Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - charlesb
On the way to work, I was driving in the outside lane, coming upto a Mercedes in the Middle Lane, who without notice decided to drift into my lane with no indication, causing me to slowup considerably. I chuckled to myself and thought - She should really get those indicators seen to. I mean an expensive car and the indicators don't work.

Now, my Wife occasionally winds me up when I forget to indicate on side roads close to home (not intentional). "We're going to have to take the car into the garage, the indicators are on the blink again" or something along those lines.

However, I make a point on the motorway of Always indicating my intentions, because at 70+mph I think it is courtesy to do so for the sake of other drivers.

I do notice that a lot of drivers don't do this, or it seems look in their mirrors before maneuvering, and tallying them up, they tend to fall into the following car owners:

1. Mercedes
2. BMW (Mainly X5)
3. Range Rover
4. Jaguar

Now, I've never visited any of the above showrooms, as I'm not interested in these marques.

However it does worry me that Indicators and Mirrors are either optional accessories, or their is an inherent fault

Should we contact the manufacturers and ask them about this common fault in their vehicles?
-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Coming Soon: Citroen C8 2.0 HDi SX
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Garethj
Actually it's possible to narrow down the exact fault and it doesn't just affect the marques you list. The problem is due to the nut behind the wheel
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - charlesb
Yes of course Gareth, but I was trying to be tactful and you're absolutely right, it just seems to be the more expensive marques that have the nut behind the wheel.
-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Coming Soon: Citroen C8 2.0 HDi SX
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - GroovyMucker
I think it's general. It used to be mainly a Ford problem.
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Dipstick
Could it be that you tend to watch for indicator failure on those marques rather than others, skewing the result?

I liked the idea of taking the car to the garage because they're on the blink, by the way, as clearly they are the only items that should be.

Maybe when lane keep assist becomes more widespread (not on my car but I've driven a couple that have it) the issue will die down anyway, as the steering wheel gets pulled back to a straight position if you fail to indicate, and car whistles at you annoyingly. After it's done it twice you tend to indicate every time!

Edited by Dipstick on 03/01/2008 at 12:40

Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - runboy
With the increase of side indicator repeaters being moved from the front wing to the door mirror, like with MB, Skoda etc could there be a chance that you don't see them indicating as quickly? If you are about 50% alongside you can't see the rear indicator.

Since I got my first car with door mirror repeater I have noticed an increase in driver pulling out onto roundabouts in front of me, despite me indicating. I do wonder if its just an increase in poor driving or are the other drivers looking at my wing to see if I'm inidcating right...
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - L'escargot
Having learned to drive before the invention of winkers I've conditioned myself into not slavishly relying on seeing other drivers using them to tell me what the other drivers are going to do. On a motorway all I generally need to do is to observe the speed and position of vehicles in front relative to the other traffic. Similarly, at a junction I don't need to see the winkers of another car winking for me to know which way it's going to turn ~ I can generally tell from their position on the road etc.
What a great word, M. Snail!

And you've proved there really are a lot of winkers on the road.

Edited by Dipstick on 03/01/2008 at 15:32

Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Oz
Use of indicators depends on who's there to see you use them (apparently).
A former employer sent staff on a 'defensive driving' course where you went out with a police driving instructor. With him on board, I duly arrived at a T junction where he asked me to turn left. I automatically turned on the left indicator.
He asked: "Why? There's no other driver in sight. Only signal when another relevant driver is there to see you signal your intentions."
So I asked: "What if another driver was in my blind spot" (or whatever).
He stuck to his guns.
That's one spin on it.

So I asked: "What if another driver was in my blind spot" (or whatever).

Blind spots only exist for drivers that don't look around sufficiently. Before changing lanes or overtaking etc. I always turn my body to look over my shoulder to double-check.
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - GroovyMucker
Only signal when another relevant driver is there to see you signal your intentions."

I've heard this before.

But: (i) you might have failed to spot someone - no-one's perfect - and it's always wise to have a fail-safe; (ii) what about pedestrians? most drivers seem to think they don't count; (iii) it does no harm.
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Pugugly {P}
Indicators have become design victims now. SWMBO's MKV Golf are the epitome of fashion over function the rears are near invisible when the driver is braking (quite likely during an indication) the fronts are buried in the headlamps and the repeaters are on the mirrors. The mirror mounted ones are in the wrong "plain" of vision for motorcyclists (any live ones don't trust indicators anyway) and consequently make things difficult at roundabouts. The Skoda's are a paragon of visibility front and rear with "chromed" repeaters on the wings. There is a study by some university (saw it on BBC website a few months ago) that score the Focus particularly badly on indicator design.
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - runboy
Pugugly - which Skoda model? My 2007 Octavia does not have wing repeaters but has them in the mirror. However the confusing thing is that being a top of the range model, it has a nice badge, roughly the same shape, size and location where wing repeaters would go.

