414i poor mpg & performance - skreech
My rover 414i has been for an mot and has failed on the emissions. also i get poor performance and mpg, and the engine will some times idle a bit unsteady going up and down. The car will run ok it just seems to have very poor acceleration power.

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/12/2007 at 18:56

poor mpg + performance - Screwloose

Is it running on all cylinders? Idle control systems can mask a single-cylinder miss - listen to the exhaust for a even flutter.

What were the emission test figures? Both natural and fast idle; CO, HC and Lambda.
poor mpg + performance - skreech
I will check for a cylinder miss , the power loss is quite significant , lambda is 1.045
(co fast idle 0.82% , hc fast idle 320ppm, fail) (co natural 0.45% pass).
thanks
steve..
poor mpg + performance - Screwloose

The HC figure shows that it's not likely to be missing on one cylinder. It's seriously rich; so things like the coolant temp sensor and the MAP pipe to the ECU are your first checks.

Any sound of exhaust manifold leakage?
temp sensor ok resistence seems to be in limits. and map pipe ok. there is a slight hissing but it seems to be coming from around the intake area. and recently i've noticed a slight
whistling sound. engine surging is intermittent. I will check the ex manifold tommorrow for leakage. the car just doesnt have the proper sound to the engine when driving. thanks again steve..
poor mpg + performance - scrapmetal
Is the timing ok? if the exhaust cam is one tooth out it will fail emmissions.
thanks for all the help so far, I'll check all the above when i get achance.