Target price on model not even in showrooms yet! - catalyst2
What Car? has just published the prices for the new KIA Sportage, as well as their Target prices.

However, the car is not even in the showrooms yet (maybe today a few have arrived but that would be the first day then). I am interested in the new KIA Sportage and have been phoning 5 or 6 dealers in the last week, last satruday (4 days ago) they could not even tell me the price, let alone let me drive test it, the car was not even in the UK (unless some rare dealers had got their hands on one?).

How can What Car? have negociated a TP if the car was not available in the UK?

I am baffled.

Are these TP really reliable?

Does the TP make any difference if you'r epart-exxing a car? (can you still hold out of the TP as well as a decent part-ex price?)
Target price on model not even in showrooms yet! - oldtoffee
IMO the What Car target prices aren't negotiated they are at best estimated and skewed in favour of the manufacturer - check out their Ford Focus target prices and then check out drivethedeal dot co dot uk for the same car.

If you turn up with a px the dealer will try to mug you for the margin he might lose on the new car via an insulting offer on your px. You won't get the best of both worlds so it's best to sell your px privately and turn up as a "cash buyer" after calling several dealers for their best price.

If the new Sportage is brand new to the market and you can't even get a test drive then forget about meaningful discounts, they will be very hard to negotiate. You will be better off leaving it a month or three before you go back and "deal".

Target price on model not even in showrooms yet! - catalyst2
Thanks for that Neil.

What car? Target price: a load of cobblers? - catalyst2
Whatcar? magazine (tel: 0845 1232620) are unable to tell me where they got a Target Price for a new model that's just been released in the UK. Apparently, they can only put me in touch with a company called InchCap. After waiting for 10 minutes on the phone for InchCap, I gave up.

I was under the impression that WhatCar? themselves could point me in the right direction, not some other company I've never heard of.

However, in their magazine and on their website, they boast the following statement:

"The Target Price is a realistic discount that should be within your reach at a dealer near you. And if your dealer won't sell you a car for the price we quote, we'll find you one who will".

So, is there any truth is what they're saying?

What car? Target price: a load of cobblers? - GroovyMucker
I think it's Inchcape.

www.inchcape.co.uk/

Thanks GroovyMucker.

Shame that What Car? magazine does not feel the need to mention this until you phone them.

They make it sound like it's a straightforward business, ie you ask them where you can get their Target Price (which dealership), they tell you and that's the end of it. Not quite.
By the looks of it, you have to register with another company (Inchcape), probably jump through umpteen hoops, to maybe get a clear reply to a simple question. Doesn't look very user-friendly to me. I am disappointed with What Car?
What car? Target price: a load of cobblers? - SteVee
No one is going to be keen to sell to you at the target price - especially on a brand new model.
If they are keen - then the target price is too high :-)

I would forget about the price until you can get a test drive. You can then decide if the car is worth offering the target price - or even full list, if you really must have one.
Hmm, yes, makes me doubt validity of Target Price somehow (marketing gimmick?)

I know what you're saying about test driving, you are right, I will test drive it of course but I have test driven the current one (outgoing model, of which there are a few left to be had at less than £13,500) and thought it was great, so hopefully no nasty surprise with the new one, I don't mind WD anyhow (do not need 4WD at all).