HJ's Legacy 2.0R review - Aprilia
Just read HJ's review of the Subaru Legacy 2.0R and was somewhat surprised by the comment, "And it was pleasant to tool around town in with its flat four torque characteristics nicely matched to the 4-speed autobox"

Having driven both the manual and auto versions of the saloon 2.0R I would have to say that the manual is a much better car. The 2.0 engine is a lovely smooth unit, one of Subaru's best, but it does like to rev. and doesn't work too well with the autobox (unlike the older 2.5 engine). In the auto version the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points are quite high - the box feels like its hanging on to them for too long. Also the kickdown is a bit too slow.
The manual, on the other hand, is great to drive and 3rd gear is very flexible and almost seems to give better acceleration than 2nd.
Another thing to note is that automatic Subaru's use the 'Active Torque Split' 'box rather than the centre diff as used on the manuals. I think the normal torque split is 65/35 on the autos rather than the 50/50 of the manuals. This does give them slightly different handling characteristics, believe it or not.
HJ's Legacy 2.0R review - N111AOW
But it was actually a 2.5, as it said on the engine, not a 2.0. Subaru appear to have re-launched the 2.5 in the Legacy without publicising it - it's now listed on their website as 2008 model (I spotted this by seeing a pre-reg car advertised by a dealer yesterday)
HJ's Legacy 2.0R review - Ruperts Trooper
THe 4-speed auto uses 90:10 front:rear split normally varying to 50:50 through a viscous clutch - it's the 5-speed auto that has a more intelligent torque distribution system.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 02/01/2008 at 18:39

THe 4-speed auto uses 90:10 front:rear split normally varying to 50:50 through a viscous clutch
- it's the 5-speed auto that has a more intelligent torque distribution system.

The 90/10 distribution was used years ago. On recent models is 60/40 or thereabouts. There is no viscous coupling, that's only on the manuals. Trust me - been underneath and actually had my hands on the things...

BTW - if the test is actually of a 2.5 Legacy then HJ should change the title etc - it threw me..
The "older" automatics with central viscous coupling have an AWD fuse which is used to disable 4wd electronically by disconnecting the solenoid for the viscous coupling - this is the 4EAT autobox fitted to current shape Outbacks.

If you're right Aprilia then I have a very old fuse box and owner's manual in my '06 Outback !!
If you're right Aprilia then I have a very old fuse box and owner's manual
in my '06 Outback !!

It sounds like you have a VTD/VDC AWD on the Outback then (this may differ from the standard Legacy).
The (automatic) VTD cars have the electronically controlled multiplate clutch pack on the transmission (for front-rear torque distribution control) and a geared centre diff (epicyclic diff similar to that used on the Impreza STi). I think these also have an LSD on the back too. The ones without the LSD have ESC fitted and Subaru call that system VDC.
The cheapest system has Haldex-type clutch pack on the transmission and no centre viscous coupling, I think that is what the Legacy 2.0R woud have. The term '4EAT autobox' doesn't mean much, its just a general Subaru descriptor for a 4-sp electronically controlled auto. There have been various '4EAT' models over the years and you would need to have the actual Jatco part no. to know what was inside.
Are you sure the fuse and solenoid you refer to is not for the transfer clutch pack for torque distribution rather than a viscous coupling?
The fuse has to be inserted to disable 4wd for front-suspended tow or roller brake testing, according to the handbook. Outback has lsd as standard, unlike Legacy, according to sales brochure.

The full gearbox code is TZ1B7LFCBB - to be honest, I'm finding it difficult to get accurate information about the car/gearbox - up to '05 model year the 4EAT can use Dexron 3 but '06 4EAT autoboxes must use Subaru specific fluid like all the 5EAT. For the later 4EAT and all 5EAT, Dexron 3 can only be used in emergency and must be removed as sone as possible.
HJ's Legacy 2.0R review - David K

Jeez.......I have an 06 outback and was hoping to learn something about it here...however I lost you after the first VTD/VTC!!

Dave K
Ruperts Trooper

That gearbox code does not mean anything. You are looking for a Jatco code starting 'R' - I think it might be an R4AXEL.
Subaru do about 6 configurations of their AWD system. Only the manuals have a viscous coupling. Your car won't have a viscous coupling - honestly..

Either you have a straghtforward transfer box (on the back end of the ATX) with multiplate clutch in there. Or you have the transfer box plus a geared centre diff. (which may be lockable on some models - I'm not sure).
The fuse and solenoid business is for the transfer box clutch pack.

Idemitsu are the OEM ATF suppliers to Subaru and Nissan. The transmission oil is more highly friction-modified than Dexron III to perform better in slip-type lock-up clutches. Lots of manufacturers seem to be going this way with 'proprietory' ATF's. Its comparable to Toyota/Lexus T-IV, NissanMatic J, Mitsubishi SP-III etc. Best to stick to the OE Subaru stuff really..
HJ's Legacy 2.0R review - Falkirk Bairn
Maybe they have brought back the 2.5 as it is the one that can have an LPG conversion. The 2 & 3 litre apparently have no conversion available
Yes, it seems that for 2008 the Legacy tourer comes with 2.5 or 3.0. The saloon is available with 2.0. HJ needs to re-title his review.
The 2.0 engine is available with LPG in other markets, so I think that whether or not it has LPG in the UK is a marketing decision. I would expect the LPG option to fade away with the intro of the Diesel boxer engine.
Thanks for your input, Aprilia. The transmission code is from the VIN plate, I have no other. After spending an hour reading the owner's manual, it definitely doesn't have VDC as it doesn't light that symbol during the lamp test pre-ignition sequence.