Its a confusing world out there ;-)
Roomster...bog standard. Don't start me on how I miss the LED Indicators on my BMW !
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Lud
And when your winkers are on the blink, it means they are working properly.
No they're not.

Oh, hang on, yes that is right.

No, I mean...
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Dulwich Estate
Don't get me started about indicator repeaters in the door mirror. At first if you bumped your black door mirror you could probably fix it yourself and touch in with a bit of black paint. Then the body coloured ones made the whole thing a whole lot more expensive.

I dread the thought of the cost of sorting out a minor bump with this new fashion. At a guess main dealer prices probably start around £300 - £400.
Don't get me started about indicator repeaters in the door mirror. At first if you bumped your black door mirror you could probably fix it yourself and touch in with a bit of black paint. The manual adjuster could be a pain at times.

Then they were electrically adjustable, then they became heated.

Of course the body coloured ones made the whole thing a whole lot more expensive again.

Don't some cars of the temperature sensor in a door mirror too.

I dread the thought of the cost of sorting out a minor bump with this new fashion. At a guess main dealer prices probably start around £300 - £400.

Cars might be cheaper now but the dealer has got to get his money from somewhere. Where better than from some deliberately exposed part crammed full with as much equipment as possible.
Edit button??
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - mss1tw
Oh yeah :-S
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Avant
Winkers....my memory goes even further back to when they were called trafficators. They came out, semaphore-like, from what we would now call the B-pillars, so that only the front passenger could see the car in front indicating left. And if they got old and tired they sometimes didn't retract.

And before that - hand signals of course. There used to be a very clear and expressive one which the Highway Code dropped in the 1950s - stick your arm out and point the whole arm and hand (not just certain fingers!) upwards, meaning 'I am going to STOP'.
I could get both semaphores out on my original Moggi Thousand - sort of an early hazard light !
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - henry k
Citroen sorted out the position of rear indicators with the DS.
IIRC Austin 1100s had Lucas indicators forward on the side of the wings.
( I fitted the same Lucas indicators on my 1600E )
Triumph 2000 had useful ones on the top of the B pillar.

Since then side indicators have moved back behind the front wheel arch now back further to the door mirrors.
We also have those USA amber leftovers on corners of quite a few models while as already beeen mentioned front and rear indicators are often "lost" in the glare of other lights.
Progress?

At least we do not have the USA style flashing brake lights/ indicators.
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Kevin
>At least we do not have the USA style flashing brake lights/ indicators.

No, we have something worse. The VW rear LED units that PU mentioned are good example where the indicator becomes virtually invisible if the brake lights are illuminated at the same time.

If it's raining you can swap "virtually" for "completely" in the sentence above.

Personally, I think the old US style flashing rear brake lights is the smartest solution. It's much easier to see a single red lamp flashing on and off than a combination of red and flashing amber.

Kevin...
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - henry k
>>Personally, I think the old US style flashing rear brake lights is the smartest solution.
>>It's much easier to see a single red lamp flashing on and off than a combination of red and flashing amber.

IMO my Sierra had one of the best, earlier set ups and it was easy to see all the lights.
Brake lights next to the numberplate and away from the indicators. ( just like RR)
Side lights near the corners ( same bulbs for fog lights) and indicators on the outside.

Since then there have been a variety of lamp arrays climbing from the bumper to the roof which allows for even better separation ( if styling allows).
Indicators and/or mirrors - Optional or Failing? - Alby Back
My Father in law had a Morris 1000 with the semaphores long after the model was discontinued. His house has tall brick built gateposts. He eventually decided to buy up a reserve stock of indicators as he would regularly indicate left to turn on to his drive and remove an indicator on the gatepost ! He got quite adept at replacing them. To this day, approximately every couple of years, he manages to wipe the side of his car down that post. He genuinely seems to be quite safe otherwise, he just has too close a relationship with his gatepost !
stick your arm
out and point the whole arm and hand (not just certain fingers!) upwards meaning 'I
am going to STOP'.

My recollection is that the hand was held palm downwards, fingers pointing away from the car, and the arm and hand was moved up and down. This signal was used for slowing down as well as stopping. In point of fact arm/hand signals are still acceptable in place of indicators, and to reinforce indicator signals and stoplights, and for use by pedal cyclists and those in charge of horses. See "Download 'Signals to other road users' in the online Highway Code". tinyurl.com/2szmte
Provided that the actions of another driver don't make me have to violently change course or speed to avoid them, I'm not bothered whether they've signalled their intentions or not.
Indicator lights. - barney100
When it is dark and you are trying to see the orange indicator lights against the oncoming cars dipped headlights I find many are difficult to spot especially if there are several cars approaching. The repeaters on the door mirrors are a good idea and perhaps manufacturers should all put repeaters where they are easy to see at night.

tacked onto a recent post about the same thing

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/01/2008 at 15:56

indicator lights. - Collos25
Especially if they adjacent to each other.