the Subie dealer any bright ideas as to what might be going on will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 06/01/2008 at 10:48

00 Brakes coming on when reversing - Aprilia
Sounds like the hillholder. It come into effect if there is a 3-degree or more backward slope on the car. If you apply brakes as you are reversing then inertia has the same effect and the brakes will 'drag' slightly until the clutch is released. It uses a large ball bearing inside the HH valve body to 'hold' pressure in the brake circuit.

The hillholder is easily adjustable with a couple of spanners - easy to get at too. You want it to release just as the clutch gets to the 'half bite' point. The adjustment is quite sensitive, just go a quarter-turn at a time until it feels right. You can of course disconnect the hillholder if you wish.....
00 Brakes coming on when reversing - Peter D
May I ask if your forrester has a middle seat belt in the rear. My son has an 04 XT in the US and there is no seat belt. The floor pan shows signs that the US version only fit two rear belts and the middle captive peice is removed. Thanks Peter
Hi Peter D, yes mine, and I suppose all UK models, has a centre seatbelt with the inertia reel secured aft of the squab in the roof where the belt can retract to, the belt then threads under a handle on the top of the back rest with the usual two tongues on the belt and sockets on the rear squab.

Hope that helps
Peter D

I think all UK market Subarus would have a centre 3-point belt in 2004.
Thank you Aprila however the brakes seem to come on by themselves without me touching them. I notice it mainly when parking so maybe its pressure still in the line from the previous forward braking although at 65 (and a half) I thought I was past ultra speedy reverse manoeuvres!

I do have filed somewhere from a Forester forum an illustrated how-to-do it thread on adjustment so will give that a try.
00 Brakes coming on when reversing - gordonbennet
I think Aprilia is right here, when loading these onto trucks especially reversing on, it can be a real pain as you only have to lightly brush the brake pedal and the hillhold thingy applies itself.

Didn't know there may be an inclinometer involved as well, just to make life even better for us.

Can't wait till they put the hillhold onto vehicles with the automated manual box and the automatic handbrake. Maybe time to pack in the transporter work then.
The Subaru hillholder is a very clever but simple device. Extremely reliable. Simply a large ball bearing in a cylinder with a port at the back to the brake line. When the ball bearing rolls to the back it closes the port and 'holds' the pressure in the rear brake line. A pin (operated by a cable to the clutch pedal) unseats the ball bearing as the clutch is released. You just adjust the cable end to set the 'release' point on the clutch pedal stroke. To disable the HH you can just adjust the cable to be very stack (so the ball can never seat) or remove it altogether.

On brand new Subarus (or when new rear pads have been fiited) the HH feels a bit overenthusiastic. As the pads settle in they usually work fine. Just tweak the adjustment one way or another to suit your taste.

They are not exclsive to Subaru, I think they first appeared on US manual trans cars many many years ago (possibly Studebaker ??).

If the rear brakes are binding that's another matter - possibly a siezing rear caliper. The rear discs don't do much and calipers often sieze if the car is gently driven. Corrosion on the rear discs surface is a tell-tale sign